Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Paramount still releasing Blu Ray's?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 02 2010 - 05:33 AM

Paramount has nothing scheduled for the rest of the year except for the show "Dexter"

Have they given up on Blu-ray? Are they going through a re-structure?

MGM/UA is facing bankruptcy/re-org problems and yet they are releasing a number of blu-rays in in August

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 12:52 AM

They have Stardust coming out in September, and I'm pretty sure they're still the distributor for Dreamworks which has a number of releases scheduled.

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted July 05 2010 - 01:06 AM

I can't imagine there won't be an Iron Man 2 release for Christmas.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 01:41 AM

From reports I've read, How to Train Your Dragon will be early September and IM2 will be late September.

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 05 2010 - 06:56 AM

i would like to see a little more from the sapphire series myself, first the corrected Gladiator, then The original "War Of The Worlds" "Stalag 17" hell what ever happend to the release of Wings? and while i am at it i want Once Upon A Time In The West on Blu

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 05 2010 - 07:20 AM

Paramount (aside from distributing for DreamWorks) seems content to license out their own catalog. They've done so to Lionsgate (Hard Rain, Drop Zone) for Blu-ray, and Olive for B/C catalog DVD. Rumor is that they've may have made a newer agreement with Criterion for some of their more prestigious catalog (their older agreement that gave us Days of Heaven, the upcoming Von Sternberg silent set, etc. is pretty much finishing up in terms of releasing the titles).

So, aside from some of their super A-list titles (African Queen, Godfather), Paramount may be license happy right now.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 06 2010 - 05:21 AM

You've got the obvious "event" titles like Indiana Jones still MIA but some of those will eventually be handled by their corresponding production houses (Lucasfilm for Indy, for example) and only distributed by Paramount so they sort of don't count. I'm waiting for some of Paramount's early letterboxed-only DVDs like Breakdown to make their hi-def debuts.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 06:06 AM

I'm not sure what source lists nothing scheduled from Paramount. Here's the confirmed list so far:

Road to Perdition (8/3)

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (8/31)
Stardust (9/7)
American Beauty (9/21)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (10/5)

There's several other titles that will be released by Christmas as well, including major theatricals like Shrek Forever After, Iron Man 2, How to Train Your Dragon, and presumably The Last Airbender.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 06:30 AM

Technically, most of those are from DreamWorks with Paramount as distributor.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 07:04 AM

even so, 9 titles from a major studio for the rest of the year is pretty slim

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Daniel Bakken

Daniel Bakken

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 09:35 AM

Ten Commandments is an obvious release judging by the ABC telecast. It would be fantastic for this to be a Criterion title!

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Med

Med

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm still waiting for 'Chinatown'!

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 11:20 PM

Forget it Med. ;-)

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 10:28 AM

I hope Criterion releases some of the titles Paramount will not.  At least with Criterion we know the PQ will be top notch. If you believe the rumors, Paramount has no intentions of releasing any classic catalog titles on Blu ray.  It looks like they have updated it to any catalog titles.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Med

Med

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Andy_G 

Forget it Med. ;-)

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Unfortunately though, I think you may be right. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   ricktech12

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow 

I'm not sure what source lists nothing scheduled from Paramount. Here's the confirmed list so far:

Road to Perdition (8/3)

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (8/31)
Stardust (9/7)
American Beauty (9/21)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (10/5)

There's several other titles that will be released by Christmas as well, including major theatricals like Shrek Forever After, Iron Man 2, How to Train Your Dragon, and presumably The Last Airbender.

Where did you hear about 1492: Conquest Of Paradise coming out on Blu-ray disc on 10/5/2010? I heard about a France release from SPHE in France on 10/6/2010 but haven't heard a word about a Paramount Blu-ray being released in the USA. I hope it happens.

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Med 

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Unfortunately though, I think you may be right. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

I agree. My understanding was that Chinatown was being prepped for blu-ray, when the whole flap over Polanski flared up again. In fact their Centennial Collection 2 disc DVD of Chinatown was pulled after being on store shelves for less than a year.

I wouldn't expect to see this film released on blu-ray until the Polanski flap is over with.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 04:35 PM

isn't "1492: Conquest Of Paradise" coming from a different studio?

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 07:22 AM

Well, it seems "American Beauty" will be coming out in Sept. this is a good sign

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 07:12 PM

Not to dash anybody's good omens, but again, DreamWorks titles distributed by Paramount and Paramount owned catalog titles are two different things. We're getting a steady stream of the former, and next to nothing (aside from those licensed to Lionsgate, Criterion and Olive) of the other.