-

Photo
- - - - -

LG 55 LCD/LED WiFi Connectivity Issue

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   hoosierhog88

hoosierhog88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 30 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hello folks,

The sales guy at Best Buy suggested I come here for a problem I'm having with my new 55 inch LG LCD/LED TV.  The TV came with a wireless WiFi "dongle" that is supposed to be able to connect to my wireless network.

I've tried placing the TV directly in front of the router and it still won't connect.  I successfully connected the TV directly to the router using a Cat5 cable, but I just can't get the wireless to work.

I even took the dongle back to Best Buy and had them exchange it with another one, but still no joy.

I have a Cisco/Linksys E1000 router that is brand new and my laptops connect to it just fine.  The USB ports on the TV are ok, as I have viewed pictures stored on a flash drive.

When I place the dongle in the USB port on the TV, I can "see" the "wifi" tag, but the icon is grayed out and disabled... like it just isn't seeing the network.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  My head is sore from banging it on my desk.

Thanks!

Ray

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 30 2010 - 02:02 PM

I find it quite funny that the so called pro's at Best Buy or as they call themselves "The Geek Squad" can't fix your problem and sends you to the Armatures at Home Theater Forum for help.     I don't have any experience with your problem but don't you have to make sure that you open the right ports on your Router that the TV wireless uses.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   avatar57

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 01:12 AM

Did you try the obvious? Contact LG customer support guys?

Well, I had issues with the Wi-Fi dongle too. Like, the TV would just hang after the dongle got connected to my modem. Initially I thought it was some incompatible settging in my modem. The LG rep helped run some test and at least it helped me to confirm that the dongle was a defective one! 

Good Luck!

#4 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 06 2010 - 09:43 AM

Same exact problem for me but with a D-Link router. All of our other wifi devices located at the same location as the TV connect fine. Have you had any luck figuring this out? We contacted LG and they sent out a tech who gathered all the info of our setup, Model TV, model of the dongle, model of the router so he could contact LG. They are clueless. Thier solution is going to be to replace the "Main Board". Waiting for parts and will know if that solves the problem on a few weeks.

#5 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 06 2010 - 09:44 AM

dupe

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   jmae1925

jmae1925

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 10:15 PM

nice one

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   hoosierhog88

hoosierhog88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:41 AM

No, I never got this figured out.  I finally just gave up.  LG support is stumped as is Best Buy.  I'm hoping someone here comes along with the answer.

I took my dongle out to Best Buy, just to see if they'd plug it in and see if the TV on the display would "see" the dongle and they woudn't even do that.

I'm pissed but not to the point of taking the thing back.  You'd think LG would be more aggressive in fixing this, but they can barely speak english, let alone figure out a complicated technical issue.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   hoosierhog88

hoosierhog88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 15 2010 - 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Anundsen 

Same exact problem for me but with a D-Link router. All of our other wifi devices located at the same location as the TV connect fine. Have you had any luck figuring this out? We contacted LG and they sent out a tech who gathered all the info of our setup, Model TV, model of the dongle, model of the router so he could contact LG. They are clueless. Thier solution is going to be to replace the "Main Board". Waiting for parts and will know if that solves the problem on a few weeks.

I seriously doubt this will fix the problem, but it's worth a shot I guess.  Please keep us posted!

#9 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 19 2010 - 04:23 AM

Ok, Tech came out today and replaced the main board and it works perfect. One thing we did notice after the fix is that the power light on the dongle was much brighter after the fix. It searched for wireless and had a list of availible AP's  including my router. I had problems getting by my WEP on the router so I disabled it to make sure it would connect and worked fine. Later I set my router to WPA-Personal (d-link router) cuase the TV wouldn't connect using the standard WEP setup I had been using.

So, Call LG, if your TV is under warrenty they can send out a tech to take a look at the TV... They will probably try everything else first but once it comes down to no solution other than replacing the main board it should fix the problem.

Total time for resolution... about 1 month

LG customer support was friendly but couldn't solve the problem...suggested replacing the dongle so that was 2 weeks turnaround mailing it off for a new one. When the 2nd dongle didn't work they sent out a tech who gathered info about the problem to talk to LG support. They were at a loss and suggested swapping the main board. Took a little over a week for part to arrive & be replaced.

Good Luck

Matt

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   hoosierhog88

hoosierhog88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 08:27 AM

Matt, thanks for the update.  I'm glad you were able to get this resolved.  I'm going to contact LG today and ask them what they want to do.

Like you, the LED on the dongle isn't very bright, so I suspect I may have the same problem as you.  I should have taken the TV back to Best Buy within the 30 day return policy date and made them eat it, but it's so big to move around, I just hated to mess with it.

Again, thanks!

Ray

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   hoosierhog88

hoosierhog88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 29 2010 - 01:01 AM

UPDATE: I had LG service check out the TV and like Matt mentioned, they replaced the main board.  The network now connects and all is well.  Thanks Matt for the heads up.  I'm glad this thing works now.

Ray

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   lostinspace2011

lostinspace2011

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 11:26 PM

Could you please post the version number including firmware after the upgrade. I just encountered the same issue and was wondering if this is really a hardware problem (physical defect), or if they had to upgrade the software (including those burnt on the chips). I am really upset with LG about shipping such poor quality. Hopefully they will be able to help me.

Also how did you contact LG? Did you go via BestBuy, or via their call centre? Was it really LG who came out themselves. I am treading taking the big thing back to the shops.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 02:36 AM

John,

Welcome to the forum.

The post you're replying to is 10 months old. It could be more successful to either PM Ray or try to send an e-mail.

Anyway, I do hope he will see this and reply to you. Good luck!

Cees

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   tanklage1

tanklage1

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 07:06 AM

well i bought my lg bout a year ago and still do not have wireless! it did not come with a dongle (have never heard of one either :) i was trying to connect it to my mac is this possible? i had finally gave up (know what u went thru n it aint fun) but now that i read this i am willin to give it another shot will the lg work with a mac????? tia