Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound proofing icynene insulation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 PuffnStuff

PuffnStuff

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 12 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi wondering if someone could answer this...I have an exterior basement wall where I plan to build a 2x4 stud wall with a 2" gap between the stud wall and the exterior brick wall. I want to have a foam insulation sprayed into the stud wall but am wondering if the insulation contacts the exterior wall does it negate the purpose of the 2" gap?

Thanks in advance

#2 of 5 SlapMan

SlapMan

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 04 2010 - 05:29 AM

Hey puff,

I'm building a house myself, and I watch alot of HGTV shows like Holmes on Homes.  Everything I've seen and heard, including talking to an Icynene installer is that you DON't want an air gap between the brick/concrete and the icynene.  The spray foam acts as a vapor barrier and insulation.

My suggestion would be to spray the icynene directly to the brick/concrete.  The air-gap to the back of your studs will prevent any thermal transfer between the studs and the brick.  This is the 'best practice" for insulating basement exterior concrete/brick walls.

#3 of 5 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 09 2010 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to Home Theater Forum Daniel and Matt

I watch alot of HGTV shows like Holmes on Homes

You have fine taste in television Matt!

#4 of 5 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 09:09 PM

???

Someone replied to him yesterday, but I doubt he will still be around to read it.....

Perhaps he's a victim of the FB-connection improvement?

Cees

#5 of 5 bartoneblaze

bartoneblaze

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 10:29 PM

No there is no effect of foam insulation sprayed on other wall.The Icynene Insulation its superior fit makes it an ideal sound proofing system, reducing airborne sound transfer through the roof, floor and walls. Outside noises such as road traffic and trains stay outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users