-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Analog vs Digital

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 nomad2180

nomad2180

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 12:12 PM

Is there a difference in required strength needed between the two? Like does digital need a higher db level to run the digital cable? I have 1 tv in my house that was on analog and with the new switch by comcast to the dta its no longer working. I tried the dta in the other room instead of my hd box and it works there so I know the box works. any ideas?

#2 of 3 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 10 2010 - 12:59 PM

Welcome to the forum, Damon.  Posted Image

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  DB is short for decibels and is a measure of sound volume.  It has nothing to do with analog, digital, voltage or signal strength.  DTA normally stands for digital to analog converter.  If you have an analog TV and a digital signal, then you would need a DTA to watch television after a switch from digital service to analog.

And you totally lost me with the reference to your HD box.

It would be very helpful if you would list the make and model of all of your equipment:  TV, HD box, whatever it is that you're calling the "DTA" and any other components (like audio equipment or a DVD player) that is part of your system.  (This will usually be on the back of each piece of gear.  Comcast doesn't make cable boxes or DVRs.  They buy them, usually from Motorola or Scientific Atlanta.  So that's the information we'll need - who makes it and which model it is.)  Then we can try to figure out what is going on.

Regards

Joe

#3 of 3 AudioENG

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 03:45 AM

I think it's misleading to say dB is to measure sound volume.  It is a gain meaurment and can be applied to many things, sound is just one.  Video signal splitters and amplifiers measure their respective loss and gain in dB.

Does the actual coax cable need to be RG6 to be digital compatable? if it's an old RG59 run it might not be compatable with digital