Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Sony BDP S360 Harry Potter HBP problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 08 2010 - 06:09 PM

I finally got my first blu-ray player, a Sony BDP S360.  On the first disk I played, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I had numerous audio dropouts.  Is this a bad model, bad player, or a problem that can be fixed via firmware? Disk is absolutely perfect, brand new no scratches.

#2 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 08 2010 - 07:28 PM

I also noticed that the dropouts occur in the same places.  Could this be an audio setting?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 09 2010 - 03:00 AM

Have you updated the firmware since purchasing the player?

That is one of the first things I do when installing a new Blu-ray player.

#4 of 6 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 22 2010 - 09:26 AM

Well, I figured out what was wrong.  I forget exactly which selection it was but I had to put the audio in TV mode.  I later noticed that the audio was out of lip sync. I upgraded the firmware, but the problem still happens off and on.  I also had this problem with my Sony DVD.  How does Sony managed to have the same problems even on a different format.  Should I return this or is there any possibility this will be corrected with future firmware updates?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 22 2010 - 09:35 AM

How is your digital audio connected, via HDMI or optical/coaxial? I've heard that high-resolution digital audio will have problems if the HDMI cable is rated less than 1.3 and if you're using optical/coaxial some older receivers have problems with the higher bitrate of the core digital bitstream.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted July 22 2010 - 09:41 AM

If it only happens with that one disc, it's probably a bad disc, even though it's new. It happens sometimes. If it happens with more than one disc, and you've updated the firmware, tell Sony about it. If you know someone with a BD player, try it in their player. If it happens there too, you'll know it's the disc. If it doesn't happen in their's, exchange the player since it's still new.

Good luck!

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...