Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Paths of Glory (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,529 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:43 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:09 AM

Can't wait to pick this one up.  This is my favorite Kubrick film, but I've always had a soft-spot for his early work.  Maybe we can get a Criterion for "The Killing" too!!!!

To be honest, this is one of my least favorite Criterion cover-artworks, but that's a minor detail.

By the way, you posted the back cover artwork for "Seven Samurai"

#3 of 28 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,529 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:23 AM

Corrected.  Thanks, Eric.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 04:46 AM

Eric that is not the final cover.  Criterion hasn't posted the final art yet.

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 05:04 AM

Yeah, same thing happened with Thin Red Line.  I'm hoping it happens again, because that would be an awful cover.

No-brainer purchase for me, one of my favorite Kubricks.

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 09:22 AM

I have never seen this before

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 339 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted July 16 2010 - 12:05 PM

It's Kubrick.  I'll buy it.

Wouldn't it be something if Criterion could find a way to include Fear and Desire as a bonus feature on one of their Kubrick releases?  I know it will probably never happen, but one can hope.

- Mark

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,952 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:19 PM

first of all great news, hopefuly they will pick up the other two from MGM as well, just wish that they could have done Spartacus instead of what we got from Universal. One of my favorite Kubricks period. Now maybe this will give WB the indication to do Bary Lyndon and Lolita on Blu?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,300 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 16 2010 - 03:12 PM

WB will release Lolita and Barry Lyndon eventually, probably when their next Kubrick promotion comes along. I don't see them giving either title (or any title for that matter) to Criterion.

As for The Killing and Killer's Kiss - the former is all but confirmed to be in Criterion's hands, and the latter hasn't really been mentioned.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 28 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 16 2010 - 03:46 PM

This is the first time "Paths of Glory" will be released in widescreen on home video (at least in the US). I am very happy about this as I believe this is one of the Kubrick films that has always been open-matte on video because the director perferred them to be MAR'd for home viewing.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 16 2010 - 06:24 PM

/img/vbsmilies/htf/drum.gifBetween this and the other tread announcing Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" as a 2-disc Criterion BD, my WHOLE MONTH has just been made!!!

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted July 17 2010 - 07:34 AM

Oh, it's in 1.66? As with all the relevant Kubrick films, I'll keep the 4:3 DVD for completeness' sake. But it's great to have this tremendous film given a bit of home video loving at last.

C'mon Warners, where are Lolita and Barry Lyndon? It's a damn shame that they're just gonna sit on them instead of giving Criterion a crack.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 17 2010 - 07:43 AM

This was screened on TV in the UK recently in all it's stunning HD glory; it looked absolutely magnificent at 1080i, and perfectly framed at 1.66:1.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,952 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 17 2010 - 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_TB 

It's Kubrick.  I'll buy it.

Wouldn't it be something if Criterion could find a way to include Fear and Desire as a bonus feature on one of their Kubrick releases?  I know it will probably never happen, but one can hope.

- Mark

actualy if Criterion was to do all three MGM properties,  you are talking about bonus features, what i could see is "day of the fight" going with killers kiss, aside from that Fear and Desire could be released as a stand alone with the rest of Kubrick's eary work "the Seafares" Flying Padre" and released as "Early Kubrick" if a second tier Bergman can rate treatment i think Kubrick's Fear with legitimate release will do great

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 05:54 AM

Criterion released this on Laserdisc 20 years ago. I was one of my first, and greatest, blind buys on that format. Pricey disc - I think it must have been $40 or $50 for a bare bones disc. It will be great to have this in HD.

I wish their arrangement with MGM was even broader though. 10 titles just isn't enough given how deep their catalog is, how many lousy non-anamorphic releases they put out in their life, and few new discs we will see from them in the next few years given their situation.

Criterion should have (or should be) able to negotiate a real sweetheart deal given they are in such dire straits. You would think they would jump at any offer to get money coming in.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 18 2010 - 06:56 AM

I use sections of this in several of my classes and I enjoy it quite a bit so I will be happy to get it for all the extras alone (the hi-def will be icing on the cake).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Scott 

I wish their arrangement with MGM was even broader though. 10 titles just isn't enough given how deep their catalog is, how many lousy non-anamorphic releases they put out in their life, and few new discs we will see from them in the next few years given their situation.

You're going to have to expand on that for those in the dark; 10 titles? And which 10 titles?

Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 09:17 AM

The rumor on the various Criterion forums is that Criterion was able to license at least a dozen and possibly around 2 dozen titles from MGM. (Note: this deal does not include House of Games, Salo, or Pasolini's Trilogy of Life, which Criterion got from MGM in exchange for the Raging Bull commentary.)

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 09:39 AM

Apart from this there should be

Night Of The Hunter

Sweet Smell Of Success

The Killing

Possibly Some Like It Hot

Can't remember some of the other ones mentioned, but I haven't seen any mention of things I was hoping they would score like The Apartment, Jean De Florette/Manon amongst many, many others. The titles I saw mentioned seemed to have a lot of overlap with what they released on Laserdisc, so if you know what they put out then you'll likely be able to anticipate what's coming.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 09:43 AM

Ah; it was the mention of 10 that intrigued, as if the titles were known to all, but I'm aware there are a number of titles. You can add Red River BTW.

Film Journal Blog