What's new

Danny Elfman's 1989 BATMAN score gets a limited complete release July 27, 2010 (2 Viewers)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
From La-La-Land Records http://www.lalalandrecords.com BATMAN (1989): LIMITED EDITION: 2 CD-SET (Expanded Archival Collection) LLLCD 1140 Music by Danny Elfman Limited Edition of 5000 Units Released on July 27th 2010 Price $29.98 As part of our Expanded Archival Collection, La-La Land Records presents the World premiere release of the film version of Danny Elfman’s acclaimed original score to the 1989 Warner Bros. blockbuster BATMAN, starring Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger and directed by Tim Burton. With a running time of 144 minutes, this 2-CD SET, produced by Dan Goldwasser, Neil S. Bulk and MV Gerhard, and remastered by James Nelson, features the previously unreleased film version (mix/edit) of Mr. Elfman’s score, as well as a remastered presentation of the 1989 soundtrack album and never-before-released Bonus Tracks. 20 Page CD Booklet features in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond. Limited Edition of 5000 Units ABOUT THIS RELEASE: In order to present as much music as possible from Batman in the best possible quality, multiple sources were utilized with the best-quality elements selected for each cue on an individual basis. For disc one and the bonus cues on disc two, three sources were used: Eric Tomlinson’s 35mm 4-track mixes, 1/4 inch stereo mixes and a stereo 35mm music only track. The album cues on disc two were sourced from the original digital album master featuring Shawn Murphy’s stereo album mix. TRACK LISTING: Disc One: Original Score (film version) 1. Main Title* (2:42) 2. Family*/First Batman*/Roof Fight* (3:24) 3. Jack Vs. Eckhardt* (1:37) 4. Up Building*/Card Snap* (1:54) 5. Bat Zone*/Axis Set-Up* (1:55) 6. Shootout* (5:42) 7. Dinner Transition*/Kitchen Dinner* (**)/Surgery* (3:00) 8. Face–Off* (**)/Beddy Bye* (3:59) 9. Roasted Dude* (1:03) 10. Vicki Spies (Flowers)* (1:56) 11. Clown Attack* (1:59) 12. Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer* (***) (2:30) 13. Men At Work* (0:33) 14. Paper Spin*/Alicia’s Mask* (0:30) 15. Vicki Gets A Gift* (1:13) 16. Alicia’s Unmasking* (1:10) 17. Batman To The Rescue*/Batmobile Charge*/Street Fight* (4:25) 18. Descent Into Mystery* (1:33) 19. Bat Cave*/Paper Throw* (2:48) 20. The Joker’s Poem* (0:59) 21. Sad Pictures* (0:38) 22. Dream*/Challenge*/Tender Bat Cave* (**) (4:28) 23. Charge Of The Batmobile* (1:43) 24. Joker Flies To Gotham (Unused)*/Batwing I* (0:31) 25. Batwing II*/Batwing III* (6:02) 26. Cathedral Chase* (5:07) 27. Waltz To The Death* (3:58) 28. Showdown I*/Showdown II* (5:05) 29. Finale* (**) (1:47) 30. End Credits* (1:29) Disc One Total Time: 75:40 Disc Two: Original Soundtrack Album (remastered) 1. The Batman Theme (2:37) 2. Roof Fight (1:22) 3. First Confrontation (4:43) 4. Kitchen/Surgery/Face–Off** (3:09) 5. Flowers (1:51) 6. Clown Attack (1:46) 7. Batman To The Rescue (3:57) 8. Roasted Dude (1:02) 9. Photos/Beautiful Dreamer*** (2:31) 10. Descent Into Mystery (1:33) 11. The Bat Cave (2:35) 12. The Joker’s Poem (0:59) 13. Childhood Remembered (2:43) 14. Love Theme** (1:30) 15. Charge Of The Batmobile (1:41) 16. Attack Of The Batwing (4:45) 17. Up The Cathedral (5:05) 18. Waltz To The Death (3:56) 19. The Final Confrontation (3:48) 20. Finale (**) (***) (1:46) 21. Batman Theme Reprise (1:31) Bonus Cues: 22. News Theme* (0:11) 23. Joker’s Commercial* (1:23) 24. Joker’s Muzak (unused)* (1:15) 25. Main Title (alt 1)* (2:42) 26. Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer (alt)* (**) (2:33) 27. Batman To The Rescue (original ending)* (0:52) 28. Charge Of The Batmobile (film edit)* (1:47) 29. Main Title (alt 2)* (2:47) Disc Two Total Time: 68:20 Total Running Time: 144:00 * Previously unreleased ** includes “Scandalous” composed by Prince with John L. Nelson *** includes “Beautiful Dreamer” composed by Stephen Foster Comic-Con attendees can get it there in person prior to its online release date. BATMAN RETURNS will see a similar complete score release later this year from the same label.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I think the existing score was perfectly good, a remastering of it would have been fine. I'm very pleased to see that bit at the end about Batman Returns though. That I look forward to.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
awesome news about the batman returns score. I will get this.

Jacob

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'll be interested in the Batman Returns score if it has any previously unreleased variations on "Face To Face" (Elfman wrote the song, Siouxsie performed it).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'll ask the guys at the La La Land records booth here at Comic-Con tomorrow for you.

Originally Posted by Will_B

I'll be interested in the Batman Returns score if it has any previously unreleased variations on "Face To Face" (Elfman wrote the song, Siouxsie performed it).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ok, so they are still reviewing all the material, the original song will be on there and they may have alternate versions in there bonus cues. They are looking at a late November release!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So I take it no one is interested in this score's complete release, just "Returns"?

Personally I don't understand it because while it's fine for the film I couldn't ever sit through the score on album, so a complete release of that wouldn't appeal to me in the slightest but to each their own.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I do think Returns is the superior score (and movie), even if it's missing the great action que's from the first one. But more importantly the first films released soundtrack was way better than the truncated one they released for 'Returns.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Not so fast, Nicholas! I will be ordering this as soon as it is available online Tuesday. I always thought the score sounded better ("punchier," for lack of a better word) in the film than on the original CD release, so I'm happy to see the film mix available this time around.

I'll also be buying KRULL from the same company.

- Mark

Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

So I take it no one is interested in this score's complete release, just "Returns"?

Personally I don't understand it because while it's fine for the film I couldn't ever sit through the score on album, so a complete release of that wouldn't appeal to me in the slightest but to each their own.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark_TB

Not so fast, Nicholas! I will be ordering this as soon as it is available online Tuesday. I always thought the score sounded better ("punchier," for lack of a better word) in the film than on the original CD release, so I'm happy to see the film mix available this time around.

I'll also be buying KRULL from the same company.

- Mark

I've only got KRULL on CD-R given to me in a trade years ago, so I'm definitely picking it up as well.

One of the more obvious differences between what you hear in the film versus what's on the album is in the mixing of certain instruments.

Take the main title - the "Batman Theme":

In the film after the title appears on screen you hear an array of heavy snare drums pounding away as the brass play the main melody.

However, on the album those snare drums just aren't there.

There are several instances of that kind of thing but the main title is the easiest example to mention.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The guys at La La Land Records are avid score enthusiasts and, by all accounts, work very hard to ensure that the scores they release (the expanded or special editions) are of the finest quality and with the most music that they can fit that makes sense to include.

Talking with them about the upcoming X-Files 4-CD box-set, all that is holding that release up is whittling down 7 CD's worth of material to make the 4-CD release they are allowed to; knowing that dedicated enthusiasts like them are in charge of getting to us, the fans, the very best, is extremely comforting. It seems like a home-grown business, so any support they can get from score fans like us will help more exciting releases come our way in the future.

I have already spent entirely too much money there these past couple of days, and I am tempted to go back and snap up a few more of their deals!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
They saw fit to release my all-time favorite score, "Independence Day", in complete form.

I ordered was submitted early enough that I received one of the autographed copies, of which there were roughly 80 and every one of them sold within the first three minutes of the album being made available for ordering.

For that I am forever indebted to them, especially since after 14 years I'd completely given up hope that it would see an official complete release.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
This is great! First Wrath of Khan, then Search For Spock and now Batman(another favorite of mine)! I'll definitely be getting this and also Batman Returns when it comes out. Thanks Nicholas! This will give me more music to play in the background as I read my Batman comics.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bob - you won't be disappointed with the Batman Expanded Archival release - the sound quality is superb, and the additional tracks are well worth the purchase! Batman Returns is due before year end and is one I am eagerly awaiting too.

Neil

Originally Posted by Bob_S.

This is great! First Wrath of Khan, then Search For Spock and now Batman(another favorite of mine)! I'll definitely be getting this and also Batman Returns when it comes out. Thanks Nicholas! This will give me more music to play in the background as I read my Batman comics.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Ok, so they are still reviewing all the material, the original song will be on there and they may have alternate versions in there bonus cues. They are looking at a late November release!

Thanks for asking Neil! I'm glad they didn't answer "there are rights issues" or anything. I trust that if there's anything to be had (of the Siouxsie collaboration), we may indeed hear it. Thanks again.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I ordered Batman (and Krull) on Tuesday, but it will probably be another week or so until they arrive since I didn't order directly from La La Land. I can't wait to hear Batman. And thanks for the info on Batman Returns, Neil. One more title I need to start saving up for!

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks