What's new

Disney takes away one of Blu-rays best features (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Seems pretty clear to me Disney is making freeze framing imposible on some of its titles,I just

noticed that evertime you pause the New Alice in Wonderland ,not only do you get disneys stupid timeline,

You get a picture of the start of the chapter ,and no way of clearly seeing a freeze frame

They did this on Snow White without the chapter picture,but still they are making people keep their dvds!!!

This is a Joke!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This isn't znything new. I've seen this "feature" on blu Ray, probably Disney since the beginning.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, I've seen some "timelines" and other associated crap fill so much of the display that pausing to take in the beauty of a scene is pointless. Haven't seen it much lately though, on what I've been watching. I think Pixars had a lot of it (i.e. Disney). I do like it the way Universal's timelines can be made to totally disappear to leave a clear screen.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That is lame beyond lame. One of my favorite things to do with animation is to pause and marvel at the skill of the artists.....and now Disney isn't going to allow me to do that? I guess that means that I won't be upgrading any of my Disney DVDs to Blu-Ray. This is a HUUUUUUUUGEE deal breaker for me.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Seriously guys? You won't purchase your favorite titles with incredibly superior picture and sound quality simply because you can't pause the film in the way you want?
I'm sure the studios are beating themselves up over this dilemma.....

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Originally Posted by Southpaw

Seriously guys? You won't purchase your favorite titles with incredibly superior picture and sound quality simply because you can't pause the film in the way you want?
I'm sure the studios are beating themselves up over this dilemma.....

NOPE!

I like to study the art of animation. I have countless books on the art form...and have been lustily looking forward to Blu-Rays tru 24FPS capbility for being able to pause on each individual cell. Apparently, Disney doesn't want us to, so I no longer have to send them my money.

I will definintely not be upgrading my old DVDs to Blu, but in the future will I still only buy DVD (I don't know?)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While Disney's Java based menus may caused this, as almost any HTPC owner could tell you, they can be (legitimately) disabled with playback software. I never enable the pop-backs etc. on any studio title, preferring software freezes instead. And so, Disney's move here will impact everyone using a set top player for sure, but not all of us.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I was happy to see monsters inc lets you clear the stuff off to see a still frame,but the alice BR dosn't

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

NOPE!

I like to study the art of animation. I have countless books on the art form...and have been lustily looking forward to Blu-Rays tru 24FPS capbility for being able to pause on each individual cell. Apparently, Disney doesn't want us to, so I no longer have to send them my money.

I will definintely not be upgrading my old DVDs to Blu, but in the future will I still only buy DVD (I don't know?)

I want to watch the movie and couldn't care less about freeze frame and stills of a movie on my tv.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What really annoys me is the way the timelines stay on the screen for several seconds after you un-pause playback.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Now that you mention it, one of the Pixars is quite bad for that, it annoyed me too. Probably Up.

It is apparent that some of us Pause a lot, for whatever reason. I am really bad for that, things need to be done, things need to be fetched. We are so spoilt we're complaining about our conveniences now.

By accident, last night I figured out how to get rid of Universal's timeline, permanently, from a movie. Gets rid of the pop-up menu too though, got to see how portable it is between their BD stuff. I seem to watch an awful lot of Uni BDs...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. I really hate it, too, when the on-screen information gets in the way of the paused image.

This also happens on my Dish Network DVR. I can't tell you how many times I pause a program to read something (a distant sign or something of that sort) only to be blocked by the on-screen time-line. It wreaks absolute havoc on trying to read Chuck Lorre's vanity cards at the end of programs like The Big Bang Theory. They are only on-screen a second. You have to pause them to read them...yet I can't.

[SIZE= 10px]BTW, I cleaned up a couple of typos in the title of this thread.[/SIZE]

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
This also happens on my Dish Network DVR. I can't tell you how many times I pause a program to read something (a distant sign or something of that sort) only to be blocked by the on-screen time-line. It wreaks absolute havoc on trying to read Chuck Lorre's vanity cards at the end of programs like The Big Bang Theory. They are only on-screen a second. You have to pause them to read them...yet I can't.

I have done the same thing with reading Chuck Lorre's cards on DirecTV. The bad thing is that the information bar obstructs part of the screen. The good thing is that the information bar disappears after a couple of minutes on pause and then the entire screen is unobstructed.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Gosh I've been missing out on all the freeze-frame fun. I can't remember the last film I purposely freeze-framed. Might have been Basic Instinct...

I did temporarily pause The Wolfman a couple of hours ago (no resume, new technology, pfft!) the timeline appeared at the bottom of the screen, but most of the picture was still on show, not enough?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The timelines often cover up the subtitles. That's what bothers me. Granted, it's not so hard to rewind a few more seconds, but it's just stupid.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Much of this is the "solution in search of a problem". I mean how elaborate does a "pause" function need to be?

Yet, we have studios using functions and features to "pretty"-up & add a little flair.

Universal's stupid screen-saver wrecks havoc on my Sony. If I pause a Universal BD for more than :45 seconds, their screen saver starts. Sometimes it won't stop without me restarting the entire damn thing. And suffering through the load-up, the billion FBI warnings, disclaimers, Spanish disclaimers, Spanish FBI warnings & forced trailers all over again!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by David Deeb

Much of this is the "solution in search of a problem". I mean how elaborate does a "pause" function need to be?
If you create authoring software that allows the programmer to add features A, B, & C, you can bet A, B, & C features will be on the disc. I think I've even seen the back of the cases brag about the "timeline" as a feature. Count me in the camp of "eh, who cares."

BTW, with your DTV DVR once you hit pause, hit the exit key and the timeline bar will go away.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Btw many of todays HD TV sets have a built in freeze frame function if you must have that perfect still frame, it's on the remote, the downside is the film is still playing while you're ogling the shot. It works with tv signals it should work with dvds and blu-rays too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks