What's new

2010 FIFA World Cup - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, the first match (South Africa vs. Mexico) is only a few hours away, so I figure, let's get a thread started.

I will admit, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to soccer (or association football), and only follow it when the World Cup rolls around. But I can't help but get caught up in the hype.

I believe the time zone difference between Philly and Jo'berg is 6 hours, so that will mean watching a bunch of games at work.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Walter C

In the past, Hollywood should watch the germans play, They can sometimes fall dramatically! From what I have read, top favorites seen to be Spain and Brazil.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
^^^

Yeah, with ESPN/ABC airing all the games live, which means watching majority of them on ESPN 3 (formerly ESPN360.com). Also, I hear USA could go very far in this WC.

Just watched the opening game, with Mexico being robbed of a goal. I would have liked to see the host nation win it, but they ended in a draw.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Don't count England out (my homeland, my team) - they have a real chance this time (as long as they can avoid penalty shoot-outs). The Mexico-S. African result is a bit surprising, but nice that the host nation didn't lose in the opening game. I expected more from Mexico though.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm expecting the US to get 2nd in our bracket and the Germans to get 1st in theirs, which means our first game out of this bracket would be USA vs Germany.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

I'll be rooting for the 2 Koreas and the US, although not much is expected for either of the Koreas.

With the 2nd game (Uruguary-France) ending in a draw as well, all the teams in Group A having 1 point each. One of the announcers was saying that the tie was a letdown for France.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just watched the 2 games from Group B, and glad to see South Korea come away with a win. With a win over Nigeria, I think they can make it to the knockout stage.

2 hours until the first game for Team USA.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
[SIZE= 14px]Why do they call it the FIFA World Cup? Are there other World Cups out there that people were confusing it with?[/SIZE]

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

[SIZE= 14px]Why do they call it the FIFA World Cup? Are there other World Cups out there that people were confusing it with?[/SIZE]
I assume that there are other sports such Alpine and nordic sports that use the term "World Cup".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Exciting game. England's vastly superior offense against Howard's rock solid goalkeeping after that opening shot from Gerard. Poor Rob Green. ABC's broadcast was the first time I got to experience football/soccer in HD, which was an exciting experience.

Question: What is that buzzing noise in the background constantly over both ABC and ESPN's broadcasts? It almost sounds like a horn section, but it never lets up.

Originally Posted by Sumnernor

I assume that there are other sports such Alpine and nordic sports that use the term "World Cup".

Rugby too I believe.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Question: What is that buzzing noise in the background constantly over both ABC and ESPN's broadcasts? It almost sounds like a horn section, but it never lets up.
I couldn't hear it on German TV as I have low-fi ears but there is, I believe, a horn peculier to South Africa - it looks like a long bent tube and is played by the locals. If I hear more about it - will post here.

In regards to the game. I can not claim to be a soccer expert except the US,being the underdogs, were up for the game while England was unorganized - no comparison to the earlier Argentina game, The announcers said at the end of this game that England cannot be one of the favorites to win the world cup, I thought that South Korea, Arg. amd Nigeria were all much better than England.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas

Vuvuzelas.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100611/SPORTS21/6110365/1365/SPORTS/World-Cup-fans-beware-the-vuvuzelas

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2010/06/11/world-cup-update-those-bloody-vuvuzelas/

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Quote:

I believe there is also one for ice hockey as well.

Awfully annoying.

Definitely, and driving me nuts when trying to watch the games.

Glad to see the US pull off a draw, with goalie Howard being the difference, even after taking a nasty hit by one of the English players.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_cups

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Awfully annoying.

From wikipedia:

"During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents."

Sounds like it would work quite well!!!

Jay

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I talked to a friend near Poughkeepsie and he didn't like the sound of the horns. Today I watched the 1st game ALG - Slov and I sortof heard the horns. Currently in the SRB-GHA game I don't hear the horns very much. I assume the background level in the US is higher than in Germany.

Before the World Cup I didn't realize that South Africa was so horny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks