-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

help with new hdtv and old receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 j1539f

j1539f

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 13 2010 - 09:54 AM

I'm looking at purchasing a 46" sony lcd tv and have a pioneer vsx-515 receiver.  Will I be able to hook all this up to my direct tv hd receiver and enjoy surround sound with regular tv as well as hook up a blu ray dvd player to everything or do I need to purchase a new receiver that has hdmi inputs and and output.  We also have a Wii we'd like to hook up but not necessary.

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 of 5 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,104 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 13 2010 - 11:00 AM

Depending on the number and types of inputs, you will be able to connect everything to the receiver with digital audio connections and enjoy Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats.

I have 3 DirecTV HD receivers, a Blu-ray player and a regular DVD player all connected to a Pioneer VSX-1014 that does not have any HDMI connections.  I'm in the process of building some RCA cables to connect the multi-channel analog outputs of my Blu-ray player to the multi-channel analog inputs of my Pioneer.  That is the only way I can hear the newer HD audio formats without upgrading my receiver.

#3 of 5 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted June 13 2010 - 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by j1539f 
Will I be able to hook all this up to my direct tv hd receiver and enjoy surround sound with regular tv

Know that the only channels that broadcast in 5.1 surround are HD channels, some premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.), and some PPV channels. Some local channels tell at the beginning of some shows that they are "broadcast in 5.1 surround", but don't know if it comes across on satellite that way. You probably get local channels in HD anyway.

"Regular tv" as you mentioned, is broadcast in stereo. You can set the receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II on a regular channel, and listen to all those that way (simulated surround). They sound pretty good in DPL II.

As Robert_J mentioned about his setup, you can get a blu ray player with the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs, and listen to the HD audio soundtracks of blu ray movies that way. If you have pretty decent speakers, so you can hear the difference in the HD audio and regular DD and DTS, you won't be sorry............. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 5 j1539f

j1539f

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 13 2010 - 12:48 PM

So...if I'm understanding correct.  I'd connect the HD receiver to the pioneer receiver with a digital coaxial cable.  what would I connect to the TV?  Also, how would I connect the blu ray to the TV?  an hdmi cable then the digital audio out to the pioneer receiver or something else?  I'm pretty sure I get what you guys are saying...thanks for the help.

#5 of 5 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted June 13 2010 - 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by j1539f 
So...if I'm understanding correct.  I'd connect the HD receiver to the pioneer receiver with a digital coaxial cable.  what would I connect to the TV?.

Yes. You can use HDMI or component cables (red, blue, and green) from HD receiver to tv, for video.

Also, how would I connect the blu ray to the TV?  an hdmi cable then the digital audio out to the pioneer receiver or something else?

Yes. But as mentioned, if you get a player with the multi-channel analog outputs, you can get the HD audio soundtracks from blu ray movies that way. HD audio isn't possible over digital coax or optical.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...