Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official INCEPTION Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
164 replies to this topic

#1 of 165 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 07:01 AM

I've been avoiding reading any reviews, however I did check RT and it's currently at 95%.

#2 of 165 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 01:35 PM

Some of those  reviews are using rather extravagant prose to praise this film.  Makes one sit up and take notice.

#3 of 165 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm just so tired of the marketing of "Inception", so I'll be glad to finally see it this weekend, and not have any more of the footage from the commercials shown to me, and lessening its impact.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 165 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 02:45 PM

Very excited about this one. An original screenplay! Hollywood can still produce original screenplays that incorporate original ideas!! Rejoice....

#5 of 165 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 06:34 PM

Saw the extended trailer for the first time during the MLB all star game (I actually started recording the game when I realized it was the long trailer in HD, I originally had no intention to record the game). Now I'm officially pumped! It showed a lot more of the plot/premise, and I can say my anticipation has been heightened. Can't wait to see it!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 165 OFFLINE   Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted July 14 2010 - 06:33 AM

Anybody else see the filming formats Nolan is using for this film?  I happened to check it out at IMDb.

It reads like a list of every format available, 35mm, 65mm, anamorphic, VistaVision, HD Video...

Quote:

Camera
Beaumont VistaVision Camera, Panavision Primo Lenses PanArri 235, Panavision Primo and G-Series Lenses PanArri 435 ES Panavision PFX System 65 Studio, Panavision System 65 Lenses Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Panavision C-, E-, G-Series and Super High Speed Lenses Phantom HD Camera Photo-Sonics 4C Photo-Sonics 4ER   Laboratory Imagica Corporation, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan Laboratoires LTC, Paris, France Technicolor, Hollywood (CA), USA Technicolor, London, UK   Film negative format (mm/video inches) 35 mm (also horizontal) (Kodak Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219) 65 mm (Kodak Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219) Video (HDTV)   Cinematographic process Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format) (some scenes) HDCAM SR (1080p/24) (source format) (high-speed shots) Panavision Super 70 (source format) (some scenes) Panavision (anamorphic) (source format) VistaVision (source format) (aerial shots)   Printed film format 35 mm (Kodak Vision 2383) 70 mm (horizontal) (IMAX DMR blow-up) (Kodak Vision 2383) D-Cinema   Aspect ratio 2.35 : 1

I just thought that was interesting.

Joel

#7 of 165 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Joel Fontenot 

Anybody else see the filming formats Nolan is using for this film?  I happened to check it out at IMDb.

It reads like a list of every format available, 35mm, 65mm, anamorphic, VistaVision, HD Video...

And still, according to Wally Pfister, the camera was on his shoulder for most of the filming:

http://www.cinematic...-wally-pfister/

Some interesting observations about post-production:

Cinematical: At what point does your participation sort of end? Particularly now, you can shoot an image, and you can go into a computer and hypothetically brighten it up, or change it, or whatever. I'm sure you obviously want to get as much on camera as possible, but say on Inception, at what point were you sort of done?

Pfister:
Well, it's really interesting you say that because I absolutely try to get it on the camera, and Chris, as well. And if it means even as much of a speed freak as he is, it means taking another 15 minutes on set - lighting, or whatever I'm doing there – to get it right on camera, he'll let me take that time. We'll do it that way rather than doing some kind of post fix-up job or something. What happens is if you try to change something – alter it, to bend it too far in post – then other things fall apart. The grain structure of the film falls apart. You'll pick up electronic noise. You'll pick up any number of things. The colors can't be forced to separate. You're going to be caught between green and magenta on the color spectrum. All things fall apart when you try to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. So we really have a mantra to try to get it on camera as much as possible.

Now, we know how what we're going to do the end process, so if it purely is a visual effect, then it's really just having the elements that go into the camera that are going to serve that visual effect in the best way. So we really want to know how it's going to work so that when they come back in and they do that work in the end, it all fits in like a puzzle piece and is organic. And that's how we do it, and that's how we make film prints. We don't do [digital intermediates] and everything up there. It takes most people four to five weeks to do a digital intermediate color correction of the film – changing density, changing color, changing contrast, changing hue, whatever. We can go in and film process, and I can time that film in three days. I can time that film in as long as it takes for the lab to turn over a print, because I sit in there in real time with my timer and I say, add a point of yellow, add a point of density, add a point of cyan, boom, boom, boom.

The next day that print comes out, and he goes, "oh, okay, makeup can handle two points of cyan." And we go back in. That's all it is. I expose the film very carefully. And that's the technical side that I have mastered. I expose it carefully, then we print it carefully. The end product is different than a lot of other people do it. The process is different, but it's more accurate, and it's faster, and it's cheaper. We've always yelled that our practice is faster and cheaper. We have no second unit; Chris and I shoot every bit of film on the movie, and that's a cheaper way to do it, than to hire a really big second-unit director, give him 30 million dollars to try to do cool action bits. We can do that, and we integrate it with our master shooting schedule.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 165 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

I'm just so tired of the marketing of "Inception", so I'll be glad to finally see it this weekend, and not have any more of the footage from the commercials shown to me, and lessening its impact.

I haven't seen more than 2 seconds of this commercial for about a month because I want to go in fresh!(in the voice of Frank Costanza)

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#9 of 165 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ScottJH 

Trying to decide if to see it in IMAX or not. Are there scenes shot in IMAX like the Dark Knight? I see 65mm is listed above in the specs from IMDB.

No scenes filmed in IMAX, just the 'regular' kind of 65mm film, which still is pretty exciting, if you ask me.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 165 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,846 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2010 - 12:20 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Inception". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Inception" should be posted to the 
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#11 of 165 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,097 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 16 2010 - 12:36 PM

Didnt want to mention my main gripe in the review thread as this is now the discussion thread. The problem with talking about the final shot means everyone is trying to guess what it will be during the film and why :) I will spoilerize just in case.

Have to say there is a certain point in the film where you kind of knew exactly what the final shot would be and why and I was kind of hoping they wouldn't. Anyone who has seen other films on dreams goes in prepared for this kind of ending and I thought it was clearly signposted at several points in the film, largely to make it not feel like a twist. But I agree with another review I think I read after the film - that last shot is unnecessary - all the discussion and opinions about what is going on in the film are valid without it and I think it is the one scene in the film where Nolan seems to be beating his audience with a stick telling them to "Think, Dammit!!" 

Otherwise flawless.

#12 of 165 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 16 2010 - 12:56 PM

Spoilers...this is the discussion thread.

I think the final shot is a very nice ambiguous shot. It gives everybody what they want. The symbol for me, and i am not particularly interested in determing what reality is, is the age of his children. I was very surprised that they were the same age.

I love the structure of the film. It is all about the purpose of why they are where they are. The film doesn't let go, the hallmark of something special. As with his last 3 films, the craftsmanship is extraordinary. I can't wait to spend some time discussing the film and the narrative. But I want to see it again before delving into it too much. I imagine it will make for a very satisfying rewatch.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#13 of 165 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,097 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:37 PM

Sure its ambiguous but its also obvious and unnecessary - doesnt spoil the film for me, just a little gripe that;s all:)

What was undeniably gripping and tense was pretty much the entire second half of the film. From the moment, they entered the aircraft, it just didn't seem to let up and at no point was the film confusing or difficult to follow, just brilliantly done. I can't wait to see it again.

#14 of 165 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:58 PM

Very obvious. But my audience loved it. Most HTFers are pretty astute moviegoers...while the shot may seem overt for us, it probably worked for more casual audience members without insulting the hardcore. Just my take.

My gripes are very minor as well. So much good material, they are essentially irrelevant.

#15 of 165 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 02:39 PM

Visually, its amazing.

I didnt like the film.

#16 of 165 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,585 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 03:16 PM

I dreamt I saw Inception today and I dreamt I really liked it, but who knows if that is true.

I had high expectations going in and I was not disappointed.  Like many of you, I had a strong feeling pretty early on about what the final shot would be, but I'm not really bothered by it.  It is impressive how well the tension is sustained in the second half of the film.  It was a fast two and a half hours.

#17 of 165 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,664 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hello guys. It's been awhile. :) Just returned from seeing Inception. I really liked it. Lots to absorb and like Chuck, want another viewing & some more time to chew on it b4 I go on....but quickly I loved the ending shot. IDK...the film earned it and it's a nice touch. More later after a 2nd viewing.

Nice to be back on the HTF.

#18 of 165 OFFLINE   dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 03:35 PM

I think this is a higher budget version of ...

eXistenZ.

Did anyone else see this movie on a 4K projector?  It looked really good, can someone confirm this was not an upscale but a 4k transfer?  It had to been because grain was so small and felt non existent.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#19 of 165 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts

Posted July 17 2010 - 01:50 AM

Nice to see you back, Tim!

One of the supporting performances I really liked was Tom Hardy. I expected great work from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Cillian Murphy, and frankly, everyone else. Hardy was a great surprise.

I do not think the film is a mind-fuck. It seems a bit too gentle and clear for that. I do think it is a puzzle box with a variety of solutions. I have already read several great ones.

As usual, I am less concerned with the narrative truth and more interested in the emotional purpose. But I appreciate the layers. And I thought the film was very sadly romantic, thanks in large part to Moll. I was very struck by the depth of feeling in the scene where Cobb first explains their 50 years together, in their own world. That really established the power of that plot.

Some of the dream rules were a bit too precise (5 minutes = 1 hour), but I understand the filmmaking needs.

#20 of 165 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted July 17 2010 - 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Glover 

Hello guys. It's been awhile. :) Just returned from seeing Inception. I really liked it. Lots to absorb and like Chuck, want another viewing & some more time to chew on it b4 I go on....but quickly I loved the ending shot. IDK...the film earned it and it's a nice touch. More later after a 2nd viewing.

Nice to be back on the HTF.

Hey, Tim! Good to see you here. I'm not on these boards as much as I'd like to be either. But a Nolan movie is just the thing to bring the old gang back together.

I was very struck by the depth of feeling in the scene where Cobb first explains their 50 years together, in their own world. That really established the power of that plot.

Amen, Chuck. I don't get the criticisms of this film being "cold". It has more emotion packed into a few moments that most films have in their entire running time.