Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody buy TV DVD's???

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,382 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 03:43 AM

I've been collecting since I graduated college in Jan. 1980. I love the hobby and thru trading and collecting, I've made friends from all over the world, accumulated a great collection and been able to discover many great shows which I was too young to see when they aired and which never had any syndication in my market or at all. I don't have any friends that live locally who share my enthusiasm but I'm able to communicate on the phone with fellow fanatics. And after all of these years, there's only a scant couple of shows that I haven't been able to get at least one episode of. Unlike most here, the last 7-8 years and the flood of DVDs on the market, I have mixed feelings about. Yes, its been nice and convenient but to me it has taken most of the fun out. A lot of the fun of collecting is the challenge of it. Somehow going to amazon.com and clicking purchase doesn't give the same enjoyment as finding a show playing on a single UHF station in a small market and then actually finding someone to record it for you. Kind of like the difference between the accomplishment of climbing a mountain vs having a helicopter take you to the top and dropping you off. You got to the top both ways but the second way doesn't have the same meaning.

#22 of 51 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,635 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 04:13 AM

I can understand Neil's point about collecting.  There's no doubt that a part of the fun of collecting is "the search", but nevertheless I'd never want to go back to pre-dvd days.  The wonderful video and audio quality I get with many studio releases just can't compare to older vhs copies I had taped off television 15 to 20 years ago.  I've met some really nice people over the years that would allow me to just pay shipping/cost to them if I didn't have something to trade, but I've also met people who were just out and out jerks.  Some collectors refuse to trade unless you have something they want.  They won't work with you at all unless you have some "holy grail" they've yet to add to their precious collection.  I have no time for callous people of that ilk, and I believe some of them actually dislike the TV on DVD phenomenon because it's taken the power and exclusivity away from them.  Nope, I'm all for getting as much material officially released and off the "grey market" as possible. Gary "this is a great hobby and I'm thankful I'm not at the mercy of greedy, arrogant collectors" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#23 of 51 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 04:23 AM

James, I too collect television shows, but unlike most here (at least from what I've read), I collect shows on DVD and continue to collect them on VHS tape.  I haven't yet engaged in 'the search' as some have written as far as television shows are concerned.  However, I do collect LPs (especially Beatles) that way.  What I mean to say is that I write to collectors, visit record shops, scour antiquarian bookstores (many include LPs as well as books in their collections), etc.  Happy hunting! :)

#24 of 51 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted June 26 2010 - 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gary OS 

I can understand Neil's point about collecting.  There's no doubt that a part of the fun of collecting is "the search", but nevertheless I'd never want to go back to pre-dvd days.  The wonderful video and audio quality I get with many studio releases just can't compare to older vhs copies I had taped off television 15 to 20 years ago.  I've met some really nice people over the years that would allow me to just pay shipping/cost to them if I didn't have something to trade, but I've also met people who were just out and out jerks.  Some collectors refuse to trade unless you have something they want.  They won't work with you at all unless you have some "holy grail" they've yet to add to their precious collection.  I have no time for callous people of that ilk, and I believe some of them actually dislike the TV on DVD phenomenon because it's taken the power and exclusivity away from them.  Nope, I'm all for getting as much material officially released and off the "grey market" as possible.

Gary "this is a great hobby and I'm thankful I'm not at the mercy of greedy, arrogant collectors" O.

Indeed.

This reminds me of comic books and the "collector" mentality vs. just being someone who wants to read 'em.

Much like classic TV, Comics are now easily available in reprint collections for anyone who wants to just read the material, but the collectors still get a thrill out of the hunt and finding the original issues in the best condition possible.

And, on both the DVD and the comic book side, I'd rather have the most material available, looking the best it possibly could. It's much easier to get this stuff out to the widest possible audience if it's easily available.

However, there's still a few fandom circles that are engaged in either trading or making unreleased episodes available to the general public. Mystery Science Theater 3000, for example... there's very little chance that Shout could get every old movie used on the show cleared for DVD Licensing. So, there's always the traders and people who offer the unreleased episodes.

With the internet, though, it isn't too hard to track 'em down... not like it would have been 15 years ago.

#25 of 51 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,878 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 26 2010 - 07:31 AM

I can understand Neil's point about collecting.  There's no doubt that a part of the fun of collecting is "the search", but nevertheless I'd never want to go back to pre-dvd days.  The wonderful video and audio quality I get with many studio releases just can't compare to older vhs copies I had taped off television 15 to 20 years ago.  I've met some really nice people over the years that would allow me to just pay shipping/cost to them if I didn't have something to trade, but I've also met people who were just out and out jerks.  Some collectors refuse to trade unless you have something they want.  They won't work with you at all unless you have some "holy grail" they've yet to add to their precious collection.  I have no time for callous people of that ilk, and I believe some of them actually dislike the TV on DVD phenomenon because it's taken the power and exclusivity away from them.  Nope, I'm all for getting as much material officially released and off the "grey market" as possible.

Gary "this is a great hobby and I'm thankful I'm not at the mercy of greedy, arrogant collectors" O.

I completely, totally and unequivocally agree with everything you wrote here, Gary.  And I do mean EVERYTHING. Unlike many others who have dived into those gray realms, I was lucky to encounter  two collectors in the "alternate" market that are wonderful human beings, not just collectors with no capacity to help spread the enthusiasm and pure joy that comes from both empathetic and, yes, sympathetic sharing of the hobby.

As for those you so accurately delineate in your post,  let them retreat to their own shadow,  surrounded by all the rarities and find whatever happiness they can in their "It's All Mine, Mine, Mine" mentality. It's not the way I was raised nor would it be the way I chose to be even if I were raised as such. Life is too short and the hobby too empty without happily sharing the passion for it and inspiring the same in others.

#26 of 51 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 07:49 AM

I buy way too many tv shows on dvd.  I have to cut back. Thats what I was telling myself a few weeks ago.  since then I bought The A-Team complete series, Tales of the Gold Monkey, and pre-ordered a handful more titles. I really need to stop buying.  Is there a support group for classic tv addicts?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#27 of 51 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,635 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 08:10 AM

Amen to all that Shane and Walker have written.  It's the elitist-like, "I've got something you can't have" mentality of some collectors that makes me very happy for TV on DVD releases.  Hopefully the 2nd half of 2010 will be as nice to us as the 1st half was. Gary "go U.S.A. [World Cup]" O.

#28 of 51 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,409 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 26 2010 - 08:15 AM

It's the elitist-like, "I've got something you can't have" mentality of some collectors that makes me very happy for TV on DVD releases.

I've never understood that type of mentality either. I realize that it has to do with feeling 'special' because they have something that others don't have but I've always tried to tell people to check out shows that I like or lent them my copies so they could see them and hopefully enjoy them as much as I do.

#29 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 26 2010 - 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 
I've never understood that type of mentality either. I realize that it has to do with feeling 'special' because they have something that others don't have but I've always tried to tell people to check out shows that I like or lent them my copies so they could see them and hopefully enjoy them as much as I do.

I think this occurs in every hobbby out there, unfortunately,

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#30 of 51 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

I buy way too many tv shows on dvd.  I have to cut back.

Thats what I was telling myself a few weeks ago.  since then I bought The A-Team complete series, Tales of the Gold Monkey, and pre-ordered a handful more titles.

I really need to stop buying.  Is there a support group for classic tv addicts?

Read the sig line. Think I'm a charter member of the club.

I try very hard to limit myself to a set a month and I only buy stuff if I'm done watching what I've already bought, although I play fast and loose with that rule. Truth is, I'm so far behind on my actual watching of the DVDs I may never catch up.

Finally decided to buy one at a time in annual blocks unless there is something I REALLY want and want to make sure we get more. Fortunately, we're seeing more and more complete series sets (thanks, Shout!) so that fear is diminishing a tad, although I still worry about series like Alfred Hitchcock and The Fugitive.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#31 of 51 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

Truth is, I'm so far behind on my actual watching of the DVDs I may never catch up.

See, that is the same boat I'm in right now.  It's good to own all these great old shows, but time is a big factor with such an extensive collection.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#32 of 51 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,389 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 02:48 PM

^^ Ditto here! I calculate it will take me 12 - 14 Years to watch all the Shows, Movies and Other Programming  I have amassed since I began collecting them!

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#33 of 51 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 01:09 AM

But that's the funny part: it's not a regret or a bad thing if you're behind, it just means you have a wealth of material to draw from if there's nothing else good on. Me for example, by trying to watch in chronological order what I have, I just picked up from You Bet Your Life and Adventures of Superman last night. If I stop again, I'll just pick up from there. The hobby has it's pros and cons no doubt: pros - it's fantastic entertainment you can watch whenever you want and you have it as a resource to pass on to an up and coming generation. Cons - it's expensive, you really have to move on some of these shows either a.) to justify more releases or b.) before the darn things go out of print and you have to pay a ton to get them. To say nothing of the fact that we all have "must haves" that have yet to see the light of day on shelves. Still, I wouldn't trade this for all the tea in China. It's really more fun that I thought possible. Who would have thought staying up late to watch Nick at Night or early Disney Channel when I was a kid would lead to all this?
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#34 of 51 OFFLINE   Davidh27

Davidh27

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 02:00 AM

I was an avid collector of TVDVD's but recently I sold off about 70% of my stuff before they became like VHS tapes where you'd battle to sell them for a buck or so in a year or two. I initially collected about 80+ shows and when you add in that alot of those shows go for 5+ seasons each, you end up with hundreds of TV DVD's. The problem is when are you gonna watch them all? It's not like putting in a film. You've got to plough through up to 7 seasons of something and then are you gonna watch it again in the future-all and every season again! After about 5 years of collecting, I realised that I maybe only watched 10% of what I collected and the stuff that I'd already seen, I realised I never really would have had the time to watch it all over again. In the end, I decided to just keep a select and manageable number that I would watch over again i.e. I kept my X-Files sets and got rid of another 10 scif/fantasty titles that i never would get around to see for the first time or watching again. You've just got to be careful you don't just become a collector of DVD's that end up sitting in a closet unopened, unviewed and never likely too. I'm down to about 30 shows and that is still way too much. I'm trying for just  a top 5 in each genre and it is hard to let some stuff go.

#35 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 27 2010 - 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Davidh27 
I was an avid collector of TVDVD's but recently I sold off about 70% of my stuff before they became like VHS tapes where you'd battle to sell them for a buck or so in a year or two.

I initially collected about 80+ shows and when you add in that alot of those shows go for 5+ seasons each, you end up with hundreds of TV DVD's.

The problem is when are you gonna watch them all? It's not like putting in a film. You've got to plough through up to 7 seasons of something and then are you gonna watch it again in the future-all and every season again!

After about 5 years of collecting, I realised that I maybe only watched 10% of what I collected and the stuff that I'd already seen, I realised I never really would have had the time to watch it all over again.

In the end, I decided to just keep a select and manageable number that I would watch over again i.e. I kept my X-Files sets and got rid of another 10 scif/fantasty titles that i never would get around to see for the first time or watching again.

You've just got to be careful you don't just become a collector of DVD's that end up sitting in a closet unopened, unviewed and never likely too.

I'm down to about 30 shows and that is still way too much. I'm trying for just  a top 5 in each genre and it is hard to let some stuff go.

That's part of the reason I don't have the collection size that many here have in their libraries.  I don't want to be in that position with an overabundance of unopened sets.  The other reason, is "time".  I wouldn't have enough time to manage viewing time if I had a larger collection on the shelves.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#36 of 51 OFFLINE   hampsteadbandit

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 05:40 AM

I always realised this about owning / viewing TV DVD collections - the sheer time it takes to watch an entire show which may run to 5-7 seasons... huge time commitment, whilst a good movie can be enjoyed in 1.5-2 hours on a spare evening personally I think a TV DVD show has to be "really special" to be retained in my collection past the initial viewing - as an example HBO's "The Wire"

#37 of 51 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by hampsteadbandit 

I always realised this about owning / viewing TV DVD collections - the sheer time it takes to watch an entire show which may run to 5-7 seasons...

huge time commitment, whilst a good movie can be enjoyed in 1.5-2 hours on a spare evening

personally I think a TV DVD show has to be "really special" to be retained in my collection past the initial viewing - as an example HBO's "The Wire"

True, but what may be just OK to one is "special" to another. Case in point: I'll happily collect all 20 seasons of Law and Order if they get them all out because I love the show. Same with Lost, speaking on modern terms. I know very few others may do the same, but it's what I love.

That's the wonderful thing about this hobby: no one can tell you you are right or wrong, it's all in how you choose to build and view. Screw today's TV programmers and planners, we can do it ourselves and when done that way, there is ALWAYS something good on TV.

#38 of 51 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,389 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 07:27 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by MattPeriolat [url=/forum/thread/301721/anybody-buy-tv-dvd-s/30#post_3704976]

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#39 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,382 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 08:14 AM

I've met some really nice people over the years that would allow me to just pay shipping/cost to them if I didn't have something to trade, but I've also met people who were just out and out jerks.  Some collectors refuse to trade unless you have something they want.  They won't work with you at all unless you have some "holy grail" they've yet to add to their precious collection.  I have no time for callous people of that ilk, and I believe some of them actually dislike the TV on DVD phenomenon because it's taken the power and exclusivity away from them.

So, people who won't trade with you unless you have something they want are jerks? That's hysterical. I wish my sports teams could make trades for great players, even though they don't have players that the other team wants in return. Those other GMs are jerks for not giving my teams their stars in exchange for our bums. You're kidding right. Trading of any kind, whether its sports, collectibles, whatever, all involve a couple of things - each party wanting something that the other party wants and theoretically, each giving the other equal value. One thing that I've noticed over the years is that its always the people who have little or nothing of value who criticize those who have worked hard and spent a great deal to acquire hard-to-find material. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was you who had spent a few thousand dollars on film prints and transfers, how quickly you would offer what you had spent that much money on to others who had nothing you wanted, in exchange for "shipping" costs. Somehow, I doubt it. Not to mention, there are many people who acquire things that they have to promise not to give out. Also, what about people who get things from the studios or the producers and have to sign legal documents not to duplicate them? Are they jerks too?

"There are powers in the universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace."

The Galaxy Being

#40 of 51 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,635 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 08:36 AM

I stand, 100%, behind my comments Neil.  First off, in response to your hypotheticals about someone getting material from a studio or owner and signing to not duplicate it, I'll simply say this: if a person acquires something like that (and I have, one time) then the person probably doesn't want to go around trumpeting the fact they have it.  And if they don't trumpet that fact, then no one else knows and everyone is better off.  Secondly, I've offered much more than just shipping costs to people in the past after reading their braggadocious posts about having copies of such and such and still had them ignore the offer.  These people just want to brag about owning something they know others would like to see and enjoy the "power" that feeds their ego.  Those people I'd call jerks.  If someone is quietly amassing collections then more power to them.  But when people freely and openly talk about the things they have and then refuse to help others enjoy the same simply because the other party doesn't have something just as rare to trade with seems wrong to me.  I'll go no further than that. Gary "thankfully we've got plenty of official releases so that no one has to go without" O.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users