Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony STR DG820 receiver sound problems.. protecter shut down.. low volume on voices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   thefloss316

thefloss316

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 02:26 PM

I am fairly new to having a receiver hooked up to my tv.  it has  HDMI's hooked up to PS3 , Bell Expressvu receiver and to my tv.  Have had no problems with it until lately the protecter keeps shutting it off.  usually before this happens the volume is really low, (turning it up past the normal volume levels we listen to it on just to hear voices on the tv shows, music seems really loud)  it shuts itself down,  I have searched through the book that it came with but it has really been no help to me.  I checked my connections to make sure none of them are loose.  Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this and maybe it is something that i have done.  This problem has happened twice now within the last 3 weeks.  I also checked to make sure that the night mode on the remote was off too.  Please help..

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 29 2010 - 02:55 PM

These types of problems can be frustrating and difficult to diagnose through a forum.

The first thing is are you sure everything is hooked up right? I know you looked for loose connections but are they all in the right place?

What speakers and sub woofer do you have?

Also, did you run the MCACC automatic setup feature? If so, these, including Audyssey, YAPO and EZSetEQ found on other receivers, often set the speakers to Large instead of small. This puts more strain on the receivers amplifier and less on the powered sub woofer.

After running MCACC you can go back into the manual setup menu and change all the speakers to Small and the crossover to 80 or higher depending on your speakers.

Often times people have to manually adjust the center channel and sub woofers individual volumes more to his/her liking.

That's usually the place to start. Proper connections, speaker size and crossover setting.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   vetteman

vetteman

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 04:58 AM

After over 2 months of fighting with this unit and listening to everyone including Sony, I found out it is a common issue with this unit. If you bought less then 30 days ago, take it back and buy another brand. Believe me, it is nothing that you have done wrong. I thought that it was everything else but the unit and I tried every setting, changed speaker wire, you name it. And all I did was go beyond the point of the 30 return policy to take the unit back to buy a REAL receiver of another brand. If it's been more then 30 days, call Sony and ask where the nearest repair shop is. That is a lot faster (I've heard), then sending it in to Texas for repair for 2 months. Not everyone repairs Sony and I had to drive over 50 miles to take it to the nearest location to me( so by the time I pick it up and take it home, it will cost me $30 to $40.00). If you are reading this because you are trying to decide which receiver to buy for your home, try anyone else.