-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Has Fox dropped the Ball??


  • Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 of 101 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

    Supporting Actor

  • 832 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 22 2003

Posted June 23 2010 - 10:33 AM

Dear Guys:


Years ago, I would have sworn that 20th Century Fox was the best at putting out classic tv out on DVD.  They did everything from the Irwin Allen shows, to the X-Files, to starting out on programs like Mary Tyler Moore and the seventies Newhart series.


However, in the past two to three years, I would say they dropped the ball totally. They've gone from number 1 to as low as Disney.  Now I would say Paramount is the Number 1 when it comes to putting out classic TV releases, with WB almost a tie or number 2.


What do you think? Fellow tv-philes, do you think Fox has really gone down hill in their tv releases? And what can possibly be done to get them back up?


Or maybe they just ran out of money makers?


James



#2 of 101 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

    Producer

  • 3,260 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 2003
  • Real Name:Steve

Posted June 23 2010 - 11:13 AM

To be honest, I never thought Fox was all that good at releasing classic TV.  They were nearer the bottom than the top.  The few shows that got released were either quickly abandoned or had long waiting spells.   MTM should have been a showcase for them, but the first release has an obscenely high MSRP which killed sales and almost killed the series.  They've seen relented and priced the releases accordingly.


Very few pre-1970 properties have come out and those had the infamous mid season stalls.


Paramount was always the top of my list and still are even with some botched releases (Fugitive, My Three Sons).  At this point, Shout is likely their closest competitor.


I completely agree with you though that Fox has gotten out of the classic business.  This applies to both the TV and theatrical side.


Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 101 OFFLINE   potnoodle

potnoodle

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 67 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2006

Posted June 23 2010 - 11:26 AM

No question that Fox has all but abandoned the release of classic TV on DVD, which is a real shame since they own the entire MTM library. But to be fair, they aren't the only studios who have pulled out of that market. Sony is at least as bad. The only positive thing is that both studios have begun to allow independents like Shout! to release a few shows they have no interest in releasing themselves (i.e.; Rhoda, Parker Lewis Can't Lose). Hopefully, it is a trend which will accelerate.



#4 of 101 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

    Screenwriter

  • 1,144 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2008
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted June 23 2010 - 11:32 AM

If there were interest, I'd say Newhart is a show Shout could likely pick up.


Abandoned after one season, the bulk of the run is still available for Shout to release. Kind of like Adam 12, Dragnet, and Facts of Life.


The Bob Newhart Show, though... that's one I worry for. only two seasons left... who knows if anyone would take a chance on them.


Oh, and let's not forget that the Mary Tyler Moore show is still incomplete, with no word on the final season.


But, yeah, I agree with everyone else who has posted so far... Fox and Sony are out of the classic TV on DVD game. Universal, as well. Shout and other companies that license shows are picking up all of their material for release.



#5 of 101 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

    Producer

  • 6,214 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 19 2000
  • Real Name:Matthew
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 23 2010 - 02:43 PM

Well, Shout! picked up All in the Family from Sony starting with season 7, so it's conceivable that they could pick up The Bob Newhart Show's last two seasons.


Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.


#6 of 101 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

    Screenwriter

  • 1,144 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2008
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted June 23 2010 - 02:55 PM



Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Well, Shout! picked up All in the Family from Sony starting with season 7, so it's conceivable that they could pick up The Bob Newhart Show's last two seasons.


Yeah, I posted my post, logged off the 'net for a couple hours, and by the time I got back, All in the Family had been resurrected.


Maybe there is hope for the Bob Newhart Show. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif



#7 of 101 OFFLINE   potnoodle

potnoodle

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 67 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2006

Posted June 23 2010 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that I must of slept through the announcement that All in the Family season 7 was on it's way. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif



#8 of 101 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

    Second Unit

  • 330 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 21 2005

Posted June 23 2010 - 05:19 PM

Fox has stalled all efforts from Shout! to license anymore episodes of Peyton Place.  They get the big raspberry from me!



#9 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 546 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 23 2010 - 07:00 PM

Fox has become a major disappointment.


If Fox sees no value in releasing its own shows, they should license them out. They would make a little money, avoid the risk and make consumers happy. Maybe they will be like CBS/P. After a few years, certain shows have been getting further releases. Taxi and Have Gun Will Travel are two that come to mind. And, Fox seems to be doing that with Mary Tyler Moore.


The thing I wonder about, is Shout a big enough operation to handle all the stalled shows of Fox and these other studios? I don't think so.


Collecting these TV shows on DVD seemed so simple when I started and now has gotten so complicated.




#10 of 101 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

    Supporting Actor

  • 950 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 2008
  • Real Name:Leo
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 23 2010 - 07:39 PM




Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

The thing I wonder about, is Shout a big enough operation to handle all the stalled shows of Fox and these other studios? I don't think so.



If they're growing (Or grow bigger in the future), that logically means they're increasing their revenue and should have an increased amount of capital to handle additional projects in the future (And additional employees if needed).


And of course they're not interested in handling all of the stalled shows of any studio, they're out cherry picking looking for the best opportunities to get the most bang out of their budget (Like Leave it to Beaver). They're after the bigger shows that weren't quite big enough to get the return on investment a large corporation requires, but which there is still a suitable profit opportunity for a smaller outfit like Shout to make a go at.



#11 of 101 OFFLINE   Finn

Finn

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 128 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 17 2009
  • Real Name:James Finn

Posted June 23 2010 - 07:55 PM



Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

Oh, and let's not forget that the Mary Tyler Moore show is still incomplete, with no word on the final season.



October of this year


@FinnAtFox

#12 of 101 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

    Screenwriter

  • 2,001 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 21 2008

Posted June 24 2010 - 05:17 AM

Mr Finn is there any hope at all for the release of the last 13 Episodes of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea season 4 vol 2?

We Peyton Place Fans are still waiting for Fox to release more episodes to Shout! Factory.  Shout has stated many times they are waiting for Fox to give them more Peyton Place Episodes.  Can you give us some help or any idea of when this may happen? 

Thankyou for your answer on MTM


Mark Collins


#13 of 101 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,974 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 05 2006

Posted June 24 2010 - 06:15 AM




Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

Fox has become a major disappointment.




Fox clearly sees value in it's film library over it's tv library. And even then they do very little with the 1929-1949 period.



#14 of 101 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter

  • 1,741 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted June 24 2010 - 07:12 AM



Originally Posted by Finn 




October of this year



How do you know that?



#15 of 101 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

    Screenwriter

  • 1,144 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2008
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted June 24 2010 - 07:26 AM



Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly 





How do you know that?


Personally, I tend to believe him because of the "Industry Insider" tag by his name, and the link to 20th Century Fox in his signature. Those little clues lead me to believe he's involved with 20th Century Fox in some way. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif




#16 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 546 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 24 2010 - 11:02 AM



Originally Posted by LeoAmes 





If they're growing (Or grow bigger in the future), that logically means they're increasing their revenue and should have an increased amount of capital to handle additional projects in the future (And additional employees if needed).


And of course they're not interested in handling all of the stalled shows of any studio, they're out cherry picking looking for the best opportunities to get the most bang out of their budget (Like Leave it to Beaver). They're after the bigger shows that weren't quite big enough to get the return on investment a large corporation requires, but which there is still a suitable profit opportunity for a smaller outfit like Shout to make a go at.


I agree with everything you've said. But, when Mister Ed Season 1 and Father Knows Best Season 1 were released with syndicated prints, Shout gives the impression they cannot handle what they are already releasing.


With the Leave it to Beaver set, Shout seemed to stayed on top of things, even had a slight delay in the release schedule to get it right. I hope they are getting it together with all of their releases. I especially want to support their releases of the 50's and 60's shows, I just want quality releases.



#17 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 546 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 24 2010 - 02:29 PM



Originally Posted by DeWilson 






Fox clearly sees value in it's film library over it's tv library. And even then they do very little with the 1929-1949 period.



That time period is a little farther back than I was thinking about./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif  The major disappointment to me is that Fox has just about gotten out of the business of releasing their older tv show properties on DVD.



#18 of 101 OFFLINE   Finn

Finn

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 128 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 17 2009
  • Real Name:James Finn

Posted June 24 2010 - 08:10 PM

I love all the passion for the titles you want to see on DVD. Really, I do. It isn't that we have given up on any of it. Quite the opposite. Depending on a title, there could be many reasons for delays or why they aren't available --- legal rights to the series, agreements with other partners, current slate of releases are just too plentiful to add something that may not have a big demand, financial, etc - it isn't a mystery, and like any other business - everything has to be lined up. We are proud that we got the full season of ALLY MCBEAL out recently with the original music intact -- the fans responded extremely well to it and that in turn is going to help us get the ball rolling on other titles. Mary Tyler Moore will be complete by the end of the year and we hope that the cast will come together to celebrate it.


I would be lying if I told you we don't sit around talking about what we think could be cool designs for a DVD box set release of the Adam West Batman series...we are fans too. Wish i could share with you my favorite idea for one...


hang in there and thanks for your support.


@FinnAtFox

#19 of 101 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

    Producer

  • 3,382 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 01 2005
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 24 2010 - 10:29 PM



Originally Posted by Finn 
I love all the passion for the titles you want to see on DVD. Really, I do. It isn't that we have given up on any of it. Quite the opposite. Depending on a title, there could be many reasons for delays or why they aren't available --- legal rights to the series, agreements with other partners, current slate of releases are just too plentiful to add something that may not have a big demand, financial, etc - it isn't a mystery, and like any other business - everything has to be lined up. We are proud that we got the full season of ALLY MCBEAL out recently with the original music intact -- the fans responded extremely well to it and that in turn is going to help us get the ball rolling on other titles. Mary Tyler Moore will be complete by the end of the year and we hope that the cast will come together to celebrate it.


I would be lying if I told you we don't sit around talking about what we think could be cool designs for a DVD box set release of the Adam West Batman series...we are fans too. Wish i could share with you my favorite idea for one...


hang in there and thanks for your support.


Thanks for your input here /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif  I do own several set of Fox releases.  As an older series collector, I've seen some of my all-time favorites get released and with outstanding restoration prints, such as "Time Tunnel" and most of the "Voyage....Sea" series among my favorites.  I am holding out hope for my all-time favorite family western "Big Valley" to someday get a complete series release as well.  As for "Batman"...well...as you know, there are millons awating that situation to hopefully get resolved.



ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

 

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"


#20 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 546 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted June 25 2010 - 02:07 AM



Originally Posted by Finn 

I love all the passion for the titles you want to see on DVD. Really, I do. It isn't that we have given up on any of it. Quite the opposite. Depending on a title, there could be many reasons for delays or why they aren't available --- legal rights to the series, agreements with other partners, current slate of releases are just too plentiful to add something that may not have a big demand, financial, etc - it isn't a mystery, and like any other business - everything has to be lined up. We are proud that we got the full season of ALLY MCBEAL out recently with the original music intact -- the fans responded extremely well to it and that in turn is going to help us get the ball rolling on other titles. Mary Tyler Moore will be complete by the end of the year and we hope that the cast will come together to celebrate it.


I would be lying if I told you we don't sit around talking about what we think could be cool designs for a DVD box set release of the Adam West Batman series...we are fans too. Wish i could share with you my favorite idea for one...


hang in there and thanks for your support.


I appreciate your response. I think we all understand that rights issues and/or music issues impact DVD releases. And no one can reasonably expect Fox to lose money by continually releasing unprofitable DVD sets. That is why, once Fox has determined that a specific release is not financially feasible, I would like to see them get proactive in licensing their titles to another company that could make it work.


As an example, Universal seems to be making the licensing route work. If it is working for them, could it not work for Fox on a wider scale than we have now?






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users