-

Photo
- - - - -

Mac Mini Update - Now with HDMI, less value :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 15 2010 - 04:29 AM

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#2 of 11 Graham Perks

Graham Perks

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 04:20 AM

For something that will probably sit powered on all day, 10W is really amazingly low. That'll help with your CO2 emissions.

Having HDMI means one less cable to buy. The $200 server edition might be the better buy, faster and more storage, with OS X Server if you need that too.

#3 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,265 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 16 2010 - 09:10 AM

I don't know why this is so hard for apple, bundle in FrontRow and make a Bluray ROM BTO order option and these would destroy....

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,651 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 16 2010 - 12:32 PM

Destroy what, your wallet?

It would cost $899. $899 for a Blu-Ray player. I can buy a new one for $100. Add in $300 for two EyeTV's to be a dual-tuner DVR, and I'm up to $1199. I can buy a Blu Ray player, two Tivo Premieres, and two years service.

I'm don't see the killer market for that.

#5 of 11 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 16 2010 - 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

I don't know why this is so hard for apple, bundle in FrontRow and make a Bluray ROM BTO order option and these would destroy....

Sam, I think Apple knows the market very well. People don't want BD, FrontRow, or a larger/faster 3.5" desktop HD, no. The most common complaint from potential MacMini buyers was that it just wasn't small enough and it had a big power brick. That, and its old price under valued the hardware.

Apple has now solved those problems and added HDMI as a bonus. :)

Seriously, the mini isn't anything I would buy but I think enough people will see it as "cool" for Apple to sell a bunch of them.

It is a shame because I think Apple could completely dominate the HTPC market if they set that as goal. Unfortunately, they seem to have bigger fish to fry right now.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#6 of 11 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 16 2010 - 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Destroy what, your wallet?

It would cost $899. $899 for a Blu-Ray player. I can buy a new one for $100. Add in $300 for two EyeTV's to be a dual-tuner DVR, and I'm up to $1199. I can buy a Blu Ray player, two Tivo Premieres, and two years service.

I'm don't see the killer market for that.

As a value proposition, I see no difference between what you just described and the current pricing on the actual MacMini.

Sure it would be more expensive, it would also have significantly more capability, take up much less space and use much less power than the HT hardware it would replace. Add casual gaming to the mix, Safari (or whatever web browser you choose) and a dash of iTunes integration to the recordings and I would think people would easily pay $1199, probably more.

However, like the often talked about mid-tower Mac (mini MacPro), I don't think Apple is ever going to do it.

-Keith

#7 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,651 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 16 2010 - 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Plucker 

As a value proposition, I see no difference between what you just described and the current pricing on the actual MacMini.

Well, I have a dim view of the current pricing on the Mac Mini :)

#8 of 11 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 16 2010 - 03:27 PM

ifixit.com has a nice tear down article on the new Mini.

http://www.ifixit.co...revisionid=HEAD

-Keith

#9 of 11 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted June 21 2010 - 01:59 AM

I really wanted to consider the new Mini as I have last years model, but the price for old tech is crazy I just bought a Refrb'd Gateway 2840 for a HTPC for $450 with a i3 processor, 6gb ram, 1 tb Hard Drive and Win 7 Home Premium. Setting up XBMC for Free that runs more formats and it just cannot be beat.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,265 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 21 2010 - 02:34 AM

10 takes:

http://gizmodo.com/5...nibody-mac-mini

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#11 of 11 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,556 posts

Posted June 26 2010 - 01:47 PM

A few months ago I gave my 2 GHz mini to my father and bought a 2.53 GHz model with 4 GB of RAM for about $80 more than the new base mini that has a slower processor and half the RAM.  Built-in hdmi?  What's the big deal?  Both my monitors are hdmi and I just use dvi/hdmi cables.  Plus, to be honest, the back of the old mini is cramped enough as it is.  Making it smaller is not a plus to me.  The thing is already too damn small.  User replaceable RAM is nice, for certain, and the ability to hold 8GB is nice, but doesn't that still cost more than the computer?  I haven't checked prices.  The $100 increase in base price also annoys me a bit.

Aside from that, the Mini is a great little computer.  I'm just not certain this is entirely a step forward, at the moment.  I hope the next generation brings back the sub $600 base price.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.