Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3D Projectors - do they exist and are they any good

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   GnarlyCow

GnarlyCow

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 08:37 AM

Since I'm building my new home theatre, I want to make sure that my projector (and any other equipment required) can do 3D.  I haven't seen very many projectors on the market that advertise 3D.  I know that the 3D stuff is in it's infancy, so perhaps I should wait a bit.  One suggestion I had was I should get 2 projectors to create the 3D.  Is that looney or is that how it's done with front projection? Also, as far as I understand it, the receiver needs to have HDMI 1.4 to handle the 3D signal.  Is that correct?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   btnphx

btnphx

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 05:19 AM

I have a Optoma GT720 and it says it can handle 3D! I just got a 3D Receiver and perhaps I may have to get a 3D DVD player. Once I do that I can check if the 3D on GT720 really works! Hope this helps!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 04:18 PM

Personally, I would worry about getting what is best for now and not even try to future proof it for later with regards to 3D. Especially, based on the following reasons (unless you have plenty of disposable income): - Projector technology is probably the fastest changing element of an HT, so most likely whatever you buy now will be replaced within 5 years anyway. - Without knowing how well it will perform with 3D it may not be the one you want when the technology is stable. - Who even knows if it will actually work when 3D is ready for prime time. - You will be limiting your choices possibly sacrificing now for a future that doesn't pan out. - Cost, staying one step behind the curve will save you money to make that next purchase in a few years when the dust settles. I would recommend you just focus on getting a projector and DVD player that best suits your needs for now, which will provide you with more optons, as well as probably save you some cash for an upgrade later. For a receiver, I would focus on getting one to use as a prepro and get a separate amp for the power. It is much cheaper to swap out low power but feature rich receivers over time when the amp section has been separated out then to try keeping ahead of the curve with a high-end high-power receiver.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 20 2010 - 10:31 AM

A problem with 3D projection is, "what kind?" A polarization dependant one will also require a special screen -- metalized -- to preserve the polarization. If it's alternating frames, with "shutter glasses," then the screen doesn't matter as much.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,193 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 20 2010 - 11:06 AM

The Optoma HD66 does, and it's decent.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users