Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 30 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hey music fans!  I thought I'd be bold and post a link here.  I've started a listening project, listening to all 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as published in the 2005 edition.  This is a follow up to a project I did a few years ago where I listened to all 500 of Rolling Stone Magazines Top 500 Albums of all time.  I'm blogging my thoughts on the titles as I go through them.  Since the HTF is full of knowledgeable folk, I thought I'd link it here.  Feel free to comment, encourage, discourage, disparage, join in, ignore at your leisure! :D http://ruzzellsrambl...before-you.html

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted June 30 2010 - 11:45 AM

Russell, I scanned the first TEN titles, looks like good selections. The white (and some red) print on a BLACK background is actually painful for me to read, so, as much as I love this topic...I'm done.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 30 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hey Henry, I just bunnged that up using a default template.  I chose a new template, let me know if it's easier to read.  :) Thanks for the feedback :)

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,043 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 03:11 AM

Russell, much easier to read.  Don't know how much I'll participate; as we all have our pursuits - but sounds like a lot of fun. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 12:39 PM

I think this is a worthy endeavor.  I own at least 6 of the top ten you have listed thus far and I may attempt to shadow you on this.  Any Ween on there?
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 01 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hey thanks guys. Sadly ChristopherG, it looks like another best of type list with no Ween.  If it was up to me, "The Pod", "Pure Guava" and "Chocolate and Cheese" would be on it for sure. They're my favourite band.  :)

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,052 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

Hey thanks guys.

Sadly ChristopherG, it looks like another best of type list with no Ween.  If it was up to me, "The Pod", "Pure Guava" and "Chocolate and Cheese" would be on it for sure. They're my favourite band.  :)

WEEN are brilliant.  They can emulate any style of music perfectly.  On any given album, they may sound like The Beatles, Motorhead, Merle Haggard, or even Jimmy Buffet.

The first time I heard Chocolate and Cheese, I was blown away.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 04:00 AM

Russell, Do you have a link to the master list, or are you going through a book?   I would love to peruse the whole list, but I doubt some of my favorites make the list either. My #1 of all-time is still Faith No More's "Angel Dust", but I'm sure some of my favorites will make it, like Talking Heads "Remain in Light",

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Celie

Celie

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 10 2010 - 05:19 AM

Hi guys, the whole list would be interesting but would it be too daunting? Who has enough time? Breakfast, bath, lunch and dinner I suppose.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 04 2011 - 08:52 AM

Thought I'd pat myself on the back and let everyone (no one) know that I've hit 400 Albums this past Monday. Yup, I'm still trucking along, the list in into 1978 now. Still mostly enjoying it, but man, I'm sure finding out what I don't like!   601 to go! ZZZRRROOOOM! http://ruzzellsrambl...bums-heard.html

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   johnandrews101

johnandrews101

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:44 PM

This is awesome! I want to hear too!

cable tv providers

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   jim1987

jim1987

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 10:06 PM

Wow.Its a great information to share buddy.I am now quit sure that I will not die before listening those albums.but its a huge list i hope.So I will die late for sure.lolz.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 19 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thanks ha ha. It's a daunting list, but I can average 2 albums a day usually with my work commute. So it's not too bad. I miss listening to music I like though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users