What's new

Best TV line up...ever! (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ok, search your memory banks. The one tv lineup(sequence of shows that aired the same night from anytime in history, not necessarily back to back. Also not network specific) that gave you the most joy.

It was a tough deal to pick but I'd have to say:

Friday nights CBS circa 1979:

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Incredible Hulk 8:00-9:00
The Dukes of Hazard 9:00-10:00
[/COLOR]

Still get chills thinking about that line up.

Duane R

Second Unit
Wasn't Dallas on after that? There's a hat trick for you. I remember being glued to the TV for 3 hours on Friday nights on a regular basis watching those shows...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
3 come to mind:

NBC, 1986, Thursday Night:

Cosby - Family Ties - Cheers - Night Court - LA Law

Wow.

NBC, 1991, Thursday Night:

Cosby-Different World-Cheers-Wings-LA Law

83, CBS, Monday:

M*A*S*H - Newhart - Cagney & Lacey

But also in that list I'd add:

Sunday, Showtime:

Dexter/Weeds

But this one, non network, would go down as maybe the greatest combo of hours ever, from HBO

Sopranos / Six Feet Under

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Duane R

Wasn't Dallas on after that? There's a hat trick for you. I remember being glued to the TV for 3 hours on Friday nights on a regular basis watching those shows...

I never watched Dallas. But if you liked all three shows then it was like a line up nirvana.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The one I remember from 1984-1986 had Hill Street Blues at 10pm Eastern. LA Law moved to the 10pm slot either December 1986 or early January 1987 after it premiered with less than stellar ratings on Friday behind Miami Vice. Both work pretty well since I think the Drama's at their peak were pretty equal series.

1978 ABC -- Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Taxi, Starsky and Hutch (of course a fairly weak finish since I never was much of a Starsky fan).

I think this may be the highlight slam dunk winner at least for best comedy night ever on TV:

1973 CBS Saturday -- All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bryan,

This is a great idea for a thread IMO. :)

I have two or three line-ups that I cherished and really enjoyed back in the day.

In 1967-1968, I loved the line-up of Batman, The Flying Nun, Bewitched, and That Girl. I was too young at the time to be allowed to watch Peyton Place consistently, which I think began at 9:30 or 10:00. And at the same time on another network, Lost In Space, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and He & She aired. (I rarely watched Dundee and the Culhane.) I would watch this (for me) second tier every now and then on nights I didn't (or for some reason couldn't) watch the first listed line-up. {In 1968-1969, Peyton Place followed Here Come the Brides, and as such was on earlier. It was then that I got to watch some of the episodes from that wonderful show with my mom. When we didn't watch that show, we got a fair does of another favorite of mine, Julia.}

Another line-up of mine that I really appreciated was in 1970-1971. I watched The Brady Bunch, Nanny and the Professor, The Patrtidge Family, and That Girl. As was the case with Peyton Place, I rarely got to see Love, American Style. But, when I was babysitting (either for my neighbors or for my sister), I then got to watch Love, American Style, and really enjoyed that show as well.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

But this one, non network, would go down as maybe the greatest combo of hours ever, from HBO

Sopranos / Six Feet Under

Definitely with you on that one...and didn't 'The Wire' air along with either Sopranos or Six Feet Under at some point?

I remember enjoying Wings, Cheers & Seinfeld back to back to back for a short while.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by mattCR

3 come to mind:

Wow.

That is pretty great.

I thought NBC 1993-94 was pretty good on names but maybe the shows weren't at their peak.

Mad About You - Wings - Seinfeld - Frasier

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
NBC Saturdays in the late 1980's:

Amen

The Golden Girls

Empty Nest

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1973 CBS Saturday -- All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett

And it wasn't just 1973. How many straight years did that same powerhouse line-up dominate Saturday nights? In those mostly pre-cable, pre-VCR days the other networks simply didn't exist in our house. (And, of course, they were all shows that every member of the family could enjoy, and that on one had to squirm or feel embarassed by while watching with the others. Try doing that now with a network primetime line-up from 8 PM to 11 PM.)

Regards,

Joe

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
2009-10

Community - Parks & Rec - The Office - 30 Rock is the most solid comedy line-up NBC ever had. Such a shame P&R isn't coming back until mid-season.

If NBC had an ER or LA Law (or even an L&O) at the 10 spot, it would have been epic. Leno obviously doesn't cut it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

And it wasn't just 1973. How many straight years did that same powerhouse line-up dominate Saturday nights? In those mostly pre-cable, pre-VCR days the other networks simply didn't exist in our house. (And, of course, they were all shows that every member of the family could enjoy, and that on one had to squirm or feel embarassed by while watching with the others. Try doing that now with a network primetime line-up from 8 PM to 11 PM.)

Regards,

Joe

Actually I don't think that specific combination lasted too long since MASH was on Monday for much of its run.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hadn't remembered MASH being in so many places though late 70's early 80's I do remember it being a Monday night staple.

All in the Family certainly moved its share as well. Monday and Sunday paired with Maude for awhile.

The Jeffersons were in the Saturday lineup for a couple years, but I don't think they ever found that 4th sitcom to completely dominate the night and seemed to use it to try out new show since CBS knew it had a strong bracket.

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
CBS Sunday 1979-1982

60 Minutes

Archie Bunker's Place

One Day at a Time

Alice

The Jeffersons

Trapper John MD

A very popular combo, regardless of what what one thinks of the shows.

CBS Monday 1979:

The White Shadow

MASH

WKRP in Cincinnati (and if they had left it here it could have lasted a few more years)

Lou Grant

CBS Monday 1987-88:

Kate & Allie

Frank's Place

Newhart

Designing Women

Cagney & Lacey

ABC Tuesday 1989-90:

Who's the Boss?

Wonder Years

Roseanne

Coach

thirtysomething

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Thursdays 1984-85 the true original "Must see TV" NBC

Cosby

Family Ties

Cheers

Night Court

Hill Street

Best night of TV ever? I think so.

PS Hanson, how do you think these 4 comedies compare to your set?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Dheiner

Thursdays 1984-85 the true original "Must see TV" NBC

Cosby

Family Ties

Cheers

Night Court

Hill Street

Best night of TV ever? I think so.

PS Hanson, how do you think these 4 comedies compare to your set?

Well, the inclusion of HSB at 10pm blows my Thursday out of the water. But strictly on the merit of the comedies, I'd give the nod to my picks mostly because I was never a fan of Cosby.

I was trying to find a good season that had Friends and Seinfeld, but both of the other shows were weak. So I couldn't put that up there.

Oh, and how about Sunday Fox, 2003?

Oliver Beene

King of the Hill

Simpsons

The Ortegas

Malcolm in the Middle
Arrested Development

Yes, Oliver Beene and The Ortegas were dogs, but that 2 great hours of TV right there, including two legendary shows.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Saturday Morning Cartoons in late 60's.

Johnny Quest

Space Ghost

The Herculoids

Rocky and Bulkwinkle

George of the Jungle

Mighty Mouse

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Yogi Bear

Quick Draw McGraw

Magilla Gorilla

Ricochet Rabbit

Atom Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks