-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10 - Any news yet?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:21 AM

Has anybody heard anything about Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10. If they do another November release, shouldn't we have heard something by now? Or did I miss something?



#2 of 56 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 22,047 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:23 AM

I could be wrong but I thought that the word was that there wasn't going to be a Treasures wave this year. Once again, I could be totally wrong about that.



#3 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:34 AM



Originally Posted by TravisR 

I could be wrong but I thought that the word was that there wasn't going to be a Treasures wave this year. Once again, I could be totally wrong about that.


I haven't heard anything about a Wave 10. I noticed over at the Ultimate Disney website that there will be three documentaries released in November. After reading about their content, it caused me to get concerned about the Treasures series.



#4 of 56 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:42 AM

My understanding was that the last release would be the final Disney Treasures set. Of course if sales of Zorro exceeded Disney's expectations, its possible you will see future sets.


Doug


"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

    Second Unit

  • 398 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 01 2006

Posted June 26 2010 - 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisALM 
I noticed over at the Ultimate Disney website that there will be three documentaries released in November.

These three documentaries (one on the Sherman Brothers, one on Walt's South American trips and one on the Disney renaissance period) are reportedly supposed to act as this year's wave of Treasures. It seems they'll be coming on November 30.


Hopefully Disney will find a way to return to unreleased classic animation and Walt-era live action catalog material with future waves. There's plenty more to go.



#6 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 26 2010 - 12:28 PM

The last thing I heard from UltimateDisney.com message boards was that the Treasures were history, which is a shame because Disney has a TON of material still in the vaults, but seem to have real issues getting it out. Beats me as to why.


And it's really too bad because I bought the Treasures every set every year like clockwork.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 26 2010 - 01:54 PM



Originally Posted by Traveling Matt 

Quote:


Hopefully Disney will find a way to return to unreleased classic animation and Walt-era live action catalog material with future waves. There's plenty more to go.



Yes, there is plenty left to go. For starters, the anthology series. I would purchase every season set up through at least the mid 70's.



Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

And it's really too bad because I bought the Treasures every set every year like clockwork.


Same here, I have every Treasures set they released.



#8 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 27 2010 - 01:03 AM



Originally Posted by ChrisALM 





Yes, there is plenty left to go. For starters, the anthology series. I would purchase every season set up through at least the mid 70's.




Same here, I have every Treasures set they released.


Well, the Treasures were releasing some episodes of the anthology series and technically the True-Life Adventures were also aired as part of the anthology. You really want to split hairs, some of the original cartoons also saw airtime during the Mickey Mouse Club.


Truth is, Disney has so much material that maybe it's a good thing they at on some until Blu-Ray came along. Now they can get more material onto fewer discs... IF they actually want to release it.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 27 2010 - 02:12 AM



Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 




Well, the Treasures were releasing some episodes of the anthology series and technically the True-Life Adventures were also aired as part of the anthology. You really want to split hairs, some of the original cartoons also saw airtime during the Mickey Mouse Club.


Truth is, Disney has so much material that maybe it's a good thing they at on some until Blu-Ray came along. Now they can get more material onto fewer discs... IF they actually want to release it.


The Treasures did have some anthology series releases, like Davy Crockett, which I believe was complete, and Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca, which were not complete, as well as some others. And the Legacy Collection took care of the True Life Adventures which also ran on the anthology series.


There were also Theatrical movies that ran on the anthology series, broken into two or three parters. Cartoon shorts were also shown, sometimes with quite a bit of new bridging material.


Yes, there is some amount of overlap in the anthology series, but there is still more than enough unreleased material remaining for me to purchase season sets. Plus, there was that special touch that Walt Disney added to each show that was immeasurable.


I think you raise the most important question, does Disney even care about releasing it.


To me the Treasures series is/was a great avenue for releasing the anthology series, like they did last year with Zorro. If the Treasures series is truly over, I am very disappointed.



#10 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 27 2010 - 06:40 AM



Originally Posted by ChrisALM 




The Treasures did have some anthology series releases, like Davy Crockett, which I believe was complete, and Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca, which were not complete, as well as some others. And the Legacy Collection took care of the True Life Adventures which also ran on the anthology series.


There were also Theatrical movies that ran on the anthology series, broken into two or three parters. Cartoon shorts were also shown, sometimes with quite a bit of new bridging material.


Yes, there is some amount of overlap in the anthology series, but there is still more than enough unreleased material remaining for me to purchase season sets. Plus, there was that special touch that Walt Disney added to each show that was immeasurable.


I think you raise the most important question, does Disney even care about releasing it.


To me the Treasures series is/was a great avenue for releasing the anthology series, like they did last year with Zorro. If the Treasures series is truly over, I am very disappointed.


Somewhere on my hard drive, I have a list of all the shows that Disney released, either as part of the anthology series or in their original format. Truth is, even with the movies that were on the anthology show, would it hurt to include Walt's bumpers introing the show or advertising next week's show?


I'll go digging in my files and see what I can come up with. There will be a brief intermission.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have an incomplete hard copy list of the anthology series shows. Last winter I transferred my existing VHS tapes of the series to DVD. I was surprised to see how many shows I had when I cross checked the list with material from the Treasures sets, the Legacy Collection, Disney Movies and my VHS tapes. Of course, the majority of this total is from my VHS tapes, so an official Disney DVD release would be most welcome. And the total of what I have is a small portion of the entire anthology series run.


I sure wish I would have taped everything back when the Disney Channel was running the Vault Disney stuff.



#12 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:18 AM



Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I have an incomplete hard copy list of the anthology series shows. Last winter I transferred my existing VHS tapes of the series to DVD. I was surprised to see how many shows I had when I cross checked the list with material from the Treasures sets, the Legacy Collection, Disney Movies and my VHS tapes. Of course, the majority of this total is from my VHS tapes, so an official Disney DVD release would be most welcome. And the total of what I have is a small portion of the entire anthology series run.


I sure wish I would have taped everything back when the Disney Channel was running the Vault Disney stuff.


Ditto. I got a pretty fair chunk of material, but I know I didn't get everything off Vault Disney. Shame, Disney is more interested in Lizzie Maguire and Hannah Montana now than their roots.


If you want a record of what Disney did on television, you'd need to hunt down an out of print book by Bill Cotter on Disney television. It is truly an impressive tome and one wishes more television shows had such record keeping. I use it as my bible when doing anything concerning Disney television. You might want to check his website to see if a copy can be found, plus he used to do a CD disk with pdfs of material that got cut from the book. I'm actually going through the book and the CD and my own lists for a later post, but recommend you check it out in case you want to do research on your own.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:40 AM



Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 




Shame, Disney is more interested in Lizzie Maguire and Hannah Montana now than their roots.



If you want a record of what Disney did on television, you'd need to hunt down an out of print book by Bill Cotter on Disney television. It is truly an impressive tome and one wishes more television shows had such record keeping. I use it as my bible when doing anything concerning Disney television. You might want to check his website to see if a copy can be found, plus he used to do a CD disk with pdfs of material that got cut from the book. I'm actually going through the book and the CD and my own lists for a later post, but recommend you check it out in case you want to do research on your own.


Totally agree about HM. I don't recall ever seeing/hearing about LM, which probably means I totally agree. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif


I have never heard of the Bill Cotter book. I will be checking it out first chance I get. Thanks, Matt, for the info.



#14 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:54 AM

Oh, no trouble. Called The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter, last published in 1997 by Hyperion. It covers everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, Disney did for TV from their first specials all the way out to the stuff run on the Disney Channel. Cotter even listed the repeat dates of individual episodes and specials. Like I said, all TV tomes should be this comprehensive.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   Scamp

Scamp

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 155 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 08 2006

Posted June 29 2010 - 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

Oh, no trouble. Called The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter, last published in 1997 by Hyperion. It covers everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, Disney did for TV from their first specials all the way out to the stuff run on the Disney Channel. Cotter even listed the repeat dates of individual episodes and specials. Like I said, all TV tomes should be this comprehensive.


Totally agree: great reference book!  Ran across a copy at Half-Price Books around a year ago for $7 and had to have it.



#16 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 29 2010 - 07:48 AM

I just purchased a used copy from Amazon. I am looking forward to getting this book.



#17 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 29 2010 - 02:33 PM



Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I just purchased a used copy from Amazon. I am looking forward to getting this book.


:) Excellent. Also, check out Cotter's site to see if you can still get the PDF. If not... well... PM me.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 30 2010 - 02:40 PM

I checked out the Cotter site and I do not see any reference to a pdf. They do have a CD available for sale containing extra appendices to the original book. I'll have to wait to receive the book to determine exactly how important the CD is.



#19 of 56 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 20 2004

Posted June 30 2010 - 02:46 PM



Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I checked out the Cotter site and I do not see any reference to a pdf. They do have a CD available for sale containing extra appendices to the original book. I'll have to wait to receive the book to determine exactly how important the CD is.


CD is what I was talking about and it's fairly significant, but I'll leave it to you to make the call for yourself since it is still being offered.


Oh, and before I forget, some, not all but some, of what was offered on Disney's anthology series is being sold through the Disney Movie Club, their in-house version of Columbia House. More and more is gradually being released to the direct market, but just so you have all your bases covered, there you go.


So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 553 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted July 01 2010 - 02:01 AM



Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

Oh, and before I forget, some, not all but some, of what was offered on Disney's anthology series is being sold through the Disney Movie Club, their in-house version of Columbia House. More and more is gradually being released to the direct market, but just so you have all your bases covered, there you go.


I have seen that. But are these restored and are they the movie versions or the Disney anthology TV show versions. The website provides very little info on what you actually are getting.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users