Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Insomnia

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,819 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 06 2010 - 07:10 PM

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the review Cameron. For me, this was one of those films that after watching it, I remember feeling sort of underwhelmed. But it's been so many years since I viewed it and I've come to respect Nolan as such a great filmmaker since The Prestige, and the two Batman films and I'm very much looking forward to Inception. I'm going to have to revisit this one.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,819 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 07 2010 - 02:49 AM

If you felt underwhelmed about it, I'm curious how you'd feel about the original, because that was pretty much how I felt about it. It has been some time since I watched Insomnia, so putting it in light of Nolan's more recent work was interesting.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,074 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 07 2010 - 03:12 AM

Insomnia was a really good movie before Nolan made his Batman movies.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 03:21 AM

Given the high marks in the review, I'd consider this for a purchase for the right price.  I think this movie just got a bad rap because it's not Memento.  While I think he's become overrated, Nolan's movies always have a baseline level of competence for me that only a handful of others can match.  Also, at this point, it looks like this could go down as the last really solid Al Pacino movie.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 05:26 AM

I had seen the original when it was first released on DVD, and liked it very much. When I heard sometime later that an American version was going to be made (no solid details other than Pacino), I suspected that any Americanized remake would get bastardized all to hell, but ended up very pleased with the result. Different, yes, but not in a bad way. Given the high marks for picture and sound, I'll definitely pick it up.  

#7 of 8 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,940 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the review, Cameron. I have long appreciated the atmosphere and performances in this film - my second experience with Nolan (following Memento) and it cemented my love of his skill and style. It also has an eery and superbly atmospheric score by David Julyan (who Nolan worked with before switching, it seems, to Zimmer (and Newton Howard). Its a great, understated score. So, I will now do what I said I would try not to - order this film today!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted July 12 2010 - 08:26 PM

Excellent review and movie, rare for a "remake."  I can't wait to get this.  It would have been nice to get a few new HD extras but I'm not complaining. Is the hidden easter egg from the DVD on the Blu-ray?  Your review says "all" ported over from the DVD but it's tricky with hidden extras.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users