What's new

Has Fox dropped the Ball?? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

Years ago, I would have sworn that 20th Century Fox was the best at putting out classic tv out on DVD. They did everything from the Irwin Allen shows, to the X-Files, to starting out on programs like Mary Tyler Moore and the seventies Newhart series.

However, in the past two to three years, I would say they dropped the ball totally. They've gone from number 1 to as low as Disney. Now I would say Paramount is the Number 1 when it comes to putting out classic TV releases, with WB almost a tie or number 2.

What do you think? Fellow tv-philes, do you think Fox has really gone down hill in their tv releases? And what can possibly be done to get them back up?

Or maybe they just ran out of money makers?

James

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
To be honest, I never thought Fox was all that good at releasing classic TV. They were nearer the bottom than the top. The few shows that got released were either quickly abandoned or had long waiting spells. MTM should have been a showcase for them, but the first release has an obscenely high MSRP which killed sales and almost killed the series. They've seen relented and priced the releases accordingly.

Very few pre-1970 properties have come out and those had the infamous mid season stalls.

Paramount was always the top of my list and still are even with some botched releases (Fugitive, My Three Sons). At this point, Shout is likely their closest competitor.

I completely agree with you though that Fox has gotten out of the classic business. This applies to both the TV and theatrical side.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
No question that Fox has all but abandoned the release of classic TV on DVD, which is a real shame since they own the entire MTM library. But to be fair, they aren't the only studios who have pulled out of that market. Sony is at least as bad. The only positive thing is that both studios have begun to allow independents like Shout! to release a few shows they have no interest in releasing themselves (i.e.; Rhoda, Parker Lewis Can't Lose). Hopefully, it is a trend which will accelerate.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If there were interest, I'd say Newhart is a show Shout could likely pick up.

Abandoned after one season, the bulk of the run is still available for Shout to release. Kind of like Adam 12, Dragnet, and Facts of Life.

The Bob Newhart Show, though... that's one I worry for. only two seasons left... who knows if anyone would take a chance on them.

Oh, and let's not forget that the Mary Tyler Moore show is still incomplete, with no word on the final season.

But, yeah, I agree with everyone else who has posted so far... Fox and Sony are out of the classic TV on DVD game. Universal, as well. Shout and other companies that license shows are picking up all of their material for release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, Shout! picked up All in the Family from Sony starting with season 7, so it's conceivable that they could pick up The Bob Newhart Show's last two seasons.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Well, Shout! picked up All in the Family from Sony starting with season 7, so it's conceivable that they could pick up The Bob Newhart Show's last two seasons.
Yeah, I posted my post, logged off the 'net for a couple hours, and by the time I got back, All in the Family had been resurrected.

Maybe there is hope for the Bob Newhart Show. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Yeah, I was thinking that I must of slept through the announcement that All in the Family season 7 was on it's way. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Fox has become a major disappointment.

If Fox sees no value in releasing its own shows, they should license them out. They would make a little money, avoid the risk and make consumers happy. Maybe they will be like CBS/P. After a few years, certain shows have been getting further releases. Taxi and Have Gun Will Travel are two that come to mind. And, Fox seems to be doing that with Mary Tyler Moore.

The thing I wonder about, is Shout a big enough operation to handle all the stalled shows of Fox and these other studios? I don't think so.

Collecting these TV shows on DVD seemed so simple when I started and now has gotten so complicated.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

The thing I wonder about, is Shout a big enough operation to handle all the stalled shows of Fox and these other studios? I don't think so.
If they're growing (Or grow bigger in the future), that logically means they're increasing their revenue and should have an increased amount of capital to handle additional projects in the future (And additional employees if needed).

And of course they're not interested in handling all of the stalled shows of any studio, they're out cherry picking looking for the best opportunities to get the most bang out of their budget (Like Leave it to Beaver). They're after the bigger shows that weren't quite big enough to get the return on investment a large corporation requires, but which there is still a suitable profit opportunity for a smaller outfit like Shout to make a go at.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Oh, and let's not forget that the Mary Tyler Moore show is still incomplete, with no word on the final season.
October of this year

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mr Finn is there any hope at all for the release of the last 13 Episodes of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea season 4 vol 2?

We Peyton Place Fans are still waiting for Fox to release more episodes to Shout! Factory. Shout has stated many times they are waiting for Fox to give them more Peyton Place Episodes. Can you give us some help or any idea of when this may happen?

Thankyou for your answer on MTM

Mark Collins

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by ChrisALM
Fox has become a major disappointment.
Fox clearly sees value in it's film library over it's tv library. And even then they do very little with the 1929-1949 period.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly
How do you know that?
Personally, I tend to believe him because of the "Industry Insider" tag by his name, and the link to 20th Century Fox in his signature. Those little clues lead me to believe he's involved with 20th Century Fox in some way. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

If they're growing (Or grow bigger in the future), that logically means they're increasing their revenue and should have an increased amount of capital to handle additional projects in the future (And additional employees if needed).

And of course they're not interested in handling all of the stalled shows of any studio, they're out cherry picking looking for the best opportunities to get the most bang out of their budget (Like Leave it to Beaver). They're after the bigger shows that weren't quite big enough to get the return on investment a large corporation requires, but which there is still a suitable profit opportunity for a smaller outfit like Shout to make a go at.
I agree with everything you've said. But, when Mister Ed Season 1 and Father Knows Best Season 1 were released with syndicated prints, Shout gives the impression they cannot handle what they are already releasing.

With the Leave it to Beaver set, Shout seemed to stayed on top of things, even had a slight delay in the release schedule to get it right. I hope they are getting it together with all of their releases. I especially want to support their releases of the 50's and 60's shows, I just want quality releases.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Fox clearly sees value in it's film library over it's tv library. And even then they do very little with the 1929-1949 period.
That time period is a little farther back than I was thinking about./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif The major disappointment to me is that Fox has just about gotten out of the business of releasing their older tv show properties on DVD.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
I love all the passion for the titles you want to see on DVD. Really, I do. It isn't that we have given up on any of it. Quite the opposite. Depending on a title, there could be many reasons for delays or why they aren't available --- legal rights to the series, agreements with other partners, current slate of releases are just too plentiful to add something that may not have a big demand, financial, etc - it isn't a mystery, and like any other business - everything has to be lined up. We are proud that we got the full season of ALLY MCBEAL out recently with the original music intact -- the fans responded extremely well to it and that in turn is going to help us get the ball rolling on other titles. Mary Tyler Moore will be complete by the end of the year and we hope that the cast will come together to celebrate it.

I would be lying if I told you we don't sit around talking about what we think could be cool designs for a DVD box set release of the Adam West Batman series...we are fans too. Wish i could share with you my favorite idea for one...

hang in there and thanks for your support.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Finn
I love all the passion for the titles you want to see on DVD. Really, I do. It isn't that we have given up on any of it. Quite the opposite. Depending on a title, there could be many reasons for delays or why they aren't available --- legal rights to the series, agreements with other partners, current slate of releases are just too plentiful to add something that may not have a big demand, financial, etc - it isn't a mystery, and like any other business - everything has to be lined up. We are proud that we got the full season of ALLY MCBEAL out recently with the original music intact -- the fans responded extremely well to it and that in turn is going to help us get the ball rolling on other titles. Mary Tyler Moore will be complete by the end of the year and we hope that the cast will come together to celebrate it.

I would be lying if I told you we don't sit around talking about what we think could be cool designs for a DVD box set release of the Adam West Batman series...we are fans too. Wish i could share with you my favorite idea for one...

Thanks for your input here /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif I do own several set of Fox releases. As an older series collector, I've seen some of my all-time favorites get released and with outstanding restoration prints, such as "Time Tunnel" and most of the "Voyage....Sea" series among my favorites. I am holding out hope for my all-time favorite family western "Big Valley" to someday get a complete series release as well. As for "Batman"...well...as you know, there are millons awating that situation to hopefully get resolved.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Finn

I appreciate your response. I think we all understand that rights issues and/or music issues impact DVD releases. And no one can reasonably expect Fox to lose money by continually releasing unprofitable DVD sets. That is why, once Fox has determined that a specific release is not financially feasible, I would like to see them get proactive in licensing their titles to another company that could make it work.

As an example, Universal seems to be making the licensing route work. If it is working for them, could it not work for Fox on a wider scale than we have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks