What's new

"Thriller" Complete Series Box Set Price Watch! (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
OK, let's have a continuing thread on the best pricing for the upcoming "Thriller" Complete Series Box Set.

Deep Discount-$101.99.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
$101.00 for Two Seasons? FUGGADABOWDIT!/img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Agree fully! Plus that's two seasons of a 60 min. series with 67 episodes! The MSRP *should* be the current *low* price or ~$90-$100 tops, not $150! This should have a "sale" price of ~$50-$60 with a "regular" price in the $75-$85 range. Do they think this is a "Star Trek" series?!?

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Howie, first, Thriller was a 60 min. series, not a 30 min. series. Second, the same sci-fi/horror geeks who will buy everything issued in said genre(s), and buy everything multiple times, and who purchased Star Trek at enormously inflated prices, are certainly a potential customer base for this set, due to Boris Karloff's presence. Third, this is not a bare-bones set, lacking extras, where A/V quality will be an issue. It will be comparable to the Twilight Zone season sets that Image issued a few years ago. To suggest that it should have a MSRP of $60 is ridiculous. Look at the MSRP of the Paramount half season sets! Shout! Factory's Tales of the Gold Monkey@$49.97- for 22 episodes! If this set is unaffordable for you now ($101.99), just be patient. The price will eventually drop.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Regulus
$101.00 for Two Seasons? FUGGADABOWDIT!/img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif
You're absolutely right! What a ridiculously cheap price. What a steal. When I recorded mine off the air in the 80s, high grade tape cost around $15 so at 2 episodes a tape, it was around $500 for the series. Perhaps if you are serious about this price being too high then a cheaper hobby might be in order.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
$500? Boy did you get Gypped! I'll just wait until it gets down to $9.99, then I'll snatch it up with one of those Targhee or Wally Cards the Car Dealers give away! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Regulus
$500? Boy did you get Gypped! I'll just wait until it gets down to $9.99, then I'll snatch it up with one of those Targhee or Wally Cards the Car Dealers give away! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Good for you! You got lucky on this one. Let me know how lucky you get on shows like The Wonder Years and WKRP in Cincinnati recorded off-air with the original music. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by ToddR2
Howie, first, Thriller was a 60 min. series, not a 30 min. series. Second, the same sci-fi/horror geeks who will buy everything issued in said genre(s), and buy everything multiple times, and who purchased Star Trek at enormously inflated prices, are certainly a potential customer base for this set, due to Boris Karloff's presence. Third, this is not a bare-bones set, lacking extras, where A/V quality will be an issue. It will be comparable to the Twilight Zone season sets that Image issued a few years ago. To suggest that it should have a MSRP of $60 is ridiculous. Look at the MSRP of the Paramount half season sets! Shout! Factory's Tales of the Gold Monkey@$49.97- for 22 episodes! If this set is unaffordable for you now ($101.99), just be patient. The price will eventually drop.
You're correct about that 60 min. issue - my calculator "slipped" somewhere... and due to that, yes, to suggest a ~$60 MSRP *is* somewhat "ridiculous" - to a degree.

Due to that I updated my original post. *BUT* - it's *still* overpriced at the MSRP level IMHO.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was able to preorder mine from Amazon for $62......of course it helped that I had $47 of gift cards from trading in DVDs to Amazon I no longer had any use for. :)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Nice! I paid $105.99 at Amazon.
I also applied a $25.00 gift card which brought the price down to $80.99.

Originally Posted by Jack P
I was able to preorder mine from Amazon for $62......of course it helped that I had $47 of gift cards from trading in DVDs to Amazon I no longer had any use for. :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I got a good deal as well when i pre-order thriller as well. It is too bad TV does not have shows like outerlimits, tales from darkside, night gallery, thriller, etc anymore. This reality tv just does not do it for me.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Originally Posted by ToddR2
$95.99 + free shipping @ DVD Empire.
I also got $8.00 off that price and got it for $88.00 total because if you place an order at DVD Empire and use the code 1543775 at checkout you get $8.00 off your next order of $60.00 or more. I just ordered another dvd I wanted and then ordered The Thriller set the next day. It expires on September 1st.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The price in my Amazon cart jumped from $97.99 to $107.99 this morning.

At DD it's $101.39.

At B&N, $89.99 -- which is plus tax for me, bringing it to $95.40. Now I wonder if it's in any of the stores at that price, for the additional 10% off. ("near me" = at least 45 minutes driving distance)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ack! No go. Just called, and the store price is $134.99. They at least appreciated my letting them know I'm ordering right away from BN.com.

BestBuy.com

> 97.99

On Edit. It is now listed as "On Backorder". Must be selling pretty briskly.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana
BestBuy.com

> 97.99

On Edit. It is now listed as "On Backorder". Must be selling pretty briskly.
or they just order a few copies and there was more demand that what they order. I purchased my copy from amazon. I have watch about 3 episodes and the appearance is similar to that of Outer limits from the same time period. I like Thriller, because it is very similar to night gallery with way the episodes are introduced. Bela does an amazing job with introducing the show. It is also good seeing the younger version of actors/actresses, like Leslie Nielsen, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks