Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Star Trek curiosity...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 08:22 AM

For some reason, I ventured onto the website of King Media Services, the company that produced all of the recent Star Trek DVD/Blu-Ray bonus features. Listed on their "In Development" page is something called “Star Trek Motion Pictures: Beyond the Final Frontier” which they claim will be "the very first complete history of the 'Star Trek' film franchise."

Scroll to the bottom: http://www.kingmedia...evelopment.html

Hmm... I wonder if this could be something for TV or if they're already producing bonus features for the inevitable (and hopefully DNR-free) Blu-Ray double-dip. IMHO, it also begs the question, "Why wasn't something like this done years ago?"

The mind wanders... /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#2 of 19 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 09:32 AM

There have been both printed and media (CD-ROM) versions of the "Star Trek Encyclopedia" by Michael and Denise Okuda issued over the years.

I believe the latest one that was issued to CD-ROM covers all the TV series through the third season of Voyager as well as the first eight feature films.  It notably includes a "History of James T. Kirk" video narrated by Mark Lenard.  You almost need a Windows 95 "Virtual Machine" setup to view it, though, since it depends on a version of QuickTime that's no longer supported.

The "Memory Alpha" site currently hosts a good deal of the work of the Okuda's:

http://memory-alpha....iki/Portal:Main

In any event, at one time there was already a "History of the Star Trek Universe" available in multiple formats.

BTW, the worst thing about the current Blu-rays is the fact that the Okuda Trivia Tracks produced for the DVDs are not included.  IMO that omission is even worse that the excessive DNR which was present in a few of the movies.

Joseph
---------------

#3 of 19 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 09:53 AM

The subject is the history of the films' productions-- not the fictional universe they inhabit.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#4 of 19 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs 

The subject is the history of the films' productions-- not the fictional universe they inhabit.

Ohhh .... "Never mind"!

Joseph
---------------

#5 of 19 sark28

sark28

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hopefully this means we'll finally get the Director's Edition of STAR TREK: TMP in 1080p.  Maybe they'll finally let Shatner tweak STV.

#6 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 06:56 PM

Unless somebody saved the original CGI animation files after Foundation Imaging closed up shop, the DE FX shots are stuck in SD resolution.

#7 of 19 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,753 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by SilverWook 

Unless somebody saved the original CGI animation files after Foundation Imaging closed up shop, the DE FX shots are stuck in SD resolution.

I can't imagine they weren't saved, or that Paramount doesn't own the rights to them. Even in the unlikely event they weren't saved, they could be re-done, like the episodes of the original series. As I have mentioned elsewhere, the other shows - TNG, DS9 - that were produced on video really need to be re-done for high def if Paramount ever wants them to have a chance of being discovered by a new generation. The 2002-2003 DVDs look very poor in comparison to today's high-def - or even standard def - standards.

#8 of 19 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by SilverWook 

Daren Dochterman has stated on the Trek Movie site that he has the original files for TMP and that it is possible to re-render them at HD resolution.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted July 16 2010 - 11:57 AM

That's certainly good news!

#10 of 19 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts

Posted July 19 2010 - 12:57 PM

I hae been disappointed in the Star Trek blu-ray releases. I bought ST VI and was disappointed that the extra minute that was added to the dd release was not included. I hae the director's cut for both ST-TMP and ST II and I see no reason to buy the movie only blu-ray.

#11 of 19 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 07:56 AM

There are 3 and 1/2 minutes cut from the blu-ray that were part of every previous home video release.

#12 of 19 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 28 2010 - 01:14 PM

Which BD?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#13 of 19 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted July 28 2010 - 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDA 

Which BD?

Star Trek VI. On VHS, LD, and the first non-SE DVD, the cut presented was slightly longer than the theatrical version. This was known as the "Special Home Video Version."

For the 2-disc SE DVD, Nicholas Meyer retained those additions and made a few extra adjustments.

For the Blu-Ray, what is presented is the original theatrical version, which had never been available on home video. It's also in 2.35:1 whereas the previous versions were opened up to 2:1 (more or less). (Trek VI was the only Trek film shot in Super 35.)

#14 of 19 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 29 2010 - 06:21 AM

The previous home video versions of Trek 6 were 3 min and 25 seconds of added footage.

The S.E. was 3 min and 28 seconds due to Meyer adjusting a few shots.

The blu-ray is therefore about 3 1/2 minutes shorter than the other versions.

#15 of 19 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 29 2010 - 06:50 AM

I've always wanted the theatrical cut (I'm not a fan of the "reveal" regarding the assassin), so I'm not unhappy to have it available (I already have the SE DVD).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#16 of 19 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,618 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 29 2010 - 05:25 PM

I hung onto TMP, TWoK and TUC 2 disc DVD's for this reason.  I'm a major completist.

#17 of 19 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,646 posts

Posted July 29 2010 - 07:23 PM

I actually hung onto all of the 2-disc DVDs because of the Okuda text commentaries, which were not carried over to the Blu-rays.

TMP and TWOK are still out front with the Blus due to the different cuts on display.  TUC I'm fine to have up in the attic.  I can always go get it if I need an extra dose of Colonel West...

#18 of 19 MattBradley

MattBradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sark28 

Hopefully this means we'll finally get the Director's Edition of STAR TREK: TMP in 1080p.  Maybe they'll finally let Shatner tweak STV.

William Shatner was recently in Tulsa and I had a chance to ask him one question. I asked him if Paramount gave him the money to complete his vision, would he do it. His response was, "Hell no"

What is understood need not be discussed.

#19 of 19 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MattBradley

William Shatner was recently in Tulsa and I had a chance to ask him one question. I asked him if Paramount gave him the money to complete his vision, would he do it. His response was, "Hell no"

I'm actually pretty okay with that.  It would take a lot more than a bunch of rockmen chasing Kirk up a mountain to fix that movie.

I wonder if the Beyond the Final Frontier project is something like the recent horror documentaries, like His Name Was Jason and Never Sleep Again.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users