Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal Reissues: Charley Varrick & Madigan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 07:38 AM

Does anyone know if the Universal reissues of CHARLEY VARRICK and MADIGAN are in anamorphic widescreen. VARRICK was released full-frame a couple of years ago and MADIGAN in a non-anamorphic widescreen/letterboxed transfer. I have a bad feeling that both are just being dumped back onto the marketplace, but can't find any news whether or not these have been fixed or improved-- or are straight reissues. It's really pathetic if nothing has been done to these titles-- I'd buy them in a heartbeat otherwise.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 01 2010 - 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty 

Does anyone know if the Universal reissues of CHARLEY VARRICK and MADIGAN are in anamorphic widescreen. VARRICK was released full-frame a couple of years ago and MADIGAN in a non-anamorphic widescreen/letterboxed transfer. I have a bad feeling that both are just being dumped back onto the marketplace, but can't find any news whether or not these have been fixed or improved-- or are straight reissues. It's really pathetic if nothing has been done to these titles-- I'd buy them in a heartbeat otherwise.

I wasn't aware of an R1 recent reissue until you posted here.  I see the Amazon (US) product page release date 06/01/10 and it lists the release as full screen.  If the listing is correct, it appears that Universal just re-issued the same transfer in a new pkg.

I bought the R2 version of "Varrick" since I wasn't sure when/if we'd see an anamorphic version in R1.  The Amazon UK link is here .  The product page doesn't specify anamorphic but it is an anamorphic release.  The transfer Q isn't great but it's easily watchable, imo.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 09:52 AM

Charley Varrick is a great movie! What is it's proper aspect ratio? Was it shot full screen or widescreen?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 01 2010 - 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jdee28 
Charley Varrick is a great movie! What is it's proper aspect ratio? Was it shot full screen or widescreen?

Well, this has been an interesting point of discussion here in the past.  Here's what IMBD lists:

1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

If I recall, the Laser Disc version was 1.85:1 .

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 01 2010 - 12:14 PM

A few days ago, I investigated those two releases and believe they're just re-releases of the same discs that came out several years ago that were letterbox, but not anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 01 2010 - 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

A few days ago, I investigated those two releases and believe they're just re-releases of the same discs that came out several years ago that were letterbox, but not anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy,

Were you referring to the two R1 releases?

It's been a while since I watched my R2 copy and I checked it out.  It's not letterbox.  It appears to be 16:9 anamorphic.

It does say "letterbox" on the R2 box but it's not, as far as I can see.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 12:53 PM

Crawdaddy

Thanks for the info, guys-- what a shame that these are STILL being treated like the proverbial redheaded stepchildren of the home video world.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 04:13 PM

According to DVD Savant review Charley Varrick disc is full frame open matte transfer.

Crawdaddy

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 04:50 PM

I own the U.S. DVD and it's Full Frame. It was the ultimate "no frills" release in that it didn't even have a menu and the film just started once you put the DVD in the machine.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 01 2010 - 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by GregoryMesh 

According to DVD Savant review Charley Varrick disc is full frame open matte transfer.

Yes it is, but my point is that these new releases are just re-releases of those prior dvds.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 10:10 PM

Sorry, my misunderstanding.  I thought you were saying that the transfers were letterboxed...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 02 2010 - 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by GregoryMesh 

Sorry, my misunderstanding.  I thought you were saying that the transfers were letterboxed...

I was saying the transfers are the same as before whether it is letterbox for Madigan or full frame for Varrick.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing