Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

M. Night Shyamalan's "Devil"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 15 2010 - 12:33 AM

Be warned it's "a new nightmare from the mind of M.Night Shyamalan", but it's not directed by him.

I thought the trailer looked interesting -

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 11:14 AM

Could be very good.  I like the concept.  It has been a looong time since an actual scary movie has come out.

Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:08 PM

Saw this a couple of days ago, it looks good, at least good enough for a rental.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 11 ONLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,297 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:33 PM

The fact that this film is "not directed by him" is probably a big plus. It might actually be worth watching. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,712 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:58 PM

I just like how that new nightmare tagline inadvertently gains a double meaning, considering his track record lately. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 16 2010 - 04:02 AM

"mmm the trailer looks interesting" I say that whenever a new MNS film comes along, and than I see the film... [bites fist] Hopefully this one is an exception (I always say that too).

Signs was the last film of his I enjoyed, and bought the dvd, and that was... 8 years ago!

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 06:08 AM

I saw Inception last night and they played this trailer.  The audience was pretty into it, until M. Night Shyamalan came up on the screen and half the audience let out an audible groan.  The guy behind me yelled out, "The twist will be that they're not really in an elevator!" and everyone laughed.  I think Night is to the point that he's considered a gimic director, rightly or wrongly.  It's going to impact the movie's take.

Doug

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,155 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted September 17 2010 - 07:21 AM

Devil (2010) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

John Erick Dowdle

Simple story of five strangers entering an elevator when it breaks down and the group begins to get picked off one by one.  A Detective (Chris Messina), dealing with his own haunted past, watches from a security cam trying to find out what's going on but soon they begin to realize they're working with a force they can't stop.  Right off the bat I'm going to say this is the most disappointing movie of the year.  I say this because the story itself, by M. Night Shyamalan, is so simple in structure that you could do so many great things with it.  The story itself is a very good one as being stuck with strangers while they're being picked off by the devil is something interesting but what really hurts the film is its direction.  For the life of me I'm not sure why Shyamalan himself didn't direct this as the small structure is something that I'm sure he could have handled and I think it would have helped his career get back on track.  This film runs a very quick 72-minutes without the end credits so everything pretty much happens at a fast pace.  I really enjoyed that they did it this way but the direction doesn't create enough atmosphere or tension early on.  I think this here is what really brings the film down because being in a tight spot like an elevator should leave you feeling claustrophobic but this never happens.  As the movie went along I couldn't help but find myself enjoying the characters and the story but at the same time thinking to myself that this thing should be so much better.  I think better direction would have really helped this thing because there so many good things in the screenplay that needed to be explored.  The screenplay itself plays out in a simple fashion but I enjoyed the small back stories given to all the characters and how these come into play as the story works itself out.  The performances aren't anything that's going to bring Oscars but they're good enough for this type of films with Messina leading the way as the Detective.  Jenny O'Hara, Bokeem Woodbine, Geoffrey Arend, Logan Marshall-Green and Bojana Novakovic play the people trapped and I enjoyed each of them.  Shyamalan's name is all over this thing and I think the story of his is a very good one but what makes this film worth viewing is one sequence that I won't spoil.  When the twist comes in the story it really took me by surprise and I must admit that it sent cold shivers throughout my body and I thought it was extremely effective.  This part of the film certainly pulled the rug out from under me and it certainly made everything else worth sitting through.  I'm sure most of the movie was building up to this one moment and for me it was extremely effective.  With that being said, DEVIL is a good little movie but at the same time you can't help but say it should have been much, much better.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 20 2010 - 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott 

Devil (2010) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

John Erick Dowdle

Simple story of five strangers entering an elevator when it breaks down and the group begins to get picked off one by one.  A Detective (Chris Messina), dealing with his own haunted past, watches from a security cam trying to find out what's going on but soon they begin to realize they're working with a force they can't stop.  Right off the bat I'm going to say this is the most disappointing movie of the year.  I say this because the story itself, by M. Night Shyamalan, is so simple in structure that you could do so many great things with it.

The story itself is a very good one as being stuck with strangers while they're being picked off by the devil is something interesting but what really hurts the film is its direction.  For the life of me I'm not sure why Shyamalan himself didn't direct this as the small structure is something that I'm sure he could have handled and I think it would have helped his career get back on track.  This film runs a very quick 72-minutes without the end credits so everything pretty much happens at a fast pace.

I really enjoyed that they did it this way but the direction doesn't create enough atmosphere or tension early on.  I think this here is what really brings the film down because being in a tight spot like an elevator should leave you feeling claustrophobic but this never happens.  As the movie went along I couldn't help but find myself enjoying the characters and the story but at the same time thinking to myself that this thing should be so much better.  I think better direction would have really helped this thing because there so many good things in the screenplay that needed to be explored.

The screenplay itself plays out in a simple fashion but I enjoyed the small back stories given to all the characters and how these come into play as the story works itself out.  The performances aren't anything that's going to bring Oscars but they're good enough for this type of films with Messina leading the way as the Detective.  Jenny O'Hara, Bokeem Woodbine, Geoffrey Arend, Logan Marshall-Green and Bojana Novakovic play the people trapped and I enjoyed each of them.

Shyamalan's name is all over this thing and I think the story of his is a very good one but what makes this film worth viewing is one sequence that I won't spoil.  When the twist comes in the story it really took me by surprise and I must admit that it sent cold shivers throughout my body and I thought it was extremely effective.  This part of the film certainly pulled the rug out from under me and it certainly made everything else worth sitting through.  I'm sure most of the movie was building up to this one moment and for me it was extremely effective.  With that being said, DEVIL is a good little movie but at the same time you can't help but say it should have been much, much better.

Had to add some breaks so I could read that.

anyway watching the blu ray now.

I think it's pretty good.
Some pretty good scares and a mystery about what's going on is good too.

facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   scream

scream

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 01:03 PM

Alright I would love to know why everyone hates Night, He makes so pretty good movies 'DEVIL" was a vary good movie for 2010 and it good they released it last year because it wouldnt have been popular in 2011 because of  all the big relsese coming out like. Scre4m Posted Image jeepers creepers 3, final destinstion 5Posted Image remake childs play  Posted Image the strangers 2 Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 09:15 AM

I thought it was a pretty good horror film. Great buildup, sustained tension, and an awesome payoff.

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P