What's new

reducing 5.1 to 2.1 - ideas for a solution to use headphones (1 Viewer)

lbk

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I have a 5.1 HTIB. I also have an infant, so at night, I want to use my wireless headphones. There is no headphone jack on the receiver - and the only outputs are for the 5 speakers. How am I going to get sound to the wireless transmitter? The transmitter simply requires that I hook up a L and a R anolog sound cable. I thought maybe I could splice into the front L & R speaker wires, but I don't think that is going to work properly because voice comes mostly from the front middle speaker. What I really need (I think) is a switch box of some sort that has a headphone jack. That would do it. Any ideas on a way that I could accomplish this? Can I do it by splicing into the speaker wires?

lbk

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
The only outputs are video outputs. That is the way almost all HTIBs are configured.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Does your TV have an headphone jack? Because I don't see any way you could something into the existing speaker wires and have it work.

Regards,

Joe.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by lbk
That is the way almost all HTIBs are configured.

Actually, it's typical of HTiB systems that have a DVD player integrated into the surround sound unit itself. Some HTiB systems (ones that are built around an actual A/V receiver) do have the necessary outputs.

If your HTiB has the DVD integrated, and the only audio "output" from the HTiB system are the speaker connections, then you won't be able to listen to DVDs using headphones.

If you have other sources that you'd like to listen to using headphones, then you will need to either hook the headphones up to them directly, or run secondary audio connections from the source(s) to the TV and connect the headphones to the TV.

hawkeye

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
If your TV has red/white RCA output you can get an adapter. Red and white male into your TV on one end and a 1/8" or 1/4" female on the other end for your headphones. I did that with my TV. But you have no volume control. The volume on mine is fine. You can also get a volume control and add it to the extension. It will only lower the volume because there would be no way to amplify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks