Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Denon or Pioneer Elite?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Blair387

Blair387

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been doing tons and tons of research of speakers and receivers and such for the past year. It's a slow process but I'm slowly piecing everything together. I currently have paradigm monitor 9 for my fronts, and plan on getting the cc-390 center and adp-390 surrounds. Anyways I currently don't have a receiver yet, but have been doing tons of research, I just need some opinions.

For the most part I have been doing tons of research and reading reviews for the pioneer elite sc-25/sc-27 and have been hearing great things about them. I hear pioneer is really accurate according to their claimed power ratings, and being one of the only few receivers to feature a class D amp, they are supposed to be much more efficient and run a lot cooler. But they only thing I'm torn on is that I have read that they don't have any kind of video processing, except for analog signals?

So recently I started reading about the denon 4310ci. Reviews have been really good as well and it's supposed to have a really good video processor/ upconverter. I've tried reading forums trying to compare the two, but it seems to be about 50/50 between the two brands. A lot of people prefer denon's audyssey vs pioneer's mcacc setup.

So my question for everyone is, if anyone has had any experience with either of these, any advice would be great. And what do you think would have a better sound with my paradigm monitor speakers? Also, the price between these is pretty close to the same, so that's no issue there.

Thanks for your help.

#2 of 5 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,672 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 26 2010 - 12:26 PM

Another advantage for the Denon is it allows different crossover settings for each speaker group. The Pioneers only allow one setting for all speakers. This may or may not be usefull for you but it's worth mentioning.

Even though I love my Pioneer 59txi and I also have a 94thx on hand and it's a fine receiver (but will be sold eventually) I think the 4310 would be a little bit better than the 25/27. I helped my brother setup a Denon 1610 and the performance is great for being an entry level model but the setup and day-to-day use was confusing for me (granted, I have little experience with Denon) and the manual and remote are sub-par.

As I always say, down-load both manuals and give them a good going over, especially the fine print. Might be something in one of them that catches your eye.

Are you sure you need the 4310? The 3310 might be all you need and the savings could be used towards an even better sub woofer, if you haven't bought that yet.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 5 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,452 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 04:37 PM

My main question is always "what do you need video processing in the receiver for"?  If it is just for upscaling, your TV (if it's HD) does that automatically as needed and probably does as good or better a job, and any Blu-Ray player will also do it.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 5 KurtJ

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 03:50 AM

The new Elite recievers offer the Marvell Qdeo video processing, which I believe, the SC-25/27 do not.

If you watch netflix or other internet video, this processing could be an important factor.

#5 of 5 payam jafari

payam jafari

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 07:29 PM

Denon for sound Quality and HiFi precision. Pioneer for always work and heavy dutty and also good sound

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users