Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think, is there a chance for Arthur(1981)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 04:51 AM

Ok, so far we have a bare bones version of Artur on dvd.  It isn't even widescreen!!!

Early next year the remake of Arthur hits theaters.  Most studios(Including WB) usually release the film that spawns the remake in a better version on Blu-Ray, and dvd.

I'm crossing my fingers for an anamorphic widescreen release of Arthur with special features, and lossless audio on Blu-Ray.  If not I'll settle for a spruced up special edition on dvd.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 05:47 AM

Warner has had this remastered and ready to go since '06 (you can check their comments about it in one of the chat transcripts). I've been wondering what they were waiting for- didn't realize there was a remake coming.That solves that mystery. I would say a Bd release is a given for next year now (it would also be the 30th anniversary anyway).

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 18 2010 - 07:08 AM

There's a remake?  Who are the principals?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 11 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,305 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 18 2010 - 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaulDA 

There's a remake?  Who are the principals?

I had heard that Russell Brand, Jennifer Garner and Helen Mirren were in it. That being said, it doesn't matter who is in it because, like all remakes, the fans of the original are going to complain either way.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

I had heard that Russell Brand, Jennifer Garner and Helen Mirren were in it. That being said, it doesn't matter who is in it because, like all remakes, the fans of the original are going to complain either way.

No complaining here.  I'm looking forward to the remake, and I'm a huge fan.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 18 2010 - 08:41 AM

Helen Mirren in anything automatically makes it something I want to see, so while I quite enjoyed the original, I will not complain about the new one.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Robin_B

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted July 19 2010 - 03:53 AM

Personally speaking it's only Dudley Moore and John Gielgud's performances that make Arthur watchable. Take those performances out and all you have left is a tepid romcom.

Nice to have it on BD as I never did get around to buying it on DVD. Probably should do it as one of the Double Feature BD's cause I can't see me ever forking over money for Arthur 2 on it's own.

"Yeah but secreted from what?"

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 03:01 AM

What does Warner have against Liza Minnelli anyway?  P&S Arthur, nonanamorphic and dismal Cabaret...and no indications they'll ever fix these hideous blots on their record.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 10:49 AM

Had this on Video tape and loved it, actually I would buy it on Blue Ray if it were value priced.

That being said I think using Russell Brand as a new Arthur is a bad mistake, I've never seen RB have any sort of sadness in his acting, no regret, something that Dudley Moore had along with his comic timing. Do I think RB can pull off the comedy SURE, but not the drama.

Brent

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 01:06 PM

I agree with Paul - the remake next year will provide an opportunity to give us a decent Blu-ray of this movie.  I love the original, and have no need to see it redone, as much as I admire the work of Helen Mirren.  I look forward to a good HD transfer of the picture - I can't think the soundtrack will be much more than dialogue in the front channels and music in the surrounds.  I'm not sure if there can be much in the way of extras here, given that Steve Gordon died in 1982, and both Moore and Gielgud have been gone for the past 10 years.  I suppose there could be a retrospective commentary with a film critic like Richard Schickel, but unless there's some kind of big box of on-set footage or deleted scene material, I think just a decent HD transfer of the movie is, forgive the pun, "The Best That You Can Do"...

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Robin_B 
   Probably should do it as one of the Double Feature BD's cause I can't see me ever forking over money for Arthur 2 on it's own.

Yes.  Arthur 2: On the Rocks was almost as entertaining as the original.

housekeeping 2.jpg