What's new

Wireless Speaker Options.... (1 Viewer)

kihon

Grip
Real Name
Tony
I did a search for Wireless speakers and "Chinese for Kids" came up under products. LoL

Anyhow. hey can you experts gimme some advice on some wireless speakers mid priced for my surround system? I only need 4, two fronts and two rears, I already have a good sub that is wired and that's OK. I have an Onkyo 806 receiver.

Thanks in advance

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry you didn't get a reply. It is the weekend......

Hopefully someone who knows a bit more will be by to help. However, you probably won't find many here that have wireless or know enough to help you. Generally, wireless is more trouble than its worth. I can't imagine putting wireless speakers on such a nice receiver, but that's just my opinion.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The thing you need to understand is that most "wireless" speakers aren't wireless. Because they aren't being fed power over a wire from the receiver they need their own amplifiers. These amps, plus the radio receiver they also need in order to get the signal from the expensive after-market transmitter you've attached to your Onkyo, mean that the speakers need power.

Power means either batteries (feel like turning the speakers on and off all the time and/or constantly replacing recharging batteries) or a hard-wired AC connection. AC power means either that each speaker has its own power plug or - the more common arrangement - one of the pair has the power, amp and receiver and it connects to the other through - you guessed it - WIRES!

(All of this is why virtually all "wireless" speakers you see on the market are for rear/side surround speakers only. With those you get the tiny advantage of not having to run wire from the front of the room - where your receiver is - to the back. For fronts there is no such advantage. You'd end up with more wires - and one or two fewer available electrical outlets - if you tried to make your front speakers wireless.)

All of this is without even considering the quality of most wirless speakers (marginal) or the fact that your front three speakers would be badly mismatched, which would wreck your front soundstage.

Are you beginning to see why the replies didn't simply pour in during the first 10 hours after you posted?

Why don't you tell us why you think you need/want wireless speakers and let us see if we can suggest alternatives. Because I'm pretty sure that the wireless solution you have in mind doesn't exist.

Regards,

Joe

kihon

Grip
Real Name
Tony
Hi Joe,

Sorry about the HELLO comment. I am a semi-large community(not in home theaters) owner/admin and sometimes it's hard to think that replies don't happen faster that 10 hours weekends nor not.

ANyhow, What I'm doing is moving my HTS to a larger room in my house. I'm thinking about wireless options since I flush mount my rear speakers into the drywall ceiling. This is how I have them now and they are great. But in the new room, I'm going with a 60 inch LCD, my receiver mentoined and my MB quart inwalls for the fronts. My rear situation is a little different. There are vaulted ceilings and I'm trying to find a solution for these rears. I guess what I need to do is come up with a sketch of what I'm trying to do.

THanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks