Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Simpsons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 06:52 AM

Very strange, I actually have to START a Simpson's thread?

Nevermind.

OK, love the show, blah, blah, blah. I just never watch it anymore.

On a whim taped Sunday nights episode and upon viewing it, I get a voiceover describing the action.

Was that a gag or did I somehow trigger some alternate soundtrack for the vision impaired?

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Henry Gale 

Very strange, I actually have to START a Simpson's thread?

Not really. Using the much-maligned, but actually quite workable, search function, I quickly pulled up the following thread about season 20, which should be what's currently in reruns:

http://www.hometheat...20-new-hd-intro

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 01 2010 - 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Henry Gale 

Was that a gag or did I somehow trigger some alternate soundtrack for the vision impaired?

If it was for the whole episode, it must have been some kind of glitch. I find most of the current episodes of the show to be pretty forgettable but I'd remember a joke that strange.

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

Not really. Using the much-maligned, but actually quite workable, search function,

Thanks Michael,

Can't imagine that it was beyond even my few skills, since it's "quite workable".

My mistake was probably going to the search link and then moving on to "advance search" since I would want to find "Simpsons" in the title of a thread.
When that failed I tried it with and without an apostrophe. Then I used a capital "S".

After that I gave up on TV and just went for the whole Forum.

Still nothing.

Then I gave up on "Titles" and searched for posts, which DID get results so at least I knew that there actually had been a "The Simpsons" at some time.

I then reasoned that a new post had not been made in the last, (oh, what is the cutoff length for archives, 2 months?)

3 months and that I would just face certain humiliation and start a thread.

Henry (too stupid for HTF) Gale

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 10:02 AM

Henry, you used to claim you couldn't find things on the old site too.

Advanced search.

Seach term: simpsons (no capitals, no apostrophe).

Select "Titles only".

Narrow results: leave "Entire site" selected.

Narrow search options: TV and HDTV Programming.

Sort results by: Update/Posting Date in Descending Order.

The thread I gave you is the second result.

(oh, what is the cutoff length for archives, 2 months?)

There's neither a "cutoff length" nor an "archive".

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

Henry, you used to claim you couldn't find things on the old site too.

That claim was registered in Whitehorse but I lost my papers when the whole camp burnt up!

I did limit my search to the last six months, perhaps a mistake now that I've learned the show is in reruns.

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,363 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 12:05 AM

I have order S13 of the Simpsons and it comes out next week. S13 is about when i stopped watching the simpsons, so, i am very happy with this set coming out. I like the trips to Canada and Brazil. It is doubtful that i will buy the simpsons after S13, because in my opinion the show has gone down hill after S13.

#8 of 43 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 02:21 PM

younger,

Admittedly I am historically, recently, and chronically too stupid for HTF, but, you may have better luck at:

TV on DVD and Blu-ray: Shows and TV Movies

This thread should, technically, not even exist.

It only serves to remind us that, well, not everyone with a computer is skilled.

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,363 posts

Posted August 21 2010 - 04:54 AM

I am looking forward to S13 of the Simpsons. I like S13, because the show goes to Canada and Brazil. I think this is the season that i stopped watching the simpsons.

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 12:51 AM

i think season 13 also has angry dad. to me one of the best episodes ever.

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 27 2011 - 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shane D 

i think season 13 also has angry dad. to me one of the best episodes ever.

Now Season 22 has Angry Dad :)

I'm an intermittent viewer, but I enjoy the newer episodes when I've got 30 minutes to spare. But this latest one...the Ricky Gervais gag was so tedious, I fast-forwarded to get to the end of it. Wow. Simpsons has long liked to push the length of a joke, take a beat longer than funny to get to absurdity. But this became (unfunny) self-parody.

Loved the spoof animation shorts. The take on Wallace and Gromit was quite good. And "Condiments" by Mixar was brilliant! (And much better than the oddly dull "Angry Dad" short).

#12 of 43 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 12:27 AM

There was no new episode last night, right?

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 05:25 AM

^ No, there's new episodes on March 6 and 13 though.

#14 of 43 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 05:15 AM

First of all I'm going to say The Simpsons is still funny. Right, that out of the way. I hadn't watched many new episodes of The Simpsons in the past few years, because Sky 1 had been moving it round the schedules. They premiered new episodes in the UK, before BBC2 did. But then Channel 4 bought the terrestrial TV rights to The Simpsons. And so now, Sky 1 premiere new episodes before they get shown on terrestrial on Channel 4. New episodes always used to be shown on Sunday evenings at 6.30 pm, before being moved round the schedules. And so I lost interest in keeping up with when new episodes were being shown.

Fast forward to the last few months. Sky 1 had been showing new episodes in a new stable time-slot of Thursday evenings/nights around 7.30 pm - 8 pm. But then it changed again. Sky 1 started a new Friday night comedy block a few weeks ago, with new Season 22 episodes of The Simpsons premiering at 8 pm.

The majority of the Season 22 episodes I've seen have been some of the best episodes I've seen. In particular, "The Blue and the Grey" was a joy to watch. Very funny. I didn't think "Angry Dad: The Movie" was as good as they hyped it up though.

I'm finding The Simpsons is still funny and is very imaginative at times. The Christmas episode from late last year had a great non-couch gag with the Advent calendar, and I loved the Muppets homage (not including Katy Perry, who I find annoying).

This coming Friday the new episode will be "The Scorpion's Tale".

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 11:04 AM

Is there any info yet for this season's Simpsons Halloween special Treehouse of Horror XXII?

#16 of 43 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted October 23 2011 - 04:37 AM

Checked TVRage.com's page for Treehouse of Horror XXII, and based on the synopsis for each story I'd say Dial D for Diddly (which from the title means it will be a Ned Flanders story) is going to be the best segment. Still waiting to see the last two episodes from last season, "500 Keys" and "The Ned-Liest Catch".

#17 of 43 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 12:30 PM

The penultimate episode of last season, "500 Keys", was easily one of the best episodes (and I don't mean that in the way that the quality been below-par. Rather the opposite. Apart from up to a handful of disappointing episodes, the stories and jokes have been pretty good). Lisa found a secret classroom in Springfield Elementary, with a mystery which imvolved a schoolbus with the number 23 on it (this reminded me of the film Trick or Treat). The explanation was very satisfactory.

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 02:22 PM

Checked TVRage.com's page for Treehouse of Horror XXII, and based on the synopsis for each story I'd say Dial D for Diddly (which from the title means it will be a Ned Flanders story) is going to be the best segment.

Your guess was accurate. Good episode but the Flanders segment was the funniest.

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted October 31 2011 - 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

Your guess was accurate. Good episode but the Flanders segment was the funniest.

This episode should premiere sometime in November, as the 23rd season begins on Sky 1 (in the UK) on Sunday 13th November ("The Ned-Liest Catch" premieres next Sunday).

#20 of 43 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 10:59 AM

I want to chime in and say that the latest Treehouse of Horror was hideous. I have not watch many of the newer Simpsons the past few years, but I always looked forward to the Halloween special. This year was just terrrrible. I feel bad for the voice actors having to read aloud that crap. Not one laugh in the whole show...and this is from a guy that used to just LOVE the show. Sad. :(
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/