-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha HTR 6030 receiver "check sp cable" message

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 soureel

soureel

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 12:35 AM

First, I've researched this problem and I know that in most cases it is caused by speaker wires which are making contact and shorting each other out. I've followed all the suggested steps, including checking my connections, disconnecting one speaker at a time, re-stripping and reconnecting wires. The receiver is still cutting off. It seems to happen mostly when there is a "heavy load" on the receiver, e.g. watching the movie Transformers, where there are lots of explosions, rock music sound track, etc., with the volume cranked up. The problem doesn't occur at all when my source is TV or radio played at "normal" volume.

If I eliminate the speaker connections as the problems, I'm thinking there must be some sort of circuit breaker in the amp that kicks in when there is a spike in power output (ok, I don't know very much about electronics). If that's the case, then I'm at the point where I have to decide whether it's worth it to have it repaired. The unit is 2 1/2 years old and out of warranty, so I suppose there's no need to send it to an authorized Yahama repair shop.

What to do? Any additional suggestions about troubleshooting, or whether it's worth it to have it repaired?

Thanks!

Lee

#2 of 7 soureel

soureel

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 05:44 AM

Well, no one posted a relevant response to my query, but here's an update. I took the receiver to a local repair shop. These people appeared to know what they are doing (but they're kinda like auto mechanics aren't they? You have to trust that they are honest and knowledgeable). They ran the receiver at a high volume, ran Yamaha diagnostics, and found nothing wrong with the receiver. So I brought it back home, replaced speaker cables for two of 5 speakers (wiring for the other speakers had been replaced recently). I ran the receiver through a couple of movies using just the main (front) speakers and subwoofer- no cut-out. Then I added the center speaker- everything was fine. Then I added the left rear speaker- no problem; next the right rear speaker- the receiver cut off after about 20 minutes. I removed the right rear speaker. Everything's fine. I think I've isolated the problem. A couple of days later, the receives gives the "check sp cable" error and shuts off, with the right rear speaker still disconnected. I disconnect all rear speakers, run the receiver for a while- no problems. Then I get the "check sp cable" error again (with just the front speakers connected) and the receiver shuts off.

I'd love some ideas about what to do from here. Call it quits with this receiver and buy another one? Obviously, it's unsellable in this condition. I've gone through all the logical options I can think of. I could send it to an authorized Yamaha repair shop, which is 400 miles away, but is it worth it for a receiver that my local guy has given a clean bill of health- plus, the receiver is 3 years old.

Lee

#3 of 7 aazam

aazam

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 17 2011 - 05:04 AM

I am having the same issue with my HTR 6140 and it is so annoying. I am wondering if you found any solution to the problem? :(

#4 of 7 chrisbinva

chrisbinva

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 03:07 AM

:confused: Happens with my Yamaha HTR-5740 also. Cannot turn it up because of this.

#5 of 7 matty1973m

matty1973m

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 09:57 AM

damn l have the same problem with my yam rxv 365 and same situation warranty ran out :f (DOING MY HEAD IN)

#6 of 7 gumby007

gumby007

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 02:34 AM

I have been recently having the same problem with my Yamaha receiver. One thing I did last night and have yet to have the error message is replace my optical audio cable. I had a digital optical from my PS3 to my receiver, but since I have replaced it, I have yet to have the error. Just a thought. This may also be why the tuner and aux inputs don't have the same effect. Is everyone else using a digital optical audio that is having this problem?

#7 of 7 RichFair

RichFair

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 02 2012 - 11:55 AM

So I too have this issue trying to watch Thor, I found this site that suggests it is the digital optical audio cable. Mine are as old as my Yamaha unit is so I will replace it and hope for the best. I hope this helps us all; good luck! http://www.fixya.com...ble_yamaha_v365