-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best TV line up...ever!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,595 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 05:10 AM

Ok, search your memory banks. The one tv lineup(sequence of shows that aired the same night from anytime in history, not necessarily back to back. Also not network specific) that gave you the most joy.

It was a tough deal to pick but I'd have to say:

Friday nights CBS circa 1979:

The Incredible Hulk 8:00-9:00
The Dukes of Hazard 9:00-10:00

Still get chills thinking about that line up.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 31 Duane R

Duane R

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 05:52 AM

Wasn't Dallas on after that? There's a hat trick for you. I remember being glued to the TV for 3 hours on Friday nights on a regular basis watching those shows...

Six worlds prayed to her, they built her temples, conquered planets, and yet one day she still rode off and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying he said "We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?" and she looked down upon him and she whispered, "Because I can".

#3 of 31 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 11 2010 - 06:26 AM

3 come to mind:

NBC, 1986, Thursday Night:

Cosby - Family Ties - Cheers - Night Court - LA Law

Wow.

NBC, 1991, Thursday Night:

Cosby-Different World-Cheers-Wings-LA Law

83, CBS, Monday:

M*A*S*H - Newhart - Cagney & Lacey

But also in that list I'd add:

Sunday, Showtime:

Dexter/Weeds

But this one, non network, would go down as maybe the greatest combo of hours ever, from HBO

Sopranos / Six Feet Under

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 31 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,595 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Duane R 

Wasn't Dallas on after that? There's a hat trick for you. I remember being glued to the TV for 3 hours on Friday nights on a regular basis watching those shows...

I never watched Dallas.  But if you liked all three shows then it was like a line up nirvana.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#5 of 31 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 11 2010 - 09:20 AM

The one I remember from 1984-1986 had Hill Street Blues at 10pm Eastern.   LA Law moved to the 10pm slot either December 1986 or early January 1987 after it premiered with less than stellar ratings on Friday behind Miami Vice.  Both work pretty well since I think the Drama's at their peak were pretty equal series.

1978 ABC -- Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Taxi, Starsky and Hutch (of course a fairly weak finish since I never was much of a Starsky fan). 

I think this may be the highlight slam dunk winner at least for best comedy night ever on TV:

1973 CBS Saturday  -- All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett

#6 of 31 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,121 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 10:50 AM

Bryan,

This is a great idea for a thread IMO. :)

I have two or three line-ups that I cherished and really enjoyed back in the day.

In 1967-1968, I loved the line-up of Batman, The Flying Nun, Bewitched, and That Girl.  I was too young at the time to be allowed to watch Peyton Place consistently, which I think began at 9:30 or 10:00.  And at the same time on another network, Lost In Space, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and He & She aired.  (I rarely watched Dundee and the Culhane.)  I would watch this (for me) second tier every now and then on nights I didn't (or for some reason couldn't) watch the first listed line-up.  {In 1968-1969, Peyton Place followed Here Come the Brides, and as such was on earlier.  It was then that I got to watch some of the episodes from that wonderful show with my mom.  When we didn't watch that show, we got a fair does of another favorite of mine, Julia.}

Another line-up of mine that I really appreciated was in 1970-1971.  I watched The Brady Bunch, Nanny and the Professor, The Patrtidge Family, and That Girl.  As was the case with Peyton Place, I rarely got to see Love, American Style.  But, when I was babysitting (either for my neighbors or for my sister), I then got to watch Love, American Style, and really enjoyed that show as well.

#7 of 31 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

But this one, non network, would go down as maybe the greatest combo of hours ever, from HBO

Sopranos / Six Feet Under

Definitely with you on that one...and didn't 'The Wire' air along with either Sopranos or Six Feet Under at some point?

I remember enjoying Wings, Cheers & Seinfeld back to back to back for a short while.

#8 of 31 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

3 come to mind:

Wow.

That is pretty great.

I thought NBC 1993-94 was pretty good on names but maybe the shows weren't at their peak.

Mad About You - Wings - Seinfeld - Frasier

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#9 of 31 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 11 2010 - 04:09 PM

NBC Saturdays in the late 1980's:

Amen

The Golden Girls

Empty Nest

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 31 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 12 2010 - 06:51 AM

1973 CBS Saturday  -- All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett

And it wasn't just 1973.  How many straight years did that same powerhouse line-up dominate Saturday nights?  In those mostly pre-cable, pre-VCR days the other networks simply didn't exist in our house.   (And, of course, they were all shows that every member of the family could enjoy, and that on one had to squirm or feel embarassed by while watching with the others.  Try doing that now with a network primetime line-up from 8 PM to 11 PM.)

Regards,

Joe

#11 of 31 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,407 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 07:48 AM

2009-10

Community - Parks & Rec - The Office - 30 Rock is the most solid comedy line-up NBC ever had.  Such a shame P&R isn't coming back until mid-season.

If NBC had an ER or LA Law (or even an L&O) at the 10 spot, it would have been epic.  Leno obviously doesn't cut it.

#12 of 31 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 13 2010 - 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino 

And it wasn't just 1973.  How many straight years did that same powerhouse line-up dominate Saturday nights?  In those mostly pre-cable, pre-VCR days the other networks simply didn't exist in our house.   (And, of course, they were all shows that every member of the family could enjoy, and that on one had to squirm or feel embarassed by while watching with the others.  Try doing that now with a network primetime line-up from 8 PM to 11 PM.)

Regards,

Joe

Actually I don't think that specific combination lasted too long since MASH was on Monday for much of its run.

#13 of 31 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 02:55 AM

68-69 Friday nights

Wild WIld West on CBS

Star Trek on NBC

Doug

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#14 of 31 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 13 2010 - 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Wallen 

68-69 Friday nights

Wild WIld West on CBS

Star Trek on NBC

Doug

Followed by The Name of the Game on NBC.  I had a mad crush on Susan St. James.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Actually I don't think that specific combination lasted too long since MASH was on Monday for much of its run.

Nearly half its run, in fact.  And it turns out that specific line up was only during the 1973/74 season.  Well, you know what they say.  The memory's the first thing to ...

What were we talking about?

In 1972 M*A*S*H had aired on Sunday nights, and from 74/75 until 78/79 it bounced around some - from Tuesday to Friday and back to Tuesday for another two seasons - before finally settling on Monday nights from 78/79 until the finale in 1983.

In 1974 CBS tried the short-lived MTM series, Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers in the old M*A*S*H slot.  I can't for the life of me remember what replaced it.  Did The Jeffersons originally air in the post-AitF slot?  I still remember a solid block of must-watch comedies on CBS on Saturday nights for years at a stretch, but I can't recall what the second show in the line-up was, and don't have time to research all this stuff at work.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

#15 of 31 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 13 2010 - 05:01 AM

I hadn't remembered MASH being in so many places though late 70's early 80's I do remember it being a Monday night staple.

All in the Family certainly moved its share as well.   Monday and Sunday paired with Maude for awhile.

The Jeffersons were in the Saturday lineup for a couple years, but I don't think they ever found that 4th sitcom to completely dominate the night and seemed to use it to try out new show since CBS knew it had a strong bracket.

#16 of 31 JanuaryMan

JanuaryMan

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 07:28 AM

CBS Sunday 1979-1982

60 Minutes

Archie Bunker's Place

One Day at a Time

Alice

The Jeffersons

Trapper John MD

A very popular combo, regardless of what what one thinks of the shows.

CBS Monday 1979:

The White Shadow

MASH

WKRP in Cincinnati (and if they had left it here it could have lasted a few more years)

Lou Grant

CBS Monday 1987-88:

Kate & Allie

Frank's Place

Newhart

Designing Women

Cagney & Lacey

ABC Tuesday 1989-90:

Who's the Boss?

Wonder Years

Roseanne

Coach

thirtysomething

#17 of 31 Dheiner

Dheiner

Screenwriter

• 1,860 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted July 13 2010 - 08:35 AM

Thursdays 1984-85 the true original "Must see TV" NBC

Cosby

Family Ties

Cheers

Night Court

Hill Street

Best night of TV ever?  I think so.

PS  Hanson, how do you think these 4 comedies compare to your set?

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#18 of 31 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 10:36 AM

Everything mentioned beats this sparse lineup Posted Image

#19 of 31 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,407 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dheiner 

Thursdays 1984-85 the true original "Must see TV" NBC

Cosby

Family Ties

Cheers

Night Court

Hill Street

Best night of TV ever?  I think so.

PS  Hanson, how do you think these 4 comedies compare to your set?

Well, the inclusion of HSB at 10pm blows my Thursday out of the water.  But strictly on the merit of the comedies, I'd give the nod to my picks mostly because I was never a fan of Cosby.

I was trying to find a good season that had Friends and Seinfeld, but both of the other shows were weak.  So I couldn't put that up there.

Oh, and how about Sunday Fox, 2003?

Oliver Beene

King of the Hill

Simpsons

The Ortegas

Malcolm in the Middle
Arrested Development

Yes, Oliver Beene and The Ortegas were dogs, but that 2 great hours of TV right there, including two legendary shows.

#20 of 31 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,084 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted July 13 2010 - 04:36 PM

Saturday Morning Cartoons in late 60's.

Johnny Quest

Space Ghost

The Herculoids

Rocky and Bulkwinkle

George of the Jungle