Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Maltese Falcon (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 01:21 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

Ranked #1 on the American Film Institute's List of the Greatest Screen Actors

WARNER HOME VIDEO CELEBRATES

HUMPHREY BOGART
THE GREAT AMERICAN SCREEN LEGEND

Academy Award®-Winning (1948) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

and Academy Award® -Nominated (1941) The Maltese Falcon

on Blu-ray Disc™  for the Very First Time

Burbank, Calif., June 28, 2010 – His style was unrivaled. His career was astonishing. His performances are unforgettable. Be a part of Humphrey Bogart’s legend on October 5, 2010, when two of his most beloved performances are presented on stunning Blu-ray Disc™ for the very first time. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Maltese Falcon have been newly restored and remastered for their Blu-ray™ debuts. Each film contains extensive bonus material. Orders are due August 31, 2010 (SRP $24.98 each).

Marketing Support

TCM will mark the release of Humphrey Bogart: The Essential Collection with October presentations of such films asThe Treasure of the Sierra MadreThe Big SleepHigh Sierra and To Have and Have Not.

About the Films

About The Maltese Falcon (1941)

A gallery of high-living lowlifes will stop at nothing to get their sweaty hands on a jewel-encrusted falcon. Detective Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) wants to find out why – and who’ll take the fall for his partner’s murder. An all-star cast (including Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr.) joins Bogart in this crackling mystery masterwork written for the screen (from Dashiell Hammett’s novel) and directed by John Huston. This 1941 Academy Awards® Nominee* catapulted Bogart to stardom and launched Huston’s directorial career - all with a bird and a bang. 

Special Features:

1. Commentary by Bogart Biographer Eric Lax

2. Featurette The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird

3. Breakdowns of 1941: Studio Blooper Reel     

4. Makeup Tests

5. Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart

6. Warner Night at the Movies 1941 Short Subjects Gallery:

·         Newsreel    

·         Musical Short The Gay Parisian    

·         Two Classic Cartoons: Hiawatha’s Rabbit Hunt and Meet John Doughboy

·         Trailers for The Maltese Falcon, 1941’s Sergeant York and 1936’s Previous Falcon Movie AdaptationSatan Met a Lady

7. Audio-Only Bonus: Three Radio Show Adaptations – Two Featuring the Movie’s Original Stars, Plus Another Starring Edward G. Robinson

B&W

100 minutes

Rating: NR

Languages: English, Français, Español

Subtitles: English, Français, Español

Special features may not be in high definition; audio & subtitles may vary

Street date: October 5, 2010

Order due date: August 31, 2010

FERT # / UPC #: 1000124122 / 883929118250

SRP: $24.98 (Blu-ray Disc™)

“Academy Awards®“ is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences 

*The Maltese Falcon was nominated for Outstanding Motion Picture, Actor in a Supporting Role (Greenstreet) and (Huston) Writing (Screenplay)

About The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1947)

Gold in the hills, avarice in the hearts of men. Two hard-luck drifters (Humphrey Bogart and Tim Holt) and a grizzled prospector (Walter Huston) discover gold. Then greed and paranoia set in. Shot in Mexico, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was at that time considered a rather expensive production. John Huston won the 1948 Academy Award® for his Directing and Writing and his father (Walter Houston) took the Best Actor in a Supporting Role Academy Award®. Without awards, but with enduring acclaim, is Bogart’s performance, transforming from a likable hobo to a heartless thug simmering in greed. Treasure of the Sierra Madre’s place on the American Film Institute’s “Top 100 American Films” list reaffirms it’s still a powerful movie.

Special Features:

1.       Commentary by Bogart Biographer Eric Lax

2.       Featurette Discovering Treasure: The Story of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

3.       Feature-Length Documentary Profile John Huston

4.       Outtakes

5.       Classic Cartoon: 8 Ball Bunny

6.       Warner Night at the Movies 1948 Short Subjects Gallery:

·         Newsreel    

·         Joe McDoakes Comedy Short So You Want to Be a Detective    

·         Classic Cartoon Hot Cross Bunny

·         Trailers for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and 1948’s Key Largo

7.       Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Show Adaptation Featuring the Movie’s Original Stars

B&W

126 minutes

Rating: NR

Languages: English, Français, Español

Subtitles: English, Français, Español

Special features may not be in high definition; audio & subtitles may vary

Street date: October 5, 2010

Order due date: August 31, 2010

FERT # / UPC #: 1000124268 / 883929118472

SRP: $24.98 (Blu-ray Disc™)

“Academy Awards®“ is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 08:35 AM

Very nice!  My #1 and #2 favorite Bogart films. [/url]
Death before Streaming!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 08:51 AM

SWEET!!!!
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,527 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 28 2010 - 10:07 AM

I'm with you and prefer the original posters but I guess the studio thinks they have to update the cover art to appeal to today's audience.  The new ones do have a more modern look to them.  It's marketing.

Originally Posted by Jim_K [url=/forum/thread/301818/whv-press-release-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-and-the-maltese-falcon-blu-ray#post_3705347]

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 10:38 AM

I am also of the opinion that the contemporary artwork is Photoshop at its most reprehensibly bland.  I don't understand why WHV cannot give these titles a sense of grandeur like they did for 'The Wizard Of Oz' or 'Gone With The Wind' (it shouldn't matter that those were MGM titles), or possibly even a Digibook release, which I would welcome. George Feltenstein is slipping in his dedication to their prestige classics (if he's still involved...) I guess I'll also have to keep my deluxe 'Falcon' DVD set, since we only get the trailers, and not the features, of the first two adaptations.
I don't like SPAM!

#6 of 11 ONLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 10:49 AM

I also prefer the grand style of the movie poster covers.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,393 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 01:18 PM

I also find the new artwork far inferior to the original poster art. However, as long as Warner Bros. handles the transfer of these two films properly (and I'm confident they will), they've just sold two new Blu-rays to this guy.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,834 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 28 2010 - 02:20 PM

Eh, I'd rather that they use the poster art but the new covers don't look too bad to me (and The Maltese Falcon one is kinda cool).

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,527 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 28 2010 - 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

Eh, I'd rather that they use the poster art but the new covers don't look too bad to me (and The Maltese Falcon one is kinda cool).

Yeah, the Falcon is the better of the two contemporary posters.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,674 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:57 PM

Glad to have the official announcement of these discs and I look forward to adding them to my collection. The Maltese Falcon is one of the most watched films in my collection. The cover art is not atrocious, but I'd prefer that they incorporate some of the original marketing materials.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 05:07 PM

I posted this in another thread, but I think it applies here too.
The copyrights on virtually all paper promotional materials for Hollywood movies were owned by National Screen Service, NOT the studios. NSS was contracted handled the creation and distribution of posters and lobby cards for all the major studios from about 1940 through the 1980s. So while the studios may own a mountain of production photographs taken during the filming of a particular movie, With rare exceptions they don't actually own the poster art created to promote that particular movie. All of that material fell in to the public domain when NSS folded in the late 80s. That is one practical reason why original poster art may not be used. Finding a quality copy of the original art maybe hard, and it maybe expensive. Why go out and haggle with a collector for the use of a poster that he owns, when you can just use production photographs. Also the original art was intended to be seen on a poster 27" x 40". Much of the details are lost on small DVD cover. A large photograph of Bogart with vivid colors tends to show up better on a store shelf than the original poster art. This is not to say that I wouldn't prefer the original art, but I understand why it often isn't used. Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users