What's new

Deanna Durbin TCM Box Set (1 Viewer)

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Has the Deanna Durbin Box Set announced as a retail Movies Unlimited Only issue been released yet? I cannot locate reviews on the picture quality and noticed its back ordered.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Mine hasn't shipped yet. I'll review it at DVD Beaver as soon as I get it.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Thanks everyone for your comments. Im a big Deanna Durbin fan and have been looking forward to this set for some time. I will look for the DVD Beaver review soon.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Thanks for sharing the Deanna website CanadaStar! Appreciate it!!!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
So apparently this was moved to June 30th.

I've been wanting another Durbin set, but in today's economy, I was really wanting something in the price range of the earlier set.
Any word on whether these are to be pressed discs or not?

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
I saw a commerical for this set on TCM and it mentioned it would have photo galleries, rarely seen video and a special introduction by Robert Osborne.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Thanks Kelly. I wonder if there's tentative plans for her other movies as well?

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Yeah I hope TCM and Universal will remain the rest of her movies. One film of hers I would love to see released is Christmas Holiday. Deanna plays against type in this film along with Gene Kelly and both showcase their acting talents! I don't know if Universal owns the right to the film anymore. I do know it was released on DVD from another studio a couple years ago so it makes me wonder who owns the rights.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY was released in the UK as part of the Durbin set. All but two films of hers were released. It was only SPRING PARADE and IT'S A DATE that didn't make the set. PARADE has, I don't believe, ever made it to home video in any official form. IT'S A DATE, which seems to turn up on TCM more than any of her other films, I don't know what the problem is. It could be because of Warner remaking it and buying the rights. I'm not sure.

There have been a few companies that have tried to sell versions of her films on Amazon, claiming they were public domain. But the only official release was that first "Sweetheart Pack"

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
"Christmas Holiday" sure is a misleading title for as dark a picture as this one. With it starring Deanna Durbin and Gene Kelly, one would expect it to be a light, frothy musical suitable for the entire family. In reality Deanna Durbin is little better than a common call girl who is married to a brutal excaped convict played by Gene Kelly. There's murder and all sorts of mayhem in this one. I wonder how popular it was on its initial release. I could see a lot of Durbin's old-lady fan base being repelled by what they saw.

By the way, it's a nifty little noir and I'd love to own a copy.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I saw Christmas Holiday once on PBS, I think. This was maybe 20-25 years ago. What a depressing picture - I can only imagine the reaction of the wartime audience. But I would love to see it again. The standard "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year" was introduced in that film (and Oscar-nominated for Best Song.)

By the way, Warners owns the rights to It's A Date since MGM purchased the rights to the film for the Jane Powell-Ann Sothern remake Nancy Goes To Rio. Warners did release It's A Date on VHS but as I recall, the print used was in rather poor shape.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, if you are interested in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, it can be found complete on YouTube (albeit broken up into 10 minute segments.)

Granted it isn't ideal but you can at least see how it holds up.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Mine has not shipped yet. Considering this title being a store exclusive, I don't think Universal is providing review copies for it...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the issue is with the rights for SPRING PARADE? It has never been issued even on VHS and was one of the two films not included in the UK DVD set.

It was released by Universal but something happened along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks