What's new

Mid-high range frequencies problem (1 Viewer)

Real Name
james
Hello,

My problem is this:

I have a subwoofer hooked up to my left and right tweeters (to help pick up mid-high frequencies) and surprisingly it does work well. The problem is when I sit in my "sweet spot" I can barely hear the frequencies. They either absent or very weird sounding (like its rattling my head). But, if I stand in my "sweet spot" I heard them loud and clear. I tried moving the sub to different areas, but I am very limited on space. Here's what I tried. Moved it to the right of the TV, in the corner. Moved it to the left side of the TV, which is a little more than in the middle of my room.

Also, I think the sub design has a lot to do with the sound. The design is like this: The actual speaker is on the right side of the closure, and the hole (whatever you want to call it) is on the front. I can supply pictures of setup if needed.

-Thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
James,

Please list the gear you are using. Specifically, the speakers and sub and exactly how you have them hooked up. Also list which receiver you have.

Typically, you do not want to add something to speakers that isn't already there. The drivers in the cabinet are meant to work together to produce a result. "Helping" them is usually causes problems. Subwoofers should be used for the lower end using a proper crossover.

Real Name
james
Alright, this is what I have:

Receiver: YAMAHA RX-V665

The left and right channel speakers are low-end samsung "speakers" (in quotes because they act more like tweeters than woofers and don't pick up any bass)

The sub woofer that is hooked up to the left and right channel speakers is a non-powered samsung sub.

This is how I have them connected:

The subwoofer has two connection inputs in it. The left channel wires go to one input, and the right channel goes to the other input. Then, the left "tweeter" connects to the left wires in the sub. And the right "tweeter" wires connects to the right channel wires in the sub. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, i'll try to clear it up.

I have another subwoofer, that powers itself. That's connected to the sub-output on the amp, through the LFE input on the subwoofer itself.

For the amp settings, I have the front left and right speakers set to "small". And for the LFE settings, the output is to SUBWOOFER only. The crossover settings for the subwoofer is set to 80Hz.

I think thats all.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
James,

You have a 7.1 receiver , why don't you save you lunch money and pop for some 5.1 speakers, and quit screwing around trying to make a two channel Samsungs do what they cannot do and that is produce the quality of sound you desire. If you have a decent powered sub then you may only need 5 speakers to do the deed.

From what you write it sounds like the passive samsung sub is hooked up the way it was meant to be so what are you doing different than what your manual says. Put lipstick on a pig and you still have a pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks