Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Alien Anthology (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,158 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 02:37 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 66 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 03:21 AM

HOLY SHIT! I haven't even read the whole thing yet, but the uncut Alien3 doc (although it seems they have changed the title to "Wreckage and Rage")!!!! Also, finally the Burke Cocoon sequence.

So Psyched.

Edit, now that I have read the whole thing, this truly seems to be the most comprehesive set for a series of films ever (at least as far as I can think of).

One questions though, I thought it was reported that Sigourney recorded new commentaries for all four films. Did that never materialize?

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 66 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,684 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 03:34 AM

Our cup runnith over!

Reminded me of the days of laser disc where a release like this could have cost $500.00. So this will be a fantastic deal considering what the street price will be.

In reading the press release, I thought one of the extras was a 1950's or early 60's sci-fi film I once saw on Creature Features because Bob Wilkins who hosted it thought the plot was identical to Alien. A creature on board is killing the crew.

This is like the Blade Runner set in a way! There's going to be a large SciFi overload this spring with so many cool releases coming. And it was interesting to read the press release say The Sound Music is coming too.

As Vasquez would say, "Let's rock!"

I hope a similar set is planned for The Terminator film series.

#4 of 66 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,158 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 03:37 AM

Very excited.  Just preordered my copy through Amazon.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 66 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,068 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 15 2010 - 03:55 AM

Definitely looking forward to this.

#6 of 66 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 04:43 AM

[quote]
Originally Posted by Nelson Au [url=tcfhe-press-release-alien-anthology-blu-ray#post_3710351]

Glad to see it get a release date (and nice that it's pre-Halloween) but with Black Friday just around the corner, I'm going to have to wait for a killer sale- which I'm sure will happen before Christmas.

#7 of 66 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,684 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hey Thanks Paul!

That's the one, It! The Terror From Beyond Space. I'd like to get a copy of that.

[url=http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/c/c9/avatar-60-4.jpg]

#8 of 66 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 06:31 AM

I too am wondering about the Sigourney Weaver commentaries that I had thought she was recording for this release. And there is still one element not carried over from the 1999 20th Anniversary DVD of ALIEN.  While it looks like they included Ridley Scott's commentary from that edition, I don't see the "Production Audio Track" which I really enjoyed from that release.  I hung onto that DVD for that reason - I'm glad I did so. But I have to say, these people are trying to bankrupt me this fall!  Between this, Rocky Horror, the Criterion releases, I'm going to have to start selling lemonade on the corner.  And get a new bookshelf...

#9 of 66 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 08:01 AM

truly outstandig release indeed plus Back to the Future as well
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 66 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 08:31 AM

Bill Hunt has included a note in his update on this that the Sigourney Weaver commentaries were not recorded.  Sigh.

#11 of 66 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 10:14 AM

There's only one thing that bothers me:

All four ALIEN films have been reinvigorated for an intense Blu-ray high-definition viewing experience.

Hopefully, "reinvigorated" is not another term for "digitally remastered"    :)

Pleeeeease, fox, keep these films away from the DNR machine.

#12 of 66 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:05 AM

Wow!!!!! Just some random thoughts: -I see they retitled the Alien 3 documentary "Wreckage and Rage" instead of "Wreckage and Rape" (which was taken from a track on the soundtrack)... no big deal -I noticed the "Parodies" section... the BBFC cleared clips from Spaceballs and Family Guy but I'm hoping they were able to get the "Alienses" parody sketch from the 1986 season premiere of SNL which was hosted by Sigourney Weaver... it was hilarious! -Hopefully all the still galleries will remain intact... the Ridleygrams gallery was incomplete on the Quad set -The Quad set featured two (at least) Easter Eggs: Van Ling on Aliens talking about his home-made power loader costume and David Prior on Resurrection talking about playing a background alien... hopefully these will be carried over -Two isolated scores on Aliens? I was aware that Horner's work was fiddled with but I guess we'll see the extent of the damage come October -No deleted footage markers but I never used them anyway (and the interactive mode might solve that)... no big deal  -I'm eager to find out more about the Alien 3 audio restoration!

#13 of 66 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:35 AM

Disappointed by the lack of Sigourney Weaver commentaries we were all expecting on this set, but they definitely made up for it with the extra deleted scenes and uncut Alien 3 doc.  Plus there's isolated score tracks on ALL the films.  That's a big deal for us soundtrack fans since Goldenthal's full Alien 3 score has never been released on CD.

#14 of 66 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,158 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 66 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:44 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Haden [url=/forum/thread/302219/tcfhe-press-release-alien-anthology-blu-ray#post_3710537]

#16 of 66 OFFLINE   BillyGil

BillyGil

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 12:27 PM

coverage: http://www.homemedia...s-content-20024
";s:7:"insider

#17 of 66 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 02:30 PM

This coming out has absolutely made my YEAR. My all-time favorite movies, with my all-time favorite scores, on my all-time favorite format. The set looks simply amazing. I really cannot wait. Just wonderful!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#18 of 66 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 12:21 AM

I really don't need the fourth film, but what the hell... this is a great release.

#19 of 66 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,027 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:07 AM

Great release.  Can't wait to dig into it.  Lots of great new stuff, and the films in high def...spectacular.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#20 of 66 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 01:15 AM

Whoa!! Now THAT'S an Alien mother lode!!!!  Not much to complain about from me, this is a must have.

I really don't need the fourth film, but what the hell... this is a great release.

While it's far from being a classic Alien Resurrection has grown on me since I first viewed it at the theaters. It's leagues better than  the two craptastic AVP films, of which I'm relieved they didn't include.

Death before Streaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users