-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Goonies 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,250 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 03:09 AM

GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!

WARNER HOME VIDEO CELEBRATES

THE GOONIES 25TH ANNIVERSARY

ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010

WITH THE DEBUT OF

THE GOONIES 25TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION

ON BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

ASTORIA, Ore., June 7, 2010 – The Goonies R Good Enuff! Relive the wild adventure when The Goonies 25th Anniversary Collector’s Edition debuts on Blu-ray™ and DVD November 2, 2010. Directed by Richard Donner (Superman, Lethal Weapon series, Ladyhawke), the beloved family adventure is presented by one of the most influential personalities in the history of film, Steven Spielberg (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan). Recipient of the American Film Institute Life Achievement Award, Spielberg won the Academy Award® for Best Director for Schindler's List (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1998), as well as the Academy’s coveted Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award (1986). Three of Spielberg's films (JawsE.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Jurassic Park) have broken box office records, each becoming the highest-grossing film made at the time, and The Goonies consistently performs year after year, with DVD unit sales totaling 5.5 million life-to date (source: Nielsen 4/30/10).

The Goonies stars Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy), Josh Brolin (MilkWNo Country for Old Men, upcoming Jonah Hex), Corey Feldman (The Lost Boys franchise), Martha Plimpton (200 Cigarettes), Ke Huy-Quan (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) and Joe Pantoliano (Cats and Dogs franchise, The Matrix).

Overflowing with a treasure chest of premium items that celebrate this cherished film, The Goonies 25th Anniversary Collector’s Editionwill include an exciting new board game, collectible storyboard prints, a 1985 souvenir magazine with captivating behind-the-scenes stories about the actual filming in Astoria, Oregon, including the production design that transformed Astoria into the “Goon Docks,” and a reprint of a 2009 article with updates of the entire cast, as well as producer Steven Spielberg and director Richard Donner. The Goonies 25th Anniversary Collector’s Edition will debut on Blu-ray for $49.99 SRP and DVD for $39.92 SRP. Orders are due September 28, 2010.

The Goonies 25th anniversary celebration begins June 4th, 2010 in Astoria, Oregon with a series of events to honor the film. Several of the original cast members plan to be in attendance during the four-day event*. Additionally, Warner Bros. Consumer Products will be supporting the “Goon Docks,” a retro-retail pop-up shop in Astoria, featuring an array of The Goonies merchandise that celebrates the 25th anniversary of the beloved ‘80s classic film. Fans from all over the world attending the series of events in Astoria will have the opportunity to discover and own treasured, limited-edition products that bring to life The Goonies great adventures. Additional anniversary products will be available later this year online and at specialty retailers. The Goonies 25th Anniversary Collector’s Editions will also be promoted through a national online, publicity and print campaign targeted at Goonies fans of all ages.

The Goonies will also be available On Demand from cable and satellite providers, and for permanent download and digital rental through iTunes, Amazon Video On Demand, PlayStation Store and Xbox LIVE Zune Video Marketplace.

Written by Chris Columbus (Home AloneHarry Potter series, Mrs. Doubtfire) from a story by executive producer Steven Spielberg, The Goonies was originally released in theaters on June 7, 1985. Donner produced with Harvey Bernhard (The Lost Boys) and Spielberg executive produced with Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy (Indiana Jones series, Back to the FutureCurious Case of Benjamin Button).

SYNOPSIS

From the imagination of Steven Spielberg, The Goonies plunges a band of small heroes into a swashbuckling surprise-around-every corner quest beyond their wildest dreams!  Following a mysterious treasure map into a spectacular underground realm of twisting passages, outrageous booby-traps and a long-lost pirate ship full of golden doubloons, the kids race to stay one step ahead of a family of bumbling bad guys…and a mild mannered monster with a face only a mother could love.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

N       Cast commentary with director Richard Donner and all seven actors

N       The Making of The Goonies documentary

N       Cyndi Lauper music video “The Goonies ‘R Good Enough”

N       Theatrical trailer

N       Deleted scenes             

THE GOONIES 25TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION

BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

TRT: 114 minutes

MPAA Rating: PG

Screen Aspect: Widescreen

Audio Specs: English 5.1, Latin Spanish

Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish

U.S. Street Date: November 2, 2010

Order Date: September 28, 2010

Blu-ray Mat# / UPC: 1000092090 / 883929062812

DVD Mat# / UPC: 1000091677 / 883929061334

Blu-ray: $49.99 SRP

DVD: $39.92 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film. For more information: http://warnerblu.warnerbros.com/

About Warner Home Video 
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

About Warner Bros. Consumer Products

Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,329 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 07 2010 - 05:18 AM

I just bought the UK BRD release of this title and I doubt I'll buy it again especially with a MSRP of $50 which means about $35 sale price.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 11 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 07 2010 - 06:00 AM

Wow - fifty bucks for trinkets and essentially the same extras from the old DVD! They're probably gonna use the same transfer too. No thanks

#4 of 11 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,405 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 07 2010 - 06:05 AM

I've paid more than that for unusual board games (I own over 1000 of them), but somehow I doubt that this one is going to be all that "exciting."

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 11 gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 12:46 PM

Looks like it's time to order this from Amazon UK.

#6 of 11 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 07 2010 - 07:11 PM

I was all over this until I saw the price.  Robert, can you confirm what extras are on the UK BD release?

#7 of 11 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted June 07 2010 - 08:57 PM

Ditto.

I thought this would be a re-package of the Target exclusive, or a normally priced special edition, not an expensive box of trinkets edition.  I'm not playing retail exclusive games, and I'm not purchasing an overpriced Happy Meal to get a movie on blu-ray.

Speaking of the UK release, is this it?  It looks like it has the same special features, is region free, and can be delivered to an American doorstep well before Nov. 2nd for a grand total of $15.  Assuming this is not the censored cut that used to be floating around over there, I think I will opt for that instead.

#8 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 07 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm glad they see that these childhood favs still sell to nostalgia buffs.  Imagine if Neverending Story had a set like this instead of barebone?

Yeah, I'll buy it...but on sale.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 11 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,591 posts

Posted June 08 2010 - 04:47 AM

WB is making a big deal about the Goonies 25th anniversary...only to include the same special features from 10 years ago?  No new special features, seriously?

Given the high price point, and the completely stupid idea to include nothing new to the mix WB proves once again that they suck beyond comprehension.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#10 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 08 2010 - 04:54 AM

Certainly the transfer is going to put that DVD to shame...right?  enough doubt to wait and see if it outdoes upconverting...which is should...

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#11 of 11 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 15 2010 - 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

WB is making a big deal about the Goonies 25th anniversary...only to include the same special features from 10 years ago?  No new special features, seriously?

I tried to plant the seed in a chat last year that there are more deleted scenes in the vault. Heck, the liner notes of the recent limited edition score CD mention TWO scenes that weren't included on the DVD!

Even though there's a slim chance they've pulled some of that material, I'm not holding my breath.

/img/vbsmilies/htf/furious.gif

= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival