Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: DAYBREAKERS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 03:04 AM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,603 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 27 2010 - 03:34 AM

Does the update give you an option to proceed with the download or does it start automatically if you do not sever the connection to the internet?  I have a PS3 wirelessly connected to the internet and for every BD disc I insert, it asks if I wish to allow an internet connection (I have always declined so far in nearly three years of use).  Does this movie make an additional attempt at connecting to the net?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 03:38 AM

No, you don't have an option. The disc checks for updates automatically and proceeds without user intervention. The only way to prevent the download is to disconnect from the internet.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,603 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 27 2010 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  I was going to rent this soon, so it's good to know (though annoying that it exists in the first place).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 03:46 AM

It's always possible that the problems are limited to Panasonic players (or even specific models). They might not appear on a PS3. But the difference between playing this disc with and without an internet connection was so dramatic (i.e., the difference between being able to play it and not) that I thought it was better to feature the issue prominently.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,511 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 27 2010 - 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDA 

Does the update give you an option to proceed with the download or does it start automatically if you do not sever the connection to the internet?  I have a PS3 wirelessly connected to the internet and for every BD disc I insert, it asks if I wish to allow an internet connection (I have always declined so far in nearly three years of use).  Does this movie make an additional attempt at connecting to the net?

I think you may have it set up to ask that in your uh, settings or you can just set it do do it automatically when a disc is inserted as I have.

I didn't have any problems with tis disc on my 60g ps3.

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 15 2010 - 04:42 AM

I saw this movie yesterday on DVD and enjoyed it a lot.  Even the zombie-film-like ending fit the story in a logical way.  As genre flicks go, it was very intelligent.  (Second-best Willem Dafoe vampire film of all time! :) ) That sucks about the update issues though. The making-of feature on the DVD was around 84 minutes -- is the one on the BD really that much longer?  I might consider adding this to the collection sometime. BTW, having seen the film without knowing much about it, I thought the nature of Willem Dafoe's character was a really neat twist.  That might be worthy of a spoiler tag in the review (unfortunately the trailer makes that, and other story twists, all too clear).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users