What's new

Home Theater Setup --Questions/Advice/ Help :-) (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Wow.. registered here 10 years or so ago, and haven't posted here in almost 5... still remember lots of the names that I see though. LIke a trip down memory lane.

So.. I'm looking to set up my first actual receiver/speaker set up.

Now I live in an apartment, so space is at a premium, and I can't break the bank either. This is not a system that I plan on blasting out the windows with, just something that will be a nice upgrade from my regular old TV speakers, and give me some flexibility.

So my current set up is as follows....

TV -- Vizio GV42L 1080p 42" TV.

Blu-Ray Player -- Panasonic BD-65(just purchased)

Cable Box -- Comcast HD cable box/DVR(Motorola Brand)

Xbox 360

I have both the Xbox 360 and the Blu-Ray player hooked up thru HDMI, and the cable box thru component. Audio right now is hooked up via standard RCA cables on the cable box, other two(Xbox 360 and Panasonic BD65) are thru the HDMI connections.

My room dimensions are approximately 12 ft(width) x 16ft(length).

What do you guys would be the best way to go. I don't mind spending more if its going to be a nicer setup etc, and I from what I have read here HTIB are something you want to stay away from.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HTiB's are fine if you don't have a lot of other equipment to connect. You do. The exception is Onkyo which gives you a real receiver in some of their systems.

But the big thing is budget. You don't list one. Breaking the bank for you and breaking the bank for me may be vastly different.

Finally, does it sound good to you? Try and audition them first and see if you like how the speakers sound. If you buy a system that fatigues your ears after 10 minutes then it will be a waste of money because you will never use it. I was lucky because I built my speakers from a proven design but I had never heard them. I have used them every single time I watch TV/movies in my theater room which is where 99% of my TV watching takes place.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Robert_J

HTiB's are fine if you don't have a lot of other equipment to connect. You do. The exception is Onkyo which gives you a real receiver in some of their systems.

But the big thing is budget. You don't list one. Breaking the bank for you and breaking the bank for me may be vastly different.

Finally, does it sound good to you? Try and audition them first and see if you like how the speakers sound. If you buy a system that fatigues your ears after 10 minutes then it will be a waste of money because you will never use it. I was lucky because I built my speakers from a proven design but I had never heard them. I have used them every single time I watch TV/movies in my theater room which is where 99% of my TV watching takes place.

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I guess budget wise I would like to stay under 1000$ if at all possible. That might even be pushing it. Since I live in an apartment, I can't have something that will shake the floors all the time etc. I just would like to get something that would work for now, and be upgradeable down the road if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks