What's new

Twin Towers BUILD LOG (1 Viewer)

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
This is being copy/pasted here... I can't believe I didn't do this log here way back when I started it, it is now complete. It's several pages, so it may take a few days to get it all here.

Finances are here. Time to start ordering. PICS and VIDS to come! What is for sure: 2 Fi Audio IB3 18's, each in their own 128 cubic foot box (before displacement) with a 12" sonotube port 48" long ( to begin with, will cut down raising tuning over time) resulting in a 6.5Hz tune! Dual EP2500's or EP4000's.

I am building from the floor up... scratch. I need a solid 7.1 receiver capable of more than 110 watts per channel. I plan on building MT's or MMT's designed by Kevin with Exodus Anarchy's. IDK about using a HP filter yet.. but I may go as high as 15Hz with the tune...I'll start low and have myself some fun and learn all the way up to 15Hz.

I'd like some input on the receiver... THX Ultra Certified preffered.. but $500-$600ish seems a good price point. I would also like some input from you guys on a new PC with Blu Ray and whatever I'd need to run REW and connect it to a 40" LCD HDTV.

I'll also be building a van walled off with 4 IB3 18's.... ported and tuned to 15Hz most likely. See the Car Audio section for it's build log! Lots of bateries and amps going in there, and some Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's and CSS FR125S's! 10X's the power needed...

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
I go van shopping tomorrow, once I'm drivin it around I'm getting the new dig vid cam... and pics of everything from there... you guys are gonna get annoyed from TOO MANY pics.

anyway,
Got a new hard drive at Best Buy today, grabbed War of the Worlds while I was there... (BTW do I want to play it in DTS or Dolby Digital?) and looked at pro audio amps, PC's, monitors, flat panel TVs... and I saw a sony 7.1 770 watt strdn1000 with 4 hdmi 1080i upscaling 110rms x 7@8ohms r2d2.... any good?

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
Got the VAN. Got the CAM. Got Star Trek, Transformers, and G.I. JOE. Got 2 12" ports. Who has 12" sonotube ports? I do NOT bring the cat into this. EVER! He does it all on his own! I think he's good for scaling anyway.

CIMG0167.jpg

CIMG0168.jpg

CIMG0169.jpg

CIMG0170.jpg

CIMG0171.jpg

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
CIMG0172.jpg

Decided to grab the Samsung, the only one with Netflix live stream capability..man what I had to go thru to get it... it's the floor display, paid full price...but I got the last one!

Bought Transformers and a bunch of other movies the other day...normal DVD... opened them all but Transformers so i can take that one back, and the lady that grabbed 2012 Blu Rey grabbed 2... so I can take that back tomorrow too LOL. I'll give all the others to my friends n fam!

I use hulu.com and I play my music from my PC on my HT. So how do I connect my cheap walmart PC I have to my HDTV and receiver? That was why I wanted to build an HTPC... so I can just run it all off it.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
cpl ?'s.. What cables do I need for receiver to EP4000's? RCA to XLR? Do I need a splitter or is this .2?

Also, I got a cheap Samsung Blu-Rey with the Netflix live stream capability player at walmart... it is LOUD! Sounds like an old printer! Any known issues? I went thru hell and back for it...they were sold out..tried to reorder more for me..couldn't..thought maybe discontinued..so I bought the floor display for full price..wouldn't give me the usual 20% disp discount.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
Before EP4000

You do NOT need to turn it down! NEW CAMERA!

WOTW's:

Semi trucks

Litening

road break/church break

Pod emerges

10Hz

15Hz

several sine waves... 18Hz 20Hz 25Hz 30Hz 35 40 and 45 I think. pretty loud considering!

To me it is all about airspace. I have 100 watts, a super low tuning, and a "weak IB sub".

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
if you have a strong stomach... my house needs a lot of work. i could care less, so all "fix your house then get a stereo" comments will get ignored along with "get better gear from better stores" comments.

1st with low then pushed hard for more output. I sealed up my kitchen window a couple days ago because it used to flop around so bad from the subsonics...but it still has a little rattle to it.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
just purchased 6 Fi Audio IB3 18's custom dual 4 ohm. Why? cuz it's double the coil in the gap. Double the wire to split the current flow.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
The Samsung Blu-Rey player I got let me down.. it's loud, sounds like an old printer. If you take the disc out it forgets where it was at and starts over. It can't read any of my burnt CDs, DVDs, or... other material. Sometimes the words don't match the faces on screen. This is compared to the last 2 DVD players I've owned over the years that each cost 30 bucks. So I bought the $100 Blu-Rey .. Magnavox.. so I could give the Samsung to my mother who won't care about all that and wants Netflix live stream. This one is the same... can't read burnt CDs or..other material. Forgets where it was at.

I had $35 of best buy rewards to use up...I figured about $20-$40 for a pair of RCA to XLR cables... they were 99c a piece! So I bought the last 5 they had! So then I had $35 rewards to still burn up, so I got a 100ft spool of Monster Cable :( I HATE them. Walmart years ago had 50ft spools of yellow 12gauge for 10 bucks. I still have 1 or 2 left cuz I bought like 6 of them 6 or 7 years ago.

Bought rear drums and shoes for the van, as well as plugs, air and oil filter, and oil. The AC clutch is the fan noise problem. I may just pull the entire AC system like I did on my Accent GT and put the HO alt in it's place? Good idea?

I went to Sears today.. $190 for DieHard platinum. $805 for 4 of them. What ya'll think? get those tomorrow morning or order the Shuriken or Delta?

HT receiver and EP4000's shipped yesterday.

CIMG0195.jpg

CIMG0190.jpg

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
but I just bought an optical cable and the packing says HD audio! :-O

in the red bubble says HD audio

CIMG0200.jpg

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
I purchased a blu-rey player about a week and 1/2 ago and another about 1/2 a week ago... I'll worry about HTPC later. I have a buddy that works at the local PC Gold... he's gonna get me set up on a tuner card or something to get my HULU and everything else to the receiver for now. I got another HDMI. I'm going to order 7 Anarchy's and I get my wood monday to start the builds. Is there a particular bookshelf dimension for the Anarchy MT/bookshelves? I'll pay HomeDepot to cut the 7 bookshelves for me... way too much for me to do with a circ saw.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
UM, how am I clipping an EP4000 @ 4ohms with an IB3 18?

ok ya it does when the gain is set to full, Denon at -12, sub level +12 (full) but the sub should bottom/die well before I reach clipping! EP4000 all switches left except 3 6 and 7. BTW, notice the low note doesn't clip and I get awesome excursion..sounds good... impedance helped.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
it does great with lows, just not highs. Popped in Star Trek... that volum.. gain knob went way down. I expected the same for music but I'll get it figured out. I got this dual 2 sub to play with till the dual 4s get here.

I said I had turbulence with 100 watts. But this is ridiculous.

fan noise at the end too

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
here's another clipping vid.. gain starts off at 26.. yet on star trek, the sub bottoms at 14. I guess LFE with DVD/Blu-Rey is much much hotter. I've spent the night watching and adjusting with remotes in hand. During movies the sub can be inactive for so long, so weak most of the time, then.... ya. So for movies the amp is overkill as expected... even with the gain way down it over drives the sub. But then with music it can't really push it.

kryptonitewhite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan powell
CIMG0405.jpg

CIMG0406.jpg

CIMG0408.jpg

CIMG0409.jpg

CIMG0267.jpg

CIMG0266.jpg

CIMG0265.jpg

CIMG0264.jpg

CIMG0263.jpg

CIMG0262.jpg

CIMG0261.jpg

CIMG0260.jpg

CIMG0259.jpg

CIMG0258.jpg

CIMG0254.jpg

CIMG0253.jpg

OK Ricci, I get it now.. increased airspace increases low end output...not high end...on a sloping scale. So building super large requiring less power overall decreses high bass

output. So what if a gentle slope of 1dB/oct HP was used up high say around 30Hz to allow more power applied?

So we all knew it was a matter of time..just didnt expect an hour. The amp clipped bad, probably due to bad house electrical, on music. I had to set the gain to 26 for decent

output for music any more and it clipped. But on movies even way down at 14 it bottomed the sub hard. So ya. I did it. I broke it already. alright? So anyway...tried to kill it

by blasting it at tuning... forgot I retuned to 11Hz so the 1st attempts were at 17Hz then last at 11Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks