Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE KARATE KID (2010) Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,017 posts

Posted June 13 2010 - 03:47 AM

Even with what seems like an over-indulgent running time of 140 minutes, the film actually mimicks the core plot, which focuses on laying down a foundation for Dre Parker to learn and train in Kung-Fu by Mr. Han.  Dre Parker is a young 12 year old who has been transplanted to Beijing China due to his mother's job relocation, and Dre gets picked on by other students trained in Kung-Fu, and a reticent apartment maintenance man, Mr. Han, eventually comes to help Dre deal with his issues. Jaden Smith plays Dre, and does a believable job in his major starring role, and Jackie Chan, playing Mr. Han, is getting older, but also wiser.  The rest of the supporting cast of "good" and "bad" and "conflicted" give a good performance to sell the stakes involved in the film. It was a treat to see some of the footage of China in the film, and it'll have a wide demographic appeal, even if it's a remake, it's bigger in its scope at times, but it can also be very local and small to earn some emotional points as Dre learns the value of respect and discipline and honor. I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,170 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 13 2010 - 07:01 AM

While people gripe at the runtime, you have to remember the original film was 130minutes runtime.  So, it's not so much longer then the version that you can get @ home now. Not a bad film, far better then A-Team for me, a solid B.  Decent family fair.  Should have been named "Kung Fu Kid" though.  The cinematography in this film is very, very good.. and the views of the landscape/scenery are great.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,607 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 13 2010 - 08:04 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Karate Kid". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
 Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing