What's new

YET ANOTHER "HELP ME CHOOSE A NEW TV" THREAD (1 Viewer)

STEREOHEAD

Grip
Real Name
Sergio
Hi! I already have a plasma, its too big for my room redesign now, sooo, I want something smaller, 32 to 40 inches tops, I just dont know what to buy. This TV will be used to play videogames on a PS3.

I wanted to buy a sony, I thought that way, colors displayed by the ps3 would look the way they are meant to look without much calibration (kinda like having a psp go I suppose, I really like it's colors and contrast), but, then I see that some brands like Samsung and Sharp are selling LED TVS (local dimming), which look really good.

Unfortunatelly, at the store they never have the TVs properly connected or calibrated, so, you can never compare accuratelly that way. In the past, when I bought my sony WEGA it was obvious the image quallity was so much better (great color for games), but now, I dunno if it would be a mistake to go with a Bravia, Ive even read that Samsung and Sony use the same screens for their TVs, and Sony wont offer LED tvs.

Anyway, Im tired of calibrating, dealing with ghosting(before having the plasma), not having 1080p, etc. so What TV would you recommend, for the PS3, oh yeah by the way, would you happen to know why would the picture get darker when I turn on the WIDE range of colour? will that be no longer an issue if I go with Sony? anyway, I apologize if my questions are too specific.

On another note, a cousin of mine just bought a new 46" SAMSUNG LCD, her housband now wants an LED, they paid like 1200 for their current tv so, what LED should I recommend them for around the same price?

Thanks a lot people!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
LED is a flavor of LCD.

I really like the LG LED THX certified display, all other LCD flavors have a very narrow viewing angle. That being said, samsung is making some nice budget models.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah. "LED TV" is more of a marketing term than anything. A regular LCD panel uses a flourecesent tube for its back light. An "LED" TV is an LCD panel that uses LEDs (either along the edges or behind to screen.) The screen itself is not made up of millions of tiny light emitting diodes - although someday that might be both technically feasible and affordable for home entertainment systems.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks