Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So, I finally started watching Battlestar Galactica

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 of 131 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,905 posts

Posted July 02 2010 - 08:57 AM

FINAL WARNING

Did I not ask that we stop this debate between

the two series?

Did all of you not read that request?

Nobody is going to get creamed here because

the next person that is looking to threadcrap here

is going to get their account suspended.

Thank You.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#122 of 131 kowalski65

kowalski65

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted July 03 2010 - 06:17 AM

I'd like to apologize for pulling the conversation into directions the site owner and most of those commenting didn't want it to go.

I thought comparing the original series to the recent one was relevant to the discussion, but I (and Jack) seem to be in the minority. So I'm done here now, I won't jump back in even if somebody torpedoes me, promise. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(I do wish someone would start a thread about "re-imagined" movies, series, etc., though. A new "Hawaii Five-O" series is about to come out of the chute. My fingers are crossed.)

#123 of 131 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted July 03 2010 - 07:24 AM

I thought this series was extremely disappointing.  I started out loving it, but by the third season I just lost interest.  I think BSG is much like Firefly in tone, and the style of filming.  Firefly would have been perfect....if it hadn't gotten canceled.

I can't wait for Ronald Moore's "The Thing" remake though.  He is a very talented writer.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#124 of 131 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,467 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 03 2010 - 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

I think BSG owes a lot of debt to Firefly for tone...

What? Maybe I don't remember Firefly that well but I think the tones of both series are very, very different. BSG was a grim and serious series while Firefly was a fun western in outer space.

#125 of 131 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted July 03 2010 - 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

What? Maybe I don't remember Firefly that well but I think the tones of both series are very, very different. BSG was a grim and serious series while Firefly was a fun western in outer space.

Firefly was very dark, and seriously dramatic.  It was funny in spots, but humor is a part of life.  For every 'fun' moment in Firefly there are 20 more 'sad' moments.  Great show.

In the BSG pilot look for the Firefly ship.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#126 of 131 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted July 03 2010 - 07:57 AM

Posted Image

Here is the Firefly ship in the BSG pilot.  The creators of BSG were huge fans.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#127 of 131 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 08:18 PM

When that scene was revisited in one of the final episodes, the Firefly was gone. But I'm glad it is there in the pilot.

The same effects house did Firefly and BSG. They'd become really good at the "hand held camera...in space!" style with Firefly, and it seems that the effects people sold the concept to the bearded producer of Galactica because they felt it was a really good style for making things seem real. (I'm forgetting his name at the moment.) In his commentaries he doesn't credit Firefly for the style, but he's likely not being rude, rather he was probably sold on the concept by the effects people and hadn't ever seen Firefly himself. No one saw Firefly when it was on!

P.S. Curses HTF for putting that "CLEAR" button right where one expects a "SUBMIT" button to be! And no "undo"!

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#128 of 131 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hey, notice how those buildings outside the windows are also the apartment complex where Boomer ended up as she was adjusting to her new life.

I think it is also the apartment complex where Starbuck was held prisoner.

The room itself (with the slanted wall windows) is also the "V" visitors' embassy on "V".

It gets used far too much.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#129 of 131 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 06:01 AM

No one saw Firefly when it was on!

[/quote]
I hear ya!!  I think I was the only one to watch it first-run....and the excitement of watching such a great  show are sadly starting to fade.

Fox Fridays my eye!!/img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

housekeeping 2.jpg

#130 of 131 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,749 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 12:29 AM

Not sure if this was posted here, but here's a recent article about Ron Moore saying his days on Deep Space Nine influenced BSG:

http://trekmovie.com...eep-space-nine/

Moore's been one of my favorite writers since his days on TNG and DS9. He's done some really outstanding work, and as I have said from time to time, really deserves all the success he has had.

#131 of 131 hampsteadbandit

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 08:32 AM

I watched BSG "Mini Series" for the 6th time last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it again!

and of course I made sure to watch out for "Serenity" flying in the windows above the Doctor's surgery when the future Madam President is receiving news about her cancer

loved Firefly / Serenity motion picture and totally loved BSG mini series and the first couple seasons...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users