Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official KNIGHT AND DAY Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,945 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 25 2010 - 01:36 PM

I saw Knight and Day earlier today.  I really enjoyed it.  It was the perfect Friday afternoon popcorn flick .  I thought Tom Cruise was perfect as Roy Miller.  He had pretty good chemistry with Cameron Diaz.  There were some great action scenes, and some good laughs.  Was some of it a bit over the top?  Yes, but its what I expect for a summer action movie.  Unfortunately my wife wasn't able to attend, but I think she would have enjoyed the show as well.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 01:23 AM

Adam, I couldn't agree with you more.  It was a fun movie with lots of good action and screen chemistry between Cruise and Diaz.  Yes, some things were a little over the top but I didn't have an issue with that at all.  And I must admit that I thought Tom Cruise was perfect in this role.  I really didn't like his performance in War Of The Worlds but thought that in Knight and Day we were kind of seeing the "old" Tom back in action.

My wife went with me and she enjoyed it as well.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 02:20 AM

I really enjoyed this, too.

Plenty of fun action scenes throughout (much more than Iron Man 2) and some great chemistry between the stars makes this a fun time at the movies.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,962 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 02:42 AM

Ever watch a movie where the characters are watching a movie inside that movie?  That's what it was like watching "Knight and Day", where Tom Cruise is playing a spy, Roy Miller, who appears to have gone rogue, leaving a high body count in his wake from his pursuers, and Cameron Diaz plays June Havens, someone inadvertently caught up in Roy's spy drama.  The total lack of tension in most of the action scenes, coupled with clumsily written character scenes, the connective tissue of a movie just rendered this an inert exercise in the spy-chase genre of filmmaking without much for the audience to invest into the characters.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,306 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 03:26 AM

I have to disagree with the positive appraisals.  I thought the film was a dull lump of nothing - it never generated any excitement or spark.  I also thought there was ZERO chemistry between Cruise and Diaz - both acted like they were playing against puppets and showed no life together at all!

I thought this could've been a fun flick, but it just lacked even rudimentary drama or excitement...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,384 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2010 - 08:48 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Knight and Day". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
 Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,384 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2010 - 08:57 AM

I have to side with the positive reviews in this thread.  I had a good time viewing this film and yes, it is way over the top, but it was highly entertaining to me.  Also, I thought Cruise and Diaz had good chemistry together which was crucial in me enjoying this action flick.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,634 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 04:05 PM

We saw Knight and Day tonight and I was entertained-- sometimes that's all you can ask.  I enjoyed the practical effects and stunts.  To be sure there were plenty of VFX, but it's at the other end of the spectrum from something like A-team that is almost all CGI.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted June 30 2010 - 09:22 PM

I actually liked this film as well and am a little surprised by the negative reviews it has gotten.  The film was funny and full of action....the scene on the plane was just fantastic.  I also liked the chemistry between Cruise and Diaz as well.  It's just a fun time at the movies as was already said.

/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/half.gif out of /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif

Recently watched- The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D, Phantasm II, Star Trek: Season 1, The Expendables 3, The Monuments Men, Oculus, The Sessions, A Walk Among The Tombstones, Commando, Goon, Michael Jackson's This Is It, American Reunion, Platoon, American Wedding, American Pie 2

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain."

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,703 posts

Posted July 17 2010 - 04:07 PM

I've seen Knight & Day now 3 times. /img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif I loved it & will be one of the first in line on home release day getting the Blu-ray. There's tons of charm, fun, chemistry, and an effective story. Some movies serve different purposes and those are going to be different for all of us. Movies are so very subjective. But for me, I needed some escapism...needed a fun filled romantic comedy action film. Knight & Day came through in all those areas.

Sometimes we tend to give a pass to films if we like the characters or actors or whatever personal reasons we bring to the table. I don't think K&D needs a pass or a disclaimer but yeah, I love Tom Cruise & Cameron Diaz. They really did just light up the screen just about every time they're on there and it's alot. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

A very strong 9/10 from me.