What's new

*** Official TOY STORY 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A quote from Tim Allen in the latest issue of EW says he's ready for TS4.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

Will do. And to think while you were getting to go see the movie I was sitting here at work in NKC.

I will probably wait until Monday afternoon to avoid the big crowds.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thanks for the comments; looking forward to this tomorrow night. There's no other film this summer I am looking forward to as much.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I just had the willpower to avoid Matt & Chad's spoilers. This is my must-see of the summer and it will be seen SOON!

Thanks for the teases guys! I liked the 3-D but it didn't seem necessary.

Then, I went and saw Avatar in 2-D and always felt like I was missing something.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Due to schedules I'm getting ready to head out to the 2D and will catch the 3D next weekend with the wife and kid.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Honest opinion: I can't think of a single effect in 3D that I remember. Not one. I'm sure there were some, but I just don't remember them. You watch this one for the story, not for the 3D effect.

I actually want to see this in 2D now, because I have to think the color and layout may be brighter..

But whether you watch in 3D or 2D you aren't going to give a darn about the effects. They really are pretty meaningless here.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Pixar's use of 3-D is subtle and immersive, not in-your-face. But for this film I splurged for IMAX 3-D and don't regret it one bit.

I didn't think they could top Toy Story. I was wrong.

I didn't think they could top Toy Story 2. I was wrong again.

A brilliant film, absolutely amazing in its wit, pathos, and adventure. Obviously the technical side has never been better, but the sheer emotional resonance of the film, particularly the climax and the end, won it for me. It's the perfect (and logical) conclusion to what is now a trilogy, perhaps the perfect trilogy (sorry, Star Wars and Godfather, whose third films don't match the first two).

How do they do it? I guess being away from the suits in Burbank helps (going back into this thread shows how much different, and worse, this could be). That, and having the talent, drive, and gumption to make every film better than the last. Perhaps Pixar will be the first one to make a film better than Citizen Kane.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm going to say something here that is killed me today; a family member reminded me via facebook of a doll a sister had as a kid. Because of medical problems as a kid, the doll went with her to the hospital often. Doctors gave it shots and bandaids. My sister is perfectly fine now, but when my older sister said that the final scene reminded her so much of that, you remember all the things you loved as a kid.

I have no idea what it is either. But somehow, Pixar has managed to plant a pipeline right into that joy, wonder, love and amazement we had as kids. And this film does it so well that I am psyched to take my kids on Sunday; to share something like that with them too. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Toy Story 3". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Toy Story 3" should be posted to the [COLOR= rgb(68, 112, 140)]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon I liked the 3-D but it didn't seem necessary.

I debated this myself for the entire week before seeing it. It came down to several things, really.

First, the screens in my theater's 3D auditoriums are smaller than the two main 35mm auditoriums where I knew it'd be playing (it has a digital "fake" IMAX screen but that's never an option). Size, to me, is very important. Espeically for such a detail oriented film. Second, I do think 3D glasses dim the picture. Third, I saw the first two in 3D last fall, and to tell you the truth, wasn't that impressed. Even with Avatar, I feel that after about 20 minutes your eyes adjust and you forget about the 3D. Besdies, Pixar movies have always looked 3D to me, even at home on my TV. They're just that well made.

Now, we probably will head to the other side of town to the real IMAX screen later this week to see it again. But, that's more for the size than the 3D. It's a journey in itself to look around each frame at the peripheral details Pixar puts there.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved the posters in Andy's room. The "PU" flag (Pixar University) was a great touch. But there was so much there it'd take several times through the film to get it all.

How many caught the toaster in the dump? (ala "Brave Little Toaster" .. ) there were some great, great flashes of throwbacks thrown in throughout this thing.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds familiar -- my youngest son was 2 1/2 when TS came out and was his first Go to the Theater Movie ever and he was a happy camper. I don't think he took his eyes off the screen once or even peeped at anything he wasn't supposed to. His 6yo brother was happy and Parents were thrilled. By TS2 both kids were in prime experienced movie going mode, but not old enough to be Teenage Tough kids. Now oldest is Jr in college and youngest is Senior HS 17yo so I hope somebody besides me will admit to wanting to see a Disney movie -- might just have to take Wifey and not worry about whp's tears are whose.

Originally Posted by Chad R

To begin with, we went with my nephew and sister-in-law. Here's the trick: when my nephew was 2 1/2 years old, my wife (then fiancee) and I went to see the original Toy Story with them. Now? My nephew is 17 years old. The same age as Andy in the film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just got back and have a lot to process and say...

...but I thought I'd add quick that Zurg shows up in the new load of toys which are donated to the day care center during the closing credits.

I also wondered if the "95" on the engine of the train during the opening sequence was a nod to 1995 (the year TS opened).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks