What's new

Anybody buy TV DVD's??? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I'm James. I live in a relatively small Western North Dakota town, I'm about two hours from the nearest Best Buy, and even more shockingly no Burger King. But we do have a McDonalds.

All my life I've been a tv fan, but there aren't too many television afficionados that I know personally.

It seems that none of the friends and family are that big on the small screen (or the big screen for that matter). They hunt, work, go to football games, fish, etc.

Except me.

I go to the local WalMart, and I see TV-DVD's that I guess some people besides me purchase. I'm not sure about this, but I do see some empty slots at times. . . So I presume that other people purchase these things. . . . but I'm still not sure. Nobody talks about them much.

Are you guys on this forum real? Or are you just a figment of my imagination that I've constructed to reassure my sense of television reality?

Sane people don't make up wish lists of forty year old programs that nobody else remembers. Others get involved with other people, date, do things. . . . And here I am hoping that someday a soundtrack album to the Six Million Dollar Man comes out, with Lee Majors singing his classic "Sweet Jaime."

Do any of you other tv philes feel you're alone?

James

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have collected TV on dvd since 2005, and have quite a large collection. I sweldom watch new tv shows any,ore and got rid of my cable a month ago. I watch what I want when I want. Great hobby. And you are not alone. LOL

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

OMG! I cant believe i am reading that from you Jeff!

However, i would pass on ANY Lee Majors singing.

You are not alone James. However, i must say, my TV on DVD buying has really slowed down. Not much coming out i really want. Shoot, i have more than i can watch again in my life.

Sorry all you have is BK to eat. Cause the last 2 times i ate at one i got sick. And the last time i ate BK was 5 years ago. So i am sure i would starve in your town.

Last, i am really looking forward to some 6M$M and BW to hit the store shelves in the US this year! YEA!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I think I'm real, therefore I must be. Descartes or something like that.

All kidding aside, I came late to the TV on DVD format, starting around 2002 with shows that I knew (Buffy, Robotech, 24, Simpsons and Law and Order) and slowly grew my collection as more vintage entertainment started coming out, chiefly with Disney and their (apparently) late Treasures collection.

I'm not as anti modern TV as some, although I agree there is something to be said for the kind of laughter that an I Love Lucy can provoke as opposed to the kind of gross out lowbrow humor that some people seem to tolerate these days.

I got lucky living in the suburbs of LA when I started, where it was easy, albeit expensive, to collect these shows. Living in eastern Kentucky now, I'm dependent on Amazon and DeepDiscount to get my fixes these days.

Anyway, welcome to the family. You are not alone and am happy you have joined our little niche in the world.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yes tv on DVD is still the bulk of my purchases these days I digitize them and mostly watch on my iPad.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER
My TV/DVD collecting has also slowed down as the amount ot titles have slowed in the past 2 years, imo. There's not near as much getting released that's on my purchase list as there was in eaelier years but I'm still buying some things.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Are you guys on this forum real? Or are you just a figment of my imagination that I've constructed to reassure my sense of television reality?

Do any of you other tv philes feel you're alone?

James, like Jeff I just pinched myself to see if I was real or just a figment of your imagination, and it hurt so I'm guessing I am real. LOL

I'm fortunate in that I have two teenage daughters that I've raised to appreciate vintage TV so I've always got someone around to watch the classics with. But overall I find that those of us that really get into collecting and talking about old TV shows are a small, small subculture. It just is what it is and I don't worry about it. Everyone has their hobbies and as long as I don't drift off into Cuckooville where I can't function in everyday life I feel fine with the hobby I've chosen.

BTW, have I ever mentioned that I'm working on a book that details all the different buttons on Rob Petrie's shirts from the Dick Van Dyke Show? Or the other manuscript I'm almost finished with that diagrams every fish caught on Gilligan's Island? LOL

Gary "take care, folks" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I continue to buy TV on DVD. There are a number of shows I was unable to follow back in the 60's because we had one TV for three networks. Now I can revisit any number of shows I always wanted to watch, but I was unable to at the time. There are also some real classics from back there that I enjoy watching over and over again. I also like to do a blind buy from that era of TV from time to time.

And yeah, no commercials and no schedules is a definite plus.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
TV on DVD is fantastic for anyone "late to the party" - who like me, missed alot of classic TV shows like 24, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, reimagined BSG, The Unit, etc.

It's great to pick up an entire show (especially one that is finished) and watch several episodes a night, over a long period, as you can really get into the show, rather than waiting every week for the next episode as experienced when watching it "live" on TV!

I don't even have an outside connection to my HD setup, so rely on TV on DVD to keep me happy watching, when I am not watching movies!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That's late to the party alright with those quite recent shows, but better late than never as they say.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Welcome to the club! You're not alone, but it's a very exclusive group! Other than the folks here I don't know anyone else who purchases TVonDVD like I do. Some will pick up a few seasons here and there but they'll have a dozen at best. I have more in my unwatched pile than anyone else I know has in their entire collection!

No one in my family understands my addiction (and it's not just TVonDVD but movies too)! They all think I have *way* too many DVDs. My wife typically makes derisive remarks every time a new one arrives in the post (although she'll watch "live" TV and stream her soaps). I'm an original couch potato who, as a youth, had the TV schedule memorized at all times. All I needed TV Guide for was the Fall Preview issues and to determine what was a rerun. *Rarely* at work a couple of the guys will talk TV but it's mostly sports (of which I have *no* interest).

It's fun re-discovering old shows and being able to *finally* see some of those I was never able to see because of competition or being on the wrong night/time (Sunday/Wednesday - Church, Friday football, Thursday Basketball (in the band - had to march/play in pep-band)).

Like many here, I've eschewed watching "live" TV for just purchasing what I like. While I'll sample new shows, if I like it I'll just pick it up on DVD rather than try to sit through the interminable commercial interruptions!

If "Sane people don't make up wish lists of forty year old programs that nobody else remembers" then consider me insane. :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^

Well-said :). I bet you have more TV/DVD sets than me :). I have approx 220 sets where a complete series = 1 in my list.

I remember those days....no home video taping technology,...missing some episodes due to other activities.

We're on the opposite side of the track on the "sports" thing, though

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
*Rarely* at work a couple of the guys will talk TV but it's mostly sports (of which I have *no* interest).

Bless you, Sir. All my uncles are into sports. I can't stand the hitting, chasing, and tossing of the balls. Can all the sports in the world equal the excitement of the forces of good versus the forces of evil in Get Smart, Star Trek, AND The Six Million Dollar Man?

I lived in an area (until a few years ago) never had a proper ABC affiliate. In the late sixties, and early seventies, The NBC and CBS affiliates "split" some of their ABC programs during the early Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. Go figure. The DVD's give us a chance to see some of the ABC programming from decades past.

Maybe some of our lost programming that hasn't reached DVD yet gives us something to shoot for? To give us something to look forward? Something to make us sign petitions and pester people about.

James

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Like many here, I've eschewed watching "live" TV for just purchasing what I like. While I'll sample new shows, if I like it I'll just pick it up on DVD rather than try to sit through the interminable commercial interruptions!

I know exactly what you're talking about.

I watched the Futurama premier "live" last night. I think that was the first time I've watched something off of broadcast TV, as opposed to DVD or DVR, in years. The neverending commercials and stupid channel logo and promo bugs on the bottom of the screen were enough to make me realize I'll never be watching Futurama, or probably any other show "live" again.

DVD (and DVR) has spoiled me.

And, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I buy a lot of TV on DVD, but don't know anyone else in the real world who does.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link There's nothing like going to the shelf and choosing from a variety of shows at and given time.

Wow, I checked my Excel DVD list and I have more complete TV/DVD series' than I thought. I have 35 complete sets, which includes any 1-season show as a complete set and I included "The Saint" complete B/W set although I don't have the complete color set of that series.

I have 17 miniseries sets in the collection.

I have ~9 series that are near complete, most lacking 1 or 2 seasons.

On the movie/film side, you're way ahead of me. I have 243 movies where, on this list, I count individual movies that are in a "series" of films, ie, the recent MOD releases of the "Barker" Tarzan movies are counted individually.

Unwatched inventory: You're also way ahead there. I have about 165 series that are in progress with ~79 unwatched partial series, including half-season volumns and miniseries.

On the movie side, I didn't count but I think I have about 10-15 unwatched movies.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I know exactly what you're talking about.

I watched the Futurama premier "live" last night. I think that was the first time I've watched something off of broadcast TV, as opposed to DVD or DVR, in years. The neverending commercials and stupid channel logo and promo bugs on the bottom of the screen were enough to make me realize I'll never be watching Futurama, or probably any other show "live" again.

DVD (and DVR) has spoiled me.

I know how you feel! In the 3 1/2 years since I "Cut the Cord" on those occaisions where I'm at someone else's home, and they are watching TV the stuff I see almost makes me sick! Today I saw someone "Surf" through some 100+ Channels for OVER AN HOUR, trying, in an act of futility, to find something of interest. How can people stand doing this? IMO they are throwing their money away!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
And I thought I was the only one trying to reconstruct classic TV schedules. It's impossible to do with the cartoons, in most cases, but thanks to old TV guides and a variety of 'net sources, I have three Word files and an Excel file trying to keep everything more or less straight. As of right now, the only "complete" year (that is, every show available through either known studios or no PD stuff) is 1954. Still haven't figured out where the Spike Jones Show goes, but between I Love Lucy, Loretta Young, Adventures of Superman, Lassie, Disneyland and You Bet Your Life, it's a tremendous cocktail.

The only hard part? One year at a time, one season of a show at a time, it takes a LONG time to build a complete year schedule, but nice to have samples all over the place so you can get a taste.

Slowly but surely as the old saying goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks