Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker matching between different versions (Paradigm specifically)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   PeterK

PeterK

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:34 PM

I know this is probably a more manufacturer specific question. I'm looking for some bookshelves, I'm keeping an eye out for a pair of studio 20s on the used market, I'm in no hurry to buy.

These will only be used as stereo speakers for the next few years at least. (I'm a student, and I move a lot, so no big home theater for me just yet)

My concern is that I don't want to fork out ~$1000 but not be able to timbre match a center channel to these speakers when I buy one some years into the future. Paradigm seems to update their speakers not infrequently, so I'd be concerned that in 5 year's time the center speaker available in the stores might no longer match. Is this a legitimate problem, or does version changing between otherwise meant for each other speakers not matter much?

thanks!

Vin Diesel will never, ever buy Bose

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 15 2010 - 02:03 PM

It is a concern and that's why I built my speakers.  Parts Express has sold the same Dayton models since the mid 90's and I hope they keep it up for a couple more decades.  If I break a speaker, it is a very easy replacement.