What's new

Is Lossless Audio Causing the Unexpected in your Home? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
While watching "The Brave One" on Blu-ray which has Dolby TrueHD lossless audio there is a scene where Jodie Foster's character is in a convenience store during an armed robbery. She gets into a shoot-out with the robber and bullets are flying into glass bottles. During the noisy scene with deafening gunshots and shattering bottles, I hear a loud alarm and wonder if it is the convenience store's alarm in the movie or the one in my home.

I stop the movie to discover that the sirens in my alarm system are wailing. While nervously trying to determine if someone has broken into our home or the movie activated our glass break sensor, the company that monitors our alarm system calls. Sure enough, the breaking bottles in the movie activated our glass break sensor.

Talk about realism in movies! It took me an hour to calm down!

Is lossless audio causing the unexpected in your home?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
not particularly lossles-related, but a few years back, doing a three-day LORD OF THE RINGS-EE marathon (one film a night,) during the seige of Minas Tirith, during the trebouchet assult, I had bookshelf speakers leaping off of their shelves... coincidental, of course, but very appropriate!

It seems odd that it'd require lossless audio to fool the glass-break sensors. You'd think their parameters would have to be open enough to handle a variety of different occassions, and that just about any movie soundtrack with a lot of glass, played loud, should work.

Leo

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Leo Kerr

It seems odd that it'd require lossless audio to fool the glass-break sensors. You'd think their parameters would have to be open enough to handle a variety of different occassions, and that just about any movie soundtrack with a lot of glass, played loud, should work.

This is the first time that our glass break sensor has been activated by a movie but that's probably because we normally don't have the alarm system set to Monitor Mode while watching a movie.

I can't complain about the alarm system though because I get faked out by strange sounds coming from the rear speakers more often than the alarm system does and lossless audio makes it a more common occurrence.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the lossless Audio in Up caused my receiver to "OVERLOAD" and shut down. I was 10dB below reference and the only other time I've seen it overload is when running a full bit rate DTS dvd at 3dB below reference (Dances with Wolves, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park and Gladiator have caused an overload shutdown before, but all at a much higher volume level).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

_Man_

Yes, that would be quite a kick if, at the same level, only the lossless track set off the alarm.

I can sniff an "is it DD or is it TrueHD?" type of commercial here, preferably showing a SWAT team arriving at Jay's hideout for the TrueHD track...or maybe that's not a good selling feature?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While it was not caused by lossless audio, I have vibrated my wife's knickknacks off shelves a few times while watching movies. Last time was when I shattered a decorative wine glass that vibrated off a shelf onto the ceramic tile in the kitchen while watching Return of the King: Extended Edition. The climatic scene in the volcanic mountain did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks