What's new

Is Paramount still releasing Blu Ray's? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Paramount has nothing scheduled for the rest of the year except for the show "Dexter"

Have they given up on Blu-ray? Are they going through a re-structure?

MGM/UA is facing bankruptcy/re-org problems and yet they are releasing a number of blu-rays in in August

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
They have Stardust coming out in September, and I'm pretty sure they're still the distributor for Dreamworks which has a number of releases scheduled.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
From reports I've read, How to Train Your Dragon will be early September and IM2 will be late September.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i would like to see a little more from the sapphire series myself, first the corrected Gladiator, then The original "War Of The Worlds" "Stalag 17" hell what ever happend to the release of Wings? and while i am at it i want Once Upon A Time In The West on Blu

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Paramount (aside from distributing for DreamWorks) seems content to license out their own catalog. They've done so to Lionsgate (Hard Rain, Drop Zone) for Blu-ray, and Olive for B/C catalog DVD. Rumor is that they've may have made a newer agreement with Criterion for some of their more prestigious catalog (their older agreement that gave us Days of Heaven, the upcoming Von Sternberg silent set, etc. is pretty much finishing up in terms of releasing the titles).

So, aside from some of their super A-list titles (African Queen, Godfather), Paramount may be license happy right now.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
You've got the obvious "event" titles like Indiana Jones still MIA but some of those will eventually be handled by their corresponding production houses (Lucasfilm for Indy, for example) and only distributed by Paramount so they sort of don't count. I'm waiting for some of Paramount's early letterboxed-only DVDs like Breakdown to make their hi-def debuts.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what source lists nothing scheduled from Paramount. Here's the confirmed list so far:

Road to Perdition (8/3)

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (8/31)
Stardust (9/7)
American Beauty (9/21)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (10/5)

There's several other titles that will be released by Christmas as well, including major theatricals like Shrek Forever After, Iron Man 2, How to Train Your Dragon, and presumably The Last Airbender.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
even so, 9 titles from a major studio for the rest of the year is pretty slim

Ten Commandments is an obvious release judging by the ABC telecast. It would be fantastic for this to be a Criterion title!

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I hope Criterion releases some of the titles Paramount will not. At least with Criterion we know the PQ will be top notch. If you believe the rumors, Paramount has no intentions of releasing any classic catalog titles on Blu ray. It looks like they have updated it to any catalog titles.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

I'm not sure what source lists nothing scheduled from Paramount. Here's the confirmed list so far:

Road to Perdition (8/3)

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (8/31)
Stardust (9/7)
American Beauty (9/21)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (10/5)

There's several other titles that will be released by Christmas as well, including major theatricals like Shrek Forever After, Iron Man 2, How to Train Your Dragon, and presumably The Last Airbender.

Where did you hear about 1492: Conquest Of Paradise coming out on Blu-ray disc on 10/5/2010? I heard about a France release from SPHE in France on 10/6/2010 but haven't heard a word about a Paramount Blu-ray being released in the USA. I hope it happens.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Med

I agree. My understanding was that Chinatown was being prepped for blu-ray, when the whole flap over Polanski flared up again. In fact their Centennial Collection 2 disc DVD of Chinatown was pulled after being on store shelves for less than a year.

I wouldn't expect to see this film released on blu-ray until the Polanski flap is over with.

Doug

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, it seems "American Beauty" will be coming out in Sept. this is a good sign

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Not to dash anybody's good omens, but again, DreamWorks titles distributed by Paramount and Paramount owned catalog titles are two different things. We're getting a steady stream of the former, and next to nothing (aside from those licensed to Lionsgate, Criterion and Olive) of the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks