Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season Seven

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,700 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 12:22 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,354 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 07 2010 - 12:29 PM

Well, I do wonder if "It's A Long Way To Tipperary" will be cut from the final episode, but hey, at least the series will finally be done... with bonus features, too.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,526 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 12:35 PM

I don't think we'll see that cut but I am rather sure we will NOT hear Ted's singing of "Tonight" in "Mary's Three Husbands". And let's not forget Mary's hilarious "One For My Baby" rendition that is also a S7 classic.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,671 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thanks to Fox for bringing this to conclusion!  Much appreciated.  As with all previous seasons, this is a "must buy". Since we do have a regular Fox Insider on HTF....Mr. Finn, are you able to comment on the status of the "musical" performances on S7?  Hopefully Fox was able to secure clearances for these.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,536 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 01:16 PM

Is "Mary's Big Party" the episode that Johnny Carson "appears" in? Can't wait to pre-order this!!!!!

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 01:53 PM

While there's no way they could cut "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" from the finale under any circumstance (there would be no ending to the series), it's a moot point anyway: the song is in the public domain.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 02:36 PM

Well, just because a song is in public domain doesn't mean it's guaranteed that it won't be removed. CBS removed "Give my Regards to Broadway" from an episode of "The Odd Couple", and that song is in the public domain. Think of it this way (and yes, I heard it from another poster on here): Even though the original story of "Sleeping Beauty" is in public domain, Disney's version, however, is most certainly under copyright.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#8 of 25 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted July 07 2010 - 05:34 PM

If I remember the finale correctly though, didn't the cast sing the song themselves? If the song itself isn't copyrighted and the performance of it on the show is owned by FOX, there should be no issues. FOX would own the copyright of that performance.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 05:55 PM

There was also Georgette singing and dancing "Steam Heat". I think that is the same episode where Mary sings, "One For My Baby" It will be a very short episode if both are cut. Remember Fox cleared the Ally McBeal music so there is hope. I am guessing that the final curtain call will be a stand alone extra rather than it running as the closing credits of the final episode. It would be nice if Fox set it up to give you a choice to rum the final episode with the final curtain call or not. Kind of like what CBS did with some seasons of "I Love Lucy" where you could run episodes with the original opening credits from the 1950's  or with the credits most people remember from reruns.  I wonder if there will be exclusive extras with the complete series box set whenever that is released. I am surprised it was not announced with the 7th season. 600 divided by 24 equals 25 minutes an episode. Should be complete uncut for a 1970's show. Hope the information is accurate.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 

Well, just because a song is in public domain doesn't mean it's guaranteed that it won't be removed. CBS removed "Give my Regards to Broadway" from an episode of "The Odd Couple", and that song is in the public domain.

Think of it this way (and yes, I heard it from another poster on here): Even though the original story of "Sleeping Beauty" is in public domain, Disney's version, however, is most certainly under copyright.

Of course, all elements unique to the Disney version remain under their copyright.  In the case of the MTM use of a public domain song, if Fox owns the performance (they do) and the song is free, they would not replace it.  I was unfamiliar with the "Odd Couple" instance, but that would seem to have been a mistake, barring some circumstance I'm not privy to.  Regardless, that was a recurring gag in an episode, not the signature climax of a famous finale.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   excuseyou77

excuseyou77

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 07:24 PM

So so so happy about this. And it's just icing on the cake to read that the original curtain call closing credits for the finale will be there.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 11:58 PM

I most definitely will be picking this set up. There are so many episodes that I want to revisit such as "Mary, the Midwife", "Mary's Insomia", "The Ted and Georgette Show", "Sue Ann Gets the Axe", "Hail, the Conquering Gordy", "Mary's Three Husbands", "Mary's Big Party", "Lou Dates Mary", and of course the classic, "The Last Show". I can't wait! :-)
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

• 1,013 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney 

I most definitely will be picking this set up. There are so many episodes that I want to revisit such as "Mary, the Midwife", "Mary's Insomia", "The Ted and Georgette Show", "Sue Ann Gets the Axe", "Hail, the Conquering Gordy", "Mary's Three Husbands", "Mary's Big Party", "Lou Dates Mary", and of course the classic, "The Last Show". I can't wait! :-)

Not to mention "Sue Ann's Sister" with the Symphony in Pink set of Sue Ann's bedroom!  Don't miss the sight gag of Ted looking up and straightening his tie!

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 09:11 AM

Take a deep breath eveyone.  We can start breathing again!   Hard to believe that  a show that has won so many awards took so long to complete.  With All in the Family coming  as well, all I can say is October is my month. Until then I have the summer off.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 08 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thrilled to say the least.  And doubly thrilled to have the curtain call included.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 01:53 PM

Happy that I never had to rebuy the first four seasons to get the last 3.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_Scott 

Happy that I never had to rebuy the first four seasons to get the last 3.

Me, too ... and it's thanks to those of us who were quite vocal in complaining about Fox's original scheme, on this forum and over at Amazon.

And we got all kinds of grief for it, too.

#18 of 25 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted July 08 2010 - 02:16 PM

Except you probably barely saved anything and perhaps ended up spending more, had to wait much longer, and faced uncertainty if it would finished right up until the end. The MSRP of the complete set was going to be $179.98 SRP. That's $20 less then Leave it to Beaver that doesn't seem to be difficult at all for getting for well under $100 on day 1. So I presume it would've been possible to get it for around $80-$90 which is what the three seasons individually probably cost most people. And if you had resold your first 4 seasons, you might've even ended up with a really good deal if they're getting at least $10 or so used online at places like Amazon (Don't feel like checking to see what they go for used). ;) On the positive side, no one is stuck with poor complete series packaging (Companies including FOX never seem to get that right), and perhaps the extra time helped them clear any potential music issues that have been discussed around here in the past and helped them find out about and locate other material to include (Such as the end credits of the final show), which might not of happened had the complete series came out when it was planned.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by LeoAmes 

Except you probably barely saved anything and perhaps ended up spending more, had to wait much longer, and faced uncertainty if it would finished right up until the end.

The MSRP of the complete set was going to be $179.98 SRP. That's $20 less then Leave it to Beaver that doesn't seem to be difficult at all for getting for well under $100 on day 1. So I presume it would've been possible to get it for around $80-$90 which is what the three seasons individually probably cost most people.

And if you had resold your first 4 seasons, you might've even ended up with a really good deal if they're getting at least $10 or so used online at places like Amazon (Don't feel like checking to see what they go for used).

;)

Well it looks like I made the right decision of waiting rather than spending the extra $100 at the spur of the moment just to see it go to waste. You see, the last three seasons only cost me $60 (with each season being $20 each). For the complete series set, I would have to spend $161 (this was Amazon's price) . Purchasing the remaining seasons individually also saved me time AND the hassel of trying resell seasons 1-4 which I wanted to keep anyways. Also, I didn't mind the wait since it gave me more time to watch my newly-purchased DVD sets of other shows that I enjoy watching. As far as the certainty of the remaining seasons of TMTMS being released on DVD, I didn't have to worry as Fox said more or less that they were committed to completing the series on DVD. In regards to reselling seasons 1-4, I don't think customers would want a used DVD set over a brand new, sealed one that has the same price tag. Anyways, I am so happy that everything worked out the way it did. Fox did the right thing.

P.S. - Having patience does pay off! ;-)

Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 08 2010 - 07:37 PM

The fact is Fox NEVER announced a complete series set and hence never published a price for it.  People reacted (and over-reacted, given it was never even confirmed to be true) to a placeholder on Amazon.  I love the assumption that Fox never listened to sales figures but listened to "reviews" of a non-existent, never announced product on Amazon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users