Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Predator (2010 re-issue) -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 of 231 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 04:41 PM

I wanted to spend a bit more time examining the new Blu-ray of Predator.  This is a film that appears to have been shot thin, with all the requisite problems that come along with fast stock, etc.

I believe I may have figured out what we're now looking at.

And from a technological perspective, I've not come away displeased.

Everyone who cares is aware that Disney has gone back to original elements for the scanning of their classics, has de-grained, cleaned and made every effort to create something that is not restored, but rather a new edition created by using the same elements in a slightly different way, as aided by digital technology.  The film elements are fully preserved, and I've never thought this a bad thing.

I believe that a similar situation may have occurred here.

I've put out requests through normal channels for information, and have received back very little.  Except for a strange comment from someone who may be in the know.  And it's led me in an interesting direction.

What I'm thinking is that the new Blu-ray of Predator is not some heavy-handed hack job, where a tech took a pile driver to the grain and then fully cleansed what remained to the point of oblivion.

Rather, I'm beginning to believe that this may be an entirely new film.

Using only the original audio mix as a basis, it appears that either Pixar or Dreamworks Animation, may have been brought in to digitally create an entirely new image for the film, based upon the original photographic information.

I'm thinking this because Predator looks decidedly like Monsters vs. Aliens 3D, but of course not yet in 3D.  That may be coming.

If this is what's occurred then the new product is rather beautifully rendered, lifelike, and potentially yet another new process.

The overall concept is brilliant. The more that I think about this, the more I need to return to Patton and Longest Day, as I may have erred in my appreciation of those Blu-rays.

If those were earlier incarnations of this same technology...

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 231 Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 04:47 PM

heh. Nicely understated.

#3 of 231 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,004 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 28 2010 - 03:09 AM

You had me going there for a few moments./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 231 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:06 AM

A little late for an April Fool's joke, don't you think?

#5 of 231 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:27 AM

Thank you mister RicharD Harbits for teh nice post i love the 3d movies on blueray i hope they can due that with old movies like king kong maybe they can put a real monky in their and make it color and i cant weight to see the president of CaliFornia on blueray in Preddator without all the speckles

/img/vbsmilies/htf/drool.gif

#6 of 231 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,419 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:55 AM

You have a nicely honed satiric barb, Mr. Harris. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#7 of 231 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 28 2010 - 05:36 AM

You've put a smile on my face and brought a hearty chuckle out of me, RAH. That is all that needs to be said.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 231 Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 250 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted June 28 2010 - 05:48 AM

I sure am sorry to hear this.  I had traded my half-decent DVD edition in anticipation that this would be a good presentation.  So, we get the wax museum version, eh?!

#9 of 231 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted June 28 2010 - 07:06 AM

Now that Mr. Harris has clarified the process, I kind of like the new look:

Posted Image

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#10 of 231 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 08:19 AM

Funny indeed.  I'll admit - I wasn't entirely sure at first as I was reading it, but it wouldn't be the first time I was semi-taken in by one of Mr. Harris's humorus posts.  Years back he was discussing something on the aspect ratio issue and how a new Tv was coming out that would physically adjust the screen according to the aspect ratio. lol

#11 of 231 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 08:49 AM

Years back he was discussing something on the aspect ratio issue and how a new Tv was coming out that would physically adjust the screen according to the aspect ratio. lol

Somewhat recently he did one on the first BD release of a South Park season and raved about how the image quality and detail was night and day when compared with the SD-DVD release

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 231 Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 09:31 AM

As a Britisher I pride myself on my, ah, dry sense of humour but RAH's post above is something else. BlackAdder would be proud, sir.

#13 of 231 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hahahaha, man, I have to admit ... I didn't pick up on the joke until reading the comments.

I guess I can't be thick-headed sometimes.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#14 of 231 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 28 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Mr. Harris for the recommendation! And thank you, all you grain haters, for making this happen!

/img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

How did i do? Was that fake deadpan enough? Did you buy into it?

Actually, FOX just might buy it?

Yea, i am keeping the old Blu-ray, and i also have the extras disc from the old 2 DVD set. So, thanks FOX, thanks for nothing. I will add to that 20% drop in catalog sales!

#15 of 231 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_D 

As a Britisher I pride myself on my, ah, dry sense of humour but RAH's post above is something else. BlackAdder would be proud, sir.

I readily admit to being a anglophiliac.  My days with Sir David, with his incredibly dry wit, probably put certain aspects, previously unknown to me, firmly into place.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#16 of 231 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 03:34 PM

Honestly, there is no good option for fans wanting to buy this film on Blu-Ray.  The initial release was a multiple generations old transfer encoded poorly with MPEG2, and those familiar with the history of the production of the film will tell you the source elements are not good looking to begin with.  Not to mention the initial release included no features despite being released AFTER a feature-packed two disc DVD set  For the new version we get a new transfer, though one where the DNR has been applied to liberally (though thankfully not a lot of EE apparently).  Color and contrast look to be much better on the new release, not to mention it has all the features from the aforementioned DVD set as well as Movie Money toward a movie I was planning to see, all for $15 plus tax at Wal-Mart.  Of the two crappy options to choose from, choosing the new release seems a no-brainer to me.

#17 of 231 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 28 2010 - 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Graham 

Honestly, there is no good option for fans wanting to buy this film on Blu-Ray. .....  Of the two crappy options to choose from, choosing the new release seems a no-brainer to me.

As in brainless? If you like the film more than you like bonus material, then get the first blu ray, but get it cheap. Its inconsistent but halfway decent compared to the version described by RAH above. Sounds like an abomination.

#18 of 231 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:44 PM

Not everyone online who has actually seen the disc in motion (such as Robert George) shares your opinion.  As I said, both versions video-wise are poor, though each for different reasons.  After considering the money saved by the included Movie Cash, I'll be essentially paying around $5-6 for this disc.  Considering the original release looked like crap even back when my primary display was a 32" HD tube, I'm not seeing any gain by going one way or another.  This whole situation strikes me as very similar to when the original crew Trek movies were released.  Based on the screenshots, they looked like unwatchable travesties.  In motion, though deeply, deeply flawed, they were still the best means available to watch the movies at home by a long shot.

If this was more pricey, say like Universals current DNRed catalog titles, I'd have a different opinion. Unlike Universal, Fox did at least spring for a new transfer, something I whined for to a great extent when the first version came out.  True DNR has hindered it from being the best it could be, but for essentially $5-6, I'm in.  I will likely snail mail a polite letter describing my distaste for the amount of DNR used, but the odds of this getting some kind of rerelease/recall seem pretty darn slim.

#19 of 231 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Graham 

Not everyone online who has actually seen the disc in motion (such as Robert George) shares your opinion.  As I said, both versions video-wise are poor, though each for different reasons.  After considering the money saved by the included Movie Cash, I'll be essentially paying around $5-6 for this disc.  Considering the original release looked like crap even back when my primary display was a 32" HD tube, I'm not seeing any gain by going one way or another.  This whole situation strikes me as very similar to when the original crew Trek movies were released.  Based on the screenshots, they looked like unwatchable travesties.  In motion, though deeply, deeply flawed, they were still the best means available to watch the movies at home by a long shot.

If this was more pricey, say like Universals current DNRed catalog titles, I'd have a different opinion. Unlike Universal, Fox did at least spring for a new transfer, something I whined for to a great extent when the first version came out.  True DNR has hindered it from being the best it could be, but for essentially $5-6, I'm in.  I will likely snail mail a polite letter describing my distaste for the amount of DNR used, but the odds of this getting some kind of rerelease/recall seem pretty darn slim.

Thank you, sir, may I have another!?

Vincent

#20 of 231 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 01:18 AM

Touche, my good man, touche.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users